Need help identifying some older rifles...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County

Fat Scotty’s prices are ridiculous. If he can get that much for that one more power to him though.

The one I got out of Lou’s collection is 10 times nicer than that one. It doesn’t have the welded muzzle extension like the one linked either.

Like Ken said, it’s unfortunately one of the rifles Interarms scrubbed and remarked G33/50. Kinda kills most of the collectible value but it’s probably a very nice shooter.

ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    New PA Resident...
    It looks like a much nicer collection than what you usually see when a non gun person has questions about guns that they inherited. It just seems so strange to me that someone's father would have a nice collection of rifles and yet they know nothing about them.

Ha, I agree! I thought the same thing, but I was asked to help so I'm doing my best to do so... I honestly expected to see run of the mill hunting rifles when I was told "old rifles". Nothing like this. That said, it's been fun trying to figure out what some of these are just based on the pictures provided. I've learned alot myself.

I'm not sure of the relationship and honestly get the feeling that they are going to want to sell them. :sad20:

I have the rest of the pictures. I should have them all up by tomorrow morning.

Appreciate everyone's input and help. Some more interesting ones to come...

ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    New PA Resident...
    Fourth Rifle

Pretty sure that this is a sporterized Arisaka of some kind. I think that there are different models, though, so any further information (and value estimation) would be greatly appreciated.

Again, really sucks that this and the 1903 were modified...

owCgav5.jpg

p3ijlIU.jpg

bK6Jnn0.jpg

3e6ty8F.jpg

ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    New PA Resident...
    Fifth Rifle

This one a bit more obvious but thought I'd show it anyway since my research shows that it's not super common. H&R "Shikari" 45-70.

From what I read, these aren't particularly desirable. Seems like most people ended up with them just because they found them in a pawn shop for under $200. :lol2:

I think this gun is pretty darn beautiful myself - if he ends up selling I may make an offer.

OHFh8XO.jpg

T4OnTN4.jpg

8nRLum5.jpg

ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    New PA Resident...
    Sixth Rifle

Assuming this is a VZ24 based on the receiver markings... :D

Stock and receiver serial match (except stock has a "C" in front of it). Other than that, I know pretty little about these. They appear to be in the $400-600 range at the online auction sites.

As always, any additional information (or corrections) worth noting would be appreciated.

XsQYLfn.jpg

QWQD4vL.jpg

qrNZxVv.jpg

rHrtGF3.jpg

ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    New PA Resident...
    Seventh Rifle

It took some google-fu, but I think that this one is an Alex Hoyer custom rifle in 7mm mag. From what I can find, Mr. Hoyer was a very well respected smith/long range shooter in the 60s/70s out of PA.

Provided the above is even accurate, I dont know much more about it. Does anyone know what the action type is and how old it may be? Even though it has wear and tear, the wood on the stock is straight up gorgeous in my opinion.

Scope also seems like it has collectors value - Zeiss Zielvier. I dont know a lot about old scopes but this one has an earlier serial number and is in better shape than ones I see listed for ~$400 on ebay.

No idea what to even swag on value for this. Seems Hoyer's work is respected, but not particularly sought after. Google shows people picking up his rifles in the $500 range not even knowing what they are.

Any thoughts on value as a package would be appreciated!

zemcMAJ.jpg

7HJErrd.jpg

uhJyFgS.jpg

QEK734q.jpg

pXqyflh.jpg

Jul 1, 2012
    As you surmised, the 4th rifle is a sporterized Arisaka Type 99. Can't tell from pics what's been monkeyed with beyond the stock.
    If you look on the left side of receiver, the markings tell you a lot, e.g. which series, the S/N, and which arsenal made it. Can go from there to figure out what should be on the rifle (A/A sights, etc). If the bolt parts still match it may actually be not tragic.

BTW two thumbs-up on the judicious use of day-glo orange feet :)

Attachments

• 2716-14.jpg
      2716-14.jpg
      47.4 KB · Views: 286

ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    New PA Resident...
    As you surmised, the 4th rifle is a sporterized Arisaka Type 99. Can't tell from pics what's been monkeyed with beyond the stock.
    If you look on the left side of receiver, the markings tell you a lot, e.g. which series, the S/N, and which arsenal made it. Can go from there to figure out what should be on the rifle (A/A sights, etc). If the bolt parts still match it may actually be not tragic.

BTW two thumbs-up on the judicious use of day-glo orange feet :)

Thank you for the additional info! Here is the side of the receiver. Looks like S/N is 217xx. Again, not my rifle so hesitant to post full S/N.

Not sure if this is helpful or not. I dont have any pics of the bolt parts...

ndOEAXX.jpg

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Fat Scotty’s prices are ridiculous. If he can get that much for that one more power to him though.

The one I got out of Lou’s collection is 10 times nicer than that one. It doesn’t have the welded muzzle extension like the one linked either.

Like Ken said, it’s unfortunately one of the rifles Interarms scrubbed and remarked G33/50. Kinda kills most of the collectible value but it’s probably a very nice shooter.

Wow I never knew he existed but looking at that grade C Longbranch Enfield he has and what he wants doubt we will ever do business. Don't mind people making money but that's nuts.

Jul 1, 2012
    There's folks here that know more than me about these but I'm guessing that's a 6th Series Type 99 made at Nagoya Arsenal (Toriimatsu Factory).

Whatever it may be, doing some Photoshop magic, it looks like an original stock that's just been chopped (maybe a "duffle cut" to get it home), with original front and rear sights intact and possibly the original metal finish. In other words, not really "sporterized", just cut.

If I had to take a swag, value is probably $200-300-ish (parts recovery).

Attachments

• ndOEAXX.jpg
      ndOEAXX.jpg
      24.8 KB · Views: 270
    • 3e6ty8F.jpg
      3e6ty8F.jpg
      14.7 KB · Views: 264
    • owCgav5.jpg
      owCgav5.jpg
      21.4 KB · Views: 266

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Second Rifle

I originally thought this was a VZ24 Mauser but I don't know for sure. After doing some digging, maybe its a Serbian Mauser?

7vAaL8Y.jpg

fagaxCl.jpg

rOEl2Cv.jpg

wn6oHNo.jpg

tPSlmiU.jpg

Confirmation/correction appreciated. I know value can vary greatly but any ballpark figures would also be appreciated.

Nice to see another Unconverted model 1924 however, i think the stock is wrong for this rifle. Still even in the wrong stock i would expect to sell that for about 350 if it was mine.

as far as the others go.
    3x, VZ24 Czech Mausers - one with "1924" on receiver and one with "BRNO" on receiver 350-425 for these

Swedish Gevarsfaktori G 33/50 Mauser.. 500 Ish

Sporterized Arisaka 150-250

H&R Shikari Rifle in 45/70, which appears to be in beautiful condition .250ish

Alex Hoyer Custom Rifle in 7mm with Zeiss Zielvier scope 500-650 so long as the scope is clear

Nylon 66 Apache Black Chrome, which appears to be in beautiful condition 400 now a days

JC Higgins Semi Auto .22 - Not sure what model , If you know what it looks like, look up models 29, 30 and 31 and see if it looks like one of those.

ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    New PA Resident...
    Thanks junkie, your info and estimates are very helpful! Your estimates on pricing seems to be pretty in line with what I'm thinking. Difficult to go off of high prices on auction sites when there arent any bids...

I'm going to just go ahead and post the rest of the pics. Could be something I'm missing in my identification...

ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    New PA Resident...
    Eighth Rifle

Pretty sure this one is a Nylon 66 Apache Black Chrome, which I didnt even know existed until this little exercise.

Interesting that values seem to be all over the place on these, from mid-400s to $900 on auction sites. This one looks to be in pretty great condition.

eiPDnoy.jpg

j2fd3ZM.jpg

UJhDA0d.jpg

ZFfQc3L.jpg

eSLVi01.jpg

ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    New PA Resident...
    Ninth Rifle

This is a JC Higgins .22lr semi auto of some kind. Looking online, there are several models that look similar. Can anyone positively ID?

I always thought that JC Higgins were "budget" guns (like well under $100 kind of guns), but maybe not based on the auction prices I'm seeing?

A0myJ3p.jpg

DH4xHSj.jpg

u4JUF55.jpg

3Vvtx9Y.jpg

ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    New PA Resident...
    Tenth and Last One

Last one! Appears to be another VZ24. Cool markings - anything worth noting on this one?

SuNFveF.jpg

WzBqHQ6.jpg

Rf4ZlT6.jpg

U4AbXOt.jpg

LzeowwG.jpg

Again, many thanks to all who have been able to verify/correct my original identification. This has been quite the learning experience!

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    You need to look at the COMPLETED auctions on the auction sites. Asking/starting prices on about 90% of them are too high to even get one bid.

$400 would be the absolute real top end on the Nylon for an example.

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    Tenth and Last One

Last one! Appears to be another VZ24. Cool markings - anything worth noting on this one?

Again, many thanks to all who have been able to verify/correct my original identification. This has been quite the learning experience!

Very nice VZ-24, you don't usually see them with receiver crest. If the bolt and stock match the receiver, that may be worth $400+

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Ninth Rifle

This is a JC Higgins .22lr semi auto of some kind. Looking online, there are several models that look similar. Can anyone positively ID?

I always thought that JC Higgins were "budget" guns (like well under $100 kind of guns), but maybe not based on the auction prices I'm seeing?

A0myJ3p.jpg

DH4xHSj.jpg

u4JUF55.jpg

3Vvtx9Y.jpg

Jc higgins model 28 i believe, worth approx 175.00-225.00, Scope looks to be original JC higgins as well.

epoxy45

May 3, 2018
    I sold my sporterized 1903 with a Redfield scope and 900 rounds of ammo for $1500 a few years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom