• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Sometimes a high shot deer is brought down by vitals being tucked up towards its spine from being bedded.
    A shot in the same area (I'm Talking archery) on one that's been on its feet awhile may not be as effective because the lungs settled out some.
    I found too that even though you have a good memory picture of where the deer was struck, sometimes when you get to them things are a little different than what was originally captured by the mind.
    Not scientific study here,just some observations.
    Take from it what you want or leave it.
    That young fellows hooked even though he had a bad gig, he'll be out as soon as he can I'm sure.
    Probably weary of going through the event in his head from being disappointed. That'll pass and come back some time later to him.
    Its experience building.

Overall, great observations.

I've read, in many cases of deer getting hit high in the chest(no man's land as it is sometimes called), when the deer hears the bow go off, it braces to flee causing its innards to constrict. Part of that constriction is all the air exiting the lungs resulting in a 'space' above the lung cavity. I did this to a doe once. Thought it was a perfect pass-through. Never found her. Year or two later I killed a doe in the same area(Mom's back yard). She had major internal scar tissue on both sides of her chest cavity. Just above her lungs. You tell me...

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I believe it, found out the hard way more than once myself.
    That little area you described can make or break, of course there's a million other things that can intercede,and then some that you never would guess could happen.
    It's not done until your dragging them out bitching about how far your back.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I think that is one thing I dislike about muzzleloaders. It can make it hard to spot where the deer was when you shot with adrenaline going and everything else. You get the gun Somme obscuring things for a second or ten depending on conditions, but then you might be findishly dashing to reload. I feel like with a bow that doesn’t happen as much (certibaly no obscuring things) and with a firearm, a lot less so, even if you are chambering another round for a follow up shot. It is easier with those other weapons to try to fix in your mind and with your eyes right where the deer was when you shot it/at it.

I have started to try to fix in my mind where the deer is before I shoot and not just afterward.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Yup! 30 feet up. Climber. I've been going that high for a good many years now, especially when bow hunting. When you use a climber, that usually means you are in a tall, straight trunked tree with little to no branches to hide you. Ladder stands are different, as well as hang-ons(which I don't like) in that, you don't need a bare trunk to hang them on. You can hang or lean them amidst the tree branches to help hide your 'blob' in the tree.

Took this guy at 19yds after calling him in from 60yds. with a can bleat. One roll was all it took. He came stomping in on a rope. A little background to this deer. I passed on him earlier this week(my vacation ended today), but I thought to myself, if he shows up at the end of the week and I haven't shot anything yet(buckwise), I would have a go at him. That never works out that way, until today. I am very grateful to have him. I will split him with the farmer who lets me hunt his land(18 years now). Lots of yummy burger and backstraps.
    :thumbsup:nice!

Shot this young 8pt last Wednesday evening. First bow kill. Just got into bow hunting so I am happy with this one.
    nice! Congrats! he looks like a big body. He should be good eating if the rut hasnt started there yet.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I think that is one thing I dislike about muzzleloaders. It can make it hard to spot where the deer was when you shot with adrenaline going and everything else. You get the gun Somme obscuring things for a second or ten depending on conditions, but then you might be findishly dashing to reload. I feel like with a bow that doesn’t happen as much (certibaly no obscuring things) and with a firearm, a lot less so, even if you are chambering another round for a follow up shot. It is easier with those other weapons to try to fix in your mind and with your eyes right where the deer was when you shot it/at it.

I have started to try to fix in my mind where the deer is before I shoot and not just afterward.

Watch your bullet strike the target and call it.
    Make note and then prepare for follow up if necessary.
    You can sometimes see a little black dot if your follow up is good, and light/ distance will permit.

Something else that I feel that is worth mentioning is that with BP, blood trails are not as prevelant than a high velocity sectional density hit. You want the ball to transmit all its energy to the game to anchor them and not pass through.
    So good follow through is an important step in recovery if they don't fall right out. It's your first clue when you have to do some tracking.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Took all week off to hunt the rut. I'm on Day 3 of staying indoors with my two kids who are sick. Hoping to get out there tomorrow as the one's fever had broken and the other's is pretty low grade.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Took all week off to hunt the rut. I'm on Day 3 of staying indoors with my two kids who are sick. Hoping to get out there tomorrow as the one's fever had broken and the other's is pretty low grade.
    Thats a tough break. Hopefully youll find success thursday and friday

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Thats a tough break. Hopefully youll find success thursday and friday

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Seems like the weather is going to be nice and cold, which should have them moving. Hoping there is going to be a nice buck in my future and not this guy lol.
    fa5836851a77bc3ca44b36f4c18aee0f.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Seems like the weather is going to be nice and cold, which should have them moving. Hoping there is going to be a nice buck in my future and not this guy lol.
    fa5836851a77bc3ca44b36f4c18aee0f.jpg

Me too brother. Best of luck!

Going by Mom's tonight hoping for my second do.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Getting my does has been harder than I expected. Managed to get one last night, but that took 4 trips to the stand, and it's rare that I don't have a shot opportunity at a doe at this location. Oh well...at least I don't have any shooter bucks on camera.

Saying that out loud, I'm not sure why that's a good thing :wtf:

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Getting my does has been harder than I expected. Managed to get one last night, but that took 4 trips to the stand, and it's rare that I don't have a shot opportunity at a doe at this location. Oh well...at least I don't have any shooter bucks on camera.

Saying that out loud, I'm not sure why that's a good thing :wtf:

Hey... at least you're out in the woods.

A day in the woods..... well you get it.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Was out all morning and only thing I saw was a red tailed hawk looking to make a meal out of some squirrels. Gonna eat then hit it again in a little bit. Looking at my camera from the past week, they seem to be coming in later in the day and no shooter bucks. They must be locked on to some does elsewhere.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Was out all morning and only thing I saw was a red tailed hawk looking to make a meal out of some squirrels. Gonna eat then hit it again in a little bit. Looking at my camera from the past week, they seem to be coming in later in the day and no shooter bucks. They must be locked on to some does elsewhere.

I'm wondering what everyone else saw last Saturday. Going from what I witnessed, you could be right about lockdown. Not having many does where I was, I only saw a bunch of bucks running their fool heads off. Another place with plenty of does could mean lockdown. Either way, I'll be back at it this Saturday.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Spent all day in the stand. Saw 3 fawns but their mama wasn't in sight. Wonder if a buck was tending to her. Other than that I saw a gray fox run west and 30 min later a red fox run east.

556ready

Mar 5, 2012
    AAco
    Grunted this dude in Wednesday evening.

Attachments

• F953E7DF-049E-4AD3-AB93-EDB95BA01BBF.jpg
      F953E7DF-049E-4AD3-AB93-EDB95BA01BBF.jpg
      159 KB · Views: 171

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members