• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Although I will say this, even if the complete frames weren't subject to the 77R and HQL - I'd still pass for 2 reasons.

1 - 80% frames are more about learning. I've had fun learning how to make these run well, and how to screw them up.

2 - I actually prefer the grip angle and some of the other ergo's over the Glock frames.

If 80%'s were really about building 'ghost' or 'drop' guns, there wouldn't be so much traffic about them being posted. There's a variety of reasons why people choose to go this route, but one of them is the fact that some people have this natural curiosity with seeing just how things work, and the best way to satisfy that is to build it yourself.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    The factory frames are sold not because there is a big market for them, but because they might as well sell them since they're parting out brand new guns to sell as parts kits. At that point, it's free money since the parts kits and mags sell for more than complete guns.

Thought frames alone were 4473, and no HQL. What if you wanted it for a MechTech or something like that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These frames are take-offs, so they were already built as "handguns" at some point.

I recall seeing an MD AG letter saying that brand new frames "intended" to be built as handguns required HQL and MD77R, whatever the hell that means.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Went to the range this morning with my two Poly80 G19 frames and one slide that I shared between them. I’m very disappointed. Neither frame runs worth a shit.

I have a few BNIB Poly80 frames I’ll keep in case a panic buy ensues on them, otherwise factory guns for me. No way I’d rely on Poly80 for my life.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    What kind of issues?

Between the handful that I've done, aside from the V1 17 that went full rock and roll, these have been relatively failure free on my end.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Went to the range this morning with my two Poly80 G19 frames and one slide that I shared between them. I’m very disappointed. Neither frame runs worth a shit.

I have a few BNIB Poly80 frames I’ll keep in case a panic buy ensues on them, otherwise factory guns for me. No way I’d rely on Poly80 for my life.

OEM slides and parts? Everyone I know who has done one with OEM only parts hasn't had an issue.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Of course not. All aftermarket parts :(

I didn’t bring my factory Glock Gen 3 19 to see if that slide works any better.

That sucks dude!!!! My 19 had a stovepipe my first round and then a stove pipe when a new shooter took the helm (limp wrist) otherwise it’s had about 400 flawless rounds.

Mentally I’d never carry it but as Brad stated above it was more or less about learning.

What issues where you encountering? I doubt i can help any but I’m curious.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Won’t run 4 consecutive rounds without some sort of issue. Have a few stove pipes but mostly failure to feed (rounds got jammed up and would not feed, had to drop mag and rack slide to clear).

Occasionally the slide would lock back when it shouldn’t but I’ll attribute that to me engaging the oversized slide stop.

I think I may have installed the .40 ejector (Lone Wolf parts kit includes both) but don’t think that would cause a FTF.

Oh, also trigger pin started walking out. Total POS.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Pins walking, that sucks - but can be remedied with a soldering iron. I actually had that issue on one of my first frames where I made a 2nd pass on the holes, and opened them up more than they needed. One thing I learned was, don't try to run the bit thru both holes (or run the bit thru more than once) - the slight misalignment by only drilling 1 hole at a time, helps maintain a good friction fit on the pins. Drilling by hand is actually beneficial, a drill press will be counter-productive. You can use the soldering iron to flow some material in around the pins, and they'll stay put until you physically drive them out.

40 ejector on 9mm can cause some ejection/feed issues due to the different length/contour, I've shot my .357Sigs with a 9mm ejector and it wasn't 100%, but it'd run.

Between my 31 and 32, I've got an honest 2500+ rounds thru these. And while I wouldn't carry one daily, I wouldn't hesitate to grab one for 'bump in the night' duty. Get your pin situation squared away, and then try the factory slide and mags. I'd be willing to bet that'll behave better for you. **New build, I'd also suggest some warmer ammo also.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    A friend of mine has done a couple 17's. My factory 34 slide functioned flawlessly on both. His factory 17 slide was flawlessly as well. He had an aftermarket slide that was defective and would not reset the trigger. He is waiting for the replacement. Aftermarket slides seem to be hit or miss. Where di you get the aftermarket slide?

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    A friend of mine has done a couple 17's. My factory 34 slide functioned flawlessly on both. His factory 17 slide was flawlessly as well. He had an aftermarket slide that was defective and would not reset the trigger. He is waiting for the replacement. Aftermarket slides seem to be hit or miss. Where di you get the aftermarket slide?

Slide is Spinta Precision

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Pins walking, that sucks - but can be remedied with a soldering iron. I actually had that issue on one of my first frames where I made a 2nd pass on the holes, and opened them up more than they needed. One thing I learned was, don't try to run the bit thru both holes (or run the bit thru more than once) - the slight misalignment by only drilling 1 hole at a time, helps maintain a good friction fit on the pins. Drilling by hand is actually beneficial, a drill press will be counter-productive. You can use the soldering iron to flow some material in around the pins, and they'll stay put until you physically drive them out.

40 ejector on 9mm can cause some ejection/feed issues due to the different length/contour, I've shot my .357Sigs with a 9mm ejector and it wasn't 100%, but it'd run.

Between my 31 and 32, I've got an honest 2500+ rounds thru these. And while I wouldn't carry one daily, I wouldn't hesitate to grab one for 'bump in the night' duty. Get your pin situation squared away, and then try the factory slide and mags. I'd be willing to bet that'll behave better for you. **New build, I'd also suggest some warmer ammo also.

Lone Wolf makes their Lower Completion Kit with both ejectors for that reason. It's an easy change both ways.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Won’t run 4 consecutive rounds without some sort of issue. Have a few stove pipes but mostly failure to feed (rounds got jammed up and would not feed, had to drop mag and rack slide to clear).

Occasionally the slide would lock back when it shouldn’t but I’ll attribute that to me engaging the oversized slide stop.

I think I may have installed the .40 ejector (Lone Wolf parts kit includes both) but don’t think that would cause a FTF.

Oh, also trigger pin started walking out. Total POS.

How is the slide stop not retaining the trigger pin? Was it made without the slots?

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    On the Glock 17 and G19 Polymer80% builds, does one want to use a ramped or non-ramped barrel?
    What are you all using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom