• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    Can someone explain to me (or direct me to the appropriate page of this 126 page thread) what if any effect this has on Maryland's "good and substantial" CC requirement? It seems like DC had nearly identical requirements to Maryland, so if this was blocked by the court in DC why hasn't it been blocked in MD too? Sorry I haven't been able to follow this thread close enough. I've read like 25 pages of it today and I still can't find my answer. Thanks in advance...

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Can someone explain to me (or direct me to the appropriate page of this 126 page thread) what if any effect this has on Maryland's "good and substantial" CC requirement? It seems like DC had nearly identical requirements to Maryland, so if this was blocked by the court in DC why hasn't it been blocked in MD too? Sorry I haven't been able to follow this thread close enough. I've read like 25 pages of it today and I still can't find my answer. Thanks in advance...
    DC is in a different Circuit.

Must go to SCOTUS to help us.

:(

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    So one circuit can go one way, and another circuit can rule the opposite on essentially the same exact argument, and it just stays like that??? We have no recourse? If I heard correctly DC is not going to SCOTUS on this right?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

In a word, "yes," unless and until the SCOTUS takes the appropriate case and reconciles the split between the circuits.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    So one circuit can go one way, and another circuit can rule the opposite on essentially the same exact argument, and it just stays like that??? We have no recourse? If I heard correctly DC is not going to SCOTUS on this right?

Yes,

DC is within the 90 day window, where it can petition the supreme court for cert.

Unlikely as it may seem, DC may choose to change their mind and appeal to the Supreme Court. That is a million to 1 longshot though.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Frustrating to say the least. What looked like a huge win for blocking G&S winds up doing (so far) nothing for us. Now I'm depressed...

:D

evan-williams-bottled-in-bond-bourbon-review.jpg

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    For those that didn't watch, Racine admits he and Brian talked.

I can imagine how that convo went.

I bet it started with Please, Please, Please and ended with a Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou !

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    For those that didn't watch, Racine admits he and Brian talked.

I can imagine how that convo went.

I bet it started with Please, Please, Please and ended with a Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou !

Yes and specifically about this issue.
    Near the end at around 13:45 min.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Very confusing indeed. But remember the training requirement was meant as a roadblock, so no wonder.

I'm not in support of this requirement, but let's keep in mind it exists in other states. is it the maximum of what is typical? Yes. Is it the same as some other jurisdictions? yes.
    Sacramento:
    New CCW Permits: 16-hour training course that includes instruction on firearm safety and the law regarding the permissible use of a firearm. You must qualify with each firearm you want listed on your CCW Permit (maximum 3 firearms).
    CCW Permit Renewals (every 2 years): Prior to renewal, complete a 4-hour legal firearms update refresher course. Qualify with each firearm you want listed on your CCW Permit.
    Range Qualifications: You must qualify biennially (every two years) or upon renewal of your permit with the firearms listed on your permit. If you want to add or remove firearms from your permit, a qualification is required on each firearm you want listed on the permit.

I think it is correct to see it as both an impediment and as not entirely unreasonable in a dense urban environment. the same thing can be bad and good.

Personally I do not want to see CCL with bad shootings.

Even if 90% of our pals know everything about safe handling, proper attitudes toward lethal force, avoiding bad outcomes, have an understanding of lethal force laws, we've all had experience with people who really do not know anything as well.

My kids all had Hunter education when they hit ten years old which qualifies you in some states for carry. You learn not to stand up in a boat, dress warm, how to not fall out of a tree stand and how to identify action on several firearms, and not to shoot a deer uphill over the horizon, but you don't learn there that you ca'nt shoot someone running out the door with you TV

my course was an NRA instructor and 80% an amalgam of NRA personal protection I and personal protection II (outside the home) plus DC law, plus qualifying (I hit everything perfect first time out of sheer luck) with having a professional also look and advise me on drawing and holstering safely.

So I absolutely get questioning the 16 hours. My personal view is that the 16 hours is not so much of a problem as the training expiry before ten years or two year license instead of more reasonable 3 to 5 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom