• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    I am in the process of replacing all the pins and springs in my P226.

Is there anyone on here who has had a hammer reset spring fail?

I have a replacement spring but don't have a punch that small. I thought I might bypass replacing it until it fails. Anyone have problems with one?

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    P226/228/220 all have the same basic config. I have about 50K rounds maybe more between the three guns and never have a reset fail or that matter zero spring failure. Top Gun Supply.com has just about any and all parts needed for any of the P series Sigs. Chris

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    P226/228/220 all have the same basic config. I have about 50K rounds maybe more between the three guns and never have a reset fail or that matter zero spring failure. Top Gun Supply.com has just about any and all parts needed for any of the P series Sigs. Chris

Thanks. I was having a devil of a time finding parts because they were out of stock everywhere, even topgun. Finally found all the replacement springs and pins on midwestgunworks and Wolf Springs for the obscure lower weight recoil springs.

Just replaced the sear spring and installed the 17lb main spring from GrayGuns which was a package of matching springs. They included a different firing pin return spring and safety lock spring but I'm hesitant to install them because I would have to remove the red dot sight that I just zeroed. I have a feeling they might be important in the timing of the recoil and reset.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    I have a similar question? This summer I purchased a P-226 Legion DA/SA. I finally broke it in (about 500 rounds), being new it was quite stiff. Is there a recommended spring replacement schedule? Or any other maintenance, besides regular cleaning, oiling, and greasing after firing? I absolutely love it, and want to keep it in top running form. Thanks ahead of time!

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    What do you mean by stiff? The DA is really heavy. By design, I guess. You can modify it easily.

I would say I had a hard time pushing the slide catch lever until about 500 rounds.

Below is the spring replacement schedule I found online somewhere. Being that it isn't from Sig I don't know how much of it you should follow. Sig does say to replace the recoil spring at 5,000 rounds.

I did a complete disassembly recently then freaked out because I wasn't sure I'd be able to put it back together. Especially when you remove a couple pins and a bunch of crap falls out to the table you weren't expecting to. So glad there are people out there willing to put videos online to help the rest of us. This video is absolutely invaluable. The way this guy explains the complete frame reassembly is so professional I'd pay him if he put it up for sale. The only thing is he doesn't show lubrication of the internal parts. He does everything dry but I'm guessing it would be difficult to film otherwise. Save it before YouTube deletes it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeA1RgrrsMk

If you are mechanically inclined I would install a P-SAIT Short Reset Trigger from Grayguns.com. Same trigger that is on their Legion series. Reduces the take up on the SA and give you the ability to adjust how you like it. I'm guessing most people want it to be as little as possible.

I've replaced some of the springs with "lighter" ones recommended by Grayguns but it definitely turns your self defense gun into a competition pistol only. The SA weight is ridiculously light.

"Barrel: If the pistol exhibits keyholing or unacceptable accuracy.
    Decocking lever spring: 10,000
    Extractor: 20,000
    Extractor spring: 20,000
    Firing pin: 20,000
    Firing pin spring: 20,000
    Magazine spring: When magazine fails to lock the slide open. *
    Recoil spring: 5,000 †
    Roll pins for breechblock retention (pins, HD): 5000 ‡
    Safety lock spring: 20,000
    Slide catch lever and spring: 10,000 §
    Takedown lever: 20,000
    Trigger bar spring: 10,000
    Mainspring: ???

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    It was hard to release the slide, well if was hard on my thumb to release the slide. As it got sore rather quickly. As it is a Legion is has a really great trigger in it already about 8 on dual and 4 on single. Thanks for the information. I got one of those mats from Tekmat for the P226, I find it helpful to see how they are put together.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    It was hard to release the slide, well if was hard on my thumb. It got sore rather quickly. As it is a Legion is has a really great trigger in it already. Thanks for the information. I got one of those mats from Tekmat for the P226, I find it helpful to see how they are put together.

Then you already have the P-SAIT trigger. You can adjust it. I don't think it comes from the factory adjusted to the optimal position. Mine wasn't. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBbDET7qDzk Different trigger, in the video, but same exact way to adjust the P-SAIT.

Keep shooting it. The release is small so it's hard to hit as it is. It'll be stiff for a little while longer but it'll loosen up. I had the same thing.

The Tekmat, I have, shows the extractor for the older P226s. There are a couple extra springs now and a bigger extractor. Not a big deal but most videos online for slide disassembly and reassembly are for the older one.

Have fun with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom