• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Has anyone done a 1911 from 80%.

Any suggestions on who to buy from?

Any suggestions on little things that helped ?

I do not have a HQL and I want a 1911 and figure besides moving the cheapest option is a 80%

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I've had a steel frame sitting in limbo for a while now.

If it doesn't get going soon, I'll walk away from it and sell you the virgin frame if you're interested.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I don't think you will save any money. I could have bought one for less than I spent on the build. You have to factor in the cost of the jig and bits on top of the parts to build the gun. That being said,it still is a fun project and gives you a lot of satisfaction the first time it goes bang. I didn't use a lot of high end parts either.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I've had a steel frame sitting in limbo for a while now.

If it doesn't get going soon, I'll walk away from it and sell you the virgin frame if you're interested.

Come up any time, Brad. I gotta pay you for the welder.

I have done 1.5. I got a steel frame. I bought it from The Buffalo. The jigs I use are Matrix Precision. It was not difficult, but time consuming to do right. I really enjoyed it.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    jrumann59 said:
    I do not have a HQL and I want a 1911 and figure besides moving the cheapest option is a 80%

Have not done any 80% kits, probably won't, but I saw some 1911 kits at Chantilly Sunday.

Most definitely not your cheapest option to get a reliable 1911.

The lowest one I saw was $165 for an alloy frame, and $650 for the parts kit that included everything else you would need except the jig. Didn't bother asking the price on the jig.

The glock kits were far cheaper, and he said much easier to make. (Poly vs alloy).

You can get a decent, reliable 1911 for quite a bit less than $800 (RIA, among others).

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Definitely not your cheapest option. Sarco sells cheap parts kits. I have about $800 in jigs/stones.

biermkr

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2007
    Almost Heaven
    It is not about cheap for me, I refuse to submit to the infringement of the hql, therefore this thread intriques me. I to want a 1911 and ywant to build it myself.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I would highly recommend an aluminum frame instead of steel. Especially for the first time. If you do steel, buy some extra cutters for the gig.

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    Stealth arms frame Sarco parts kit

Attachments

• 3132.jpg
      3132.jpg
      49.4 KB · Views: 388

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    It is not about cheap for me, I refuse to submit to the infringement of the hql, therefore this thread intriques me. I to want a 1911 and ywant to build it myself.

Thats it for me. And as with most guns you build you have some investment. I think a 1911 in anything other than steel is cheating and some of the videos I have seen with the big looks introducing.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    I would highly recommend an aluminum frame instead of steel. Especially for the first time. If you do steel, buy some extra cutters for the gig.

After doing a few 80% ARs, I'd like to try a 1911. Certainly for the first build, an aluminum frame makes a lot of sense. How's the long-term durability of the aluminum frame?

JoeR

Vetted84

Nov 8, 2016
    Stealth arms frame Sarco parts kit

Ditto. I used the Stealth Arms frame/jig and a Sarco parts kit. Have shot numerous rounds through it without issue. Does have a stiff trigger pull that I want to change when time allows.

Not the cheapest option for a 1911, but if you are like me and refuse to get an HQL, there are not a lot of other options.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

So many C&R 1911s out there. No HQL required for those.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    After doing a few 80% ARs, I'd like to try a 1911. Certainly for the first build, an aluminum frame makes a lot of sense. How's the long-term durability of the aluminum frame?

JoeR

They are not known for large volume shooting. That said, I did read a post of another forum a member who stated he had well over 10,000 rounds on an aluminum frame 1911without issue. They typically crack along the frame rails or the feedramps gets beat all to blazes.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    I’ve got a lot (possible too many, naw, who am I kidding) 1911s. I don’t have an 80%. I’d like one (several). True you can buy them cheaper but having one or more the gov doesn’t know about is priceless.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I’ve got a lot (possible too many, naw, who am I kidding) 1911s. I don’t have an 80%. I’d like one (several). True you can buy them cheaper but having one or more the gov doesn’t know about is priceless.

Yep.

1911’s are much more fun than ARs to build. Lots of filing, small parts fitting/polishing.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    They are not known for large volume shooting. That said, I did read a post of another forum a member who stated he had well over 10,000 rounds on an aluminum frame 1911without issue. They typically crack along the frame rails or the feedramps gets beat all to blazes.

I wonder how much life is lost from the frame being aluminum and expanding during sustained firing and the slide being steel and not expanding as much?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I wonder how much life is lost from the frame being aluminum and expanding during sustained firing and the slide being steel and not expanding as much?

Don't forget about the beating the frame takes. .45 has a stout recoil. That said, Kimber uses aluminum frames in some of their guns and report no appreciable wear at 20,000 rounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom