• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RepublicOfFranklin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 16, 2018
    The ‘Dena - DPRM
    Pittman is a horse’s ass. Prances about trying to whine about gun control in a county without a real violence problem; while passing tax increases and trying to force in Section 8 to make us more crime ridden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I can't even watch the news. I either a hate monger, a white supremest, or or racist. It's getting a bit old.
    I’m getting a little sick of it too. I look inside myself to try to find my racism, and can’t find anyone.

DivingDriver

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 14, 2016
    Nanjemoy MD
    credit to Keith Shannon on a piece done for Quora

"Why do people believe there are 20,000 gun laws in the US?

Because there are.

Just at the Federal level, you have laws defining terms as basic as what a “firearm”, “pistol”, “rifle”, “shotgun” etc. are (and they aren’t always intuitive; black-powder rifles are in fact not “firearms” under Federal law), more laws prescribing the licensing and permitting of people or companies that make, sell, repair, or modify firearms and what they can or cannot do, then laws making it a crime to do various things specifically relating to firearms. The ATF as a Federal agency is defined, and its policies, procedures, rules and regulations are codified as Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations (with some older regulations, from back when the ATF’s predecessor agencies were tax collectors under what’s now the IRS, in Title 26). Chapter 1 of this Title, by itself, is 886 printed pages long as of 2006. That’s only 39 sections of the Title. Going by the price to print these codes by the GPO, Chapter 2 is roughly double the size, Chapter 3 about half the size, so we’re talking somewhere on the order of 3,000 total pages of regulatory law on the topics of alcohol, tobacco and firearms. Let's assume just for argument that the “firearms" portion constitutes a third of that code, the other two thirds being for “Alcohol” and “Tobacco”; that is a thousand pages of regulatory law dealing with a single agency of the Federal Government directly concerned with firearms.

That’s not counting Title 18 Chapter 44 of the US Code, the legislated statutory law concerning firearms, consisting of 15 sections and subsections each with up to two dozen paragraphs, each of which can have hundreds of clauses. Section 922 is basically everything an ordinary person can do to land themselves in a Federal prison for doing something they shouldn’t with a firearm, without anyone getting hurt. It consists of 26 subsections (literally A through Z) each with multiple indexed paragraphs and clauses.

Then there’s State laws. Just in Texas, TPC Chapter 46 defines the crimes you can commit just by having a weapon in your possession. Chapter 19 covers homicide, Chapter 20 covers kidnapping and Chapter 22 covers assaults while Chapter 29 covers robbery (all of which are “aggravated” by the display of a deadly weapon), Chapter 30 deals with trespassing including trespass with a firearm, Chapter 9 covers justification for the use of force including deadly force, and TGC Chapter 411 covers licensing of individuals to carry concealed. Provisions of the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Code also apply to firearm ownership and use, specifically the carry of weapons into a TABC-licensed business with or without a permit. And that’s not to mention the Texas Parks and Wildlife Code, officially Title 31 of the larger Texas Administrative Code, which covers training and licensing of hunters, acceptable weapons, means and methods, and open seasons and bag limits for dozens of game species as well as lists of protected and semi-protected species.

That's the bulk of one state’s laws on the topic of firearms. And a fairly gun-friendly state to boot, one which pre-empts most local laws on the topic. One area that isn’t pre-empted is the discharge of firearms, and practically every city and incorporated area has an ordinance restricting or banning the discharge of firearms. Other states do not have full pre-emption, like New York, Colorado, and Illinois, and cities within the State have adopted their own laws that override State law within that area where they differ. NYC's laws overriding State law on the subject of firearms ownership and carry is notorious in itself, as is Chicago's and those of outlying bedroom communities.

Add in the laws of 49 other states, plus all city and county ordinances (which are separate laws because they apply to separate jurisdictions; I can’t be charged with violating a gunfire ordinance from Harris County if I’ve never even been there, even if Tarrant County has an identical provision), plus binding case law, and given all this I think 20,000 codified laws and regulations regarding the purchase, ownership, use and disposal of firearms by ordinary civilians in various jurisdictions of the United States is an under-estimate."

This is a piece written by an author that has done a fairly balanced look at the total laws related to guns.

If you just go by his assumptions there could be many more on the books.

Any one that wants to verify you can go to Quora and type in "How many gun laws are in the United States"

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    The media arm of the Task Farce, otherwise known as the Cap Gazette, was at it again today.

Those bad, bad boys and girls from the Patriot Picket are just hurting everybody's feelings doncha know.

Might want to read it before you sit down for supper.

https://www.capitalgazette.com/opin...0190813-fokuubq3t5gvhgd3vf5dffg53i-story.html

FTA:
    Chamblee has used inflammatory rhetoric that can make even those who agree with her flinch. But suggestions from the Patriot Picket leadership that this makes her fair game for a campaign of bullying is proof that even if they are within their rights to say horrible things — they’re simply a bunch of jerks.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Most gun rights advocates have expressed no desire to work toward reasonable limits on ownership

allow me to translate:

"gun owners fail to recognize that the only acceptable definition of compromise is for them to continue to give up their rights based on what we say without our conceding antything"

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Dear Capital Gazette, how is this for being a jerk?

:moon::kicknuts::tongue01:

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    If you believe what you read in the Cap Gazette it sounds like eight representatives from the 2A community are each going to get two minutes for public comment at the next meeting this Thursday evening and of course the CG recommends that you spend at least a portion of them putting ash on your forehead and repenting for your misdeeds and youthful indiscretions.

The truth is that all attendees can submit their request forms before the meeting and then eight people will be picked "at random" to speak for two minutes. Zero guarantees that all eight speakers will be from the shut out opposition so this is why it is important that we pack the place out this Thursday evening.

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    “PUBLIC COMMENT PERIOD” INFO

Click on the link below to go to the official AACo Task Force website to see the new information about their first TF “Public Comment Period” this Thursday evening (August 15) at 6 PM at the Anne Arundel Medical Center, 7th floor of the Belcher Pavilion.

https://www.aacounty.org/boards-and-commissions/gun-violence-task-force/

This new TF development will benefit us most if we can get a patriotic turn-out, to sign up in greater numbers.

Help our cause and improve the odds of being one of our eight “speakers.”

January is too late to start acting to prevent this corrupt Democrat Trojan Horse from being assembled right under our noses.

Who will heed Our Forefather’s call to preserve Our Liberty?

Put your stamp of courage on this NOW: stand up in person for our Constitutional rights.

Attachments

• A29027A2-3CF4-478F-8B41-CB8320A5A752.jpg
      A29027A2-3CF4-478F-8B41-CB8320A5A752.jpg
      70.4 KB · Views: 204
    • BD6989C0-334C-49EA-8710-3466A144A41C.jpg
      BD6989C0-334C-49EA-8710-3466A144A41C.jpg
      54.8 KB · Views: 208

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members