• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    So I finally got to go shoot my new M&P 9C yesterday. The first five or so shots were dead on, and after that they started hitting way right of my point of aim. The grouping was consistent, but all the shots were landing 6" to the right of center @ 25ft. Turns out the front sight had moved visibly over to the left of the slide. This gun has never been holstered, and I'm positive that I didn't knock it into anything that would mis-align the front site. So I guess it's just a manufacture defect maybe? It was dead on at first, but went way off after only a handful of shots.

Anyone else have this problem? Did you send the gun back to S&W? What did they do and how long did it take to get back?

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    I sent a 1911 back to them twice (before selling it). Both times, turnaround was less than a week.

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    EWWWWW that is a different story then... I only had issues with the rear. That was the locktite and then around round 200-300 the white dot fell outta the front. Fixed it with rubbing alcohol to clean it and some whit model paint till I replaced them with night sights.

I would definitely call Customer Service and get it fixed right....

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    I would just put some purple thread locker in the dovetail and push it back.

Are you sure you didn't hit it? The M&Ps have a rep for dovetails that are the tightest around. I have replaced the sights on three of them before, and I found them tighter than any gun I've owned.

Mikey

May 19, 2009
    Ridge MD
    Same thing happened to my pro model after less than 150rds.

MP004.jpg

Instead of trying to deal with S&W I decided to install a new Dawson front sight. I also had all the APEX stuff installed and did not feel like removing it before I sent it in. I'm sure S&W will take care of you if you decide to send it in, or you can take this as a sign to buy new sights.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I've had my M&P for a while now, sight's haven't moved at all even with an obsessive amount of holster work being practiced.

May have just gotten that odd-ball.

S&W should take care of that pretty quick if you send it in, although there is also aftermarket sights to consider.

J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Same thing happened to my pro model after less than 150rds.

MP004.jpg

Instead of trying to deal with S&W I decided to install a new Dawson front sight. I also had all the APEX stuff installed and did not feel like removing it before I sent it in. I'm sure S&W will take care of you if you decide to send it in, or you can take this as a sign to buy new sights.

That is exactly what happened. Only I didn't even get 150 rounds in. It was only like 10-15, at the most. (Was only loading mags with 5 rounds)

J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    I am 100% sure that I didn't knock it into anything. It was taken out of the case one time for a cleaning and lubing before getting to the range, and at the range, it was either in my hands, or on a padded memory foam mat. (FYI: Those padded memory foam bathroom mats make an awesome place to set your stuff on the range table.)

I'm filling out the online form for a shipping label now.
    Anyone know if there's any issues with shipping my gun to S&W and back in MD? Will they just ship it back to my house? Or does it have to go to an FFL from S&W and be picked up there? Since I already own it and everthing, I would imagine that they could just ship it back to me, but this is MD, so I'm sure there's some silly law or something about it that I can't find.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Can't help there, I've never shipped an entire firearm for service - I've shipped a complete AR upper, but that's about it.

Someone should be able to answer that for you, just keep checking back on this thread.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    I am 100% sure that I didn't knock it into anything. It was taken out of the case one time for a cleaning and lubing before getting to the range, and at the range, it was either in my hands, or on a padded memory foam mat. (FYI: Those padded memory foam bathroom mats make an awesome place to set your stuff on the range table.)

I'm filling out the online form for a shipping label now.
    Anyone know if there's any issues with shipping my gun to S&W and back in MD? Will they just ship it back to my house? Or does it have to go to an FFL from S&W and be picked up there? Since I already own it and everthing, I would imagine that they could just ship it back to me, but this is MD, so I'm sure there's some silly law or something about it that I can't find.

Since you are not selling and it is still in your possession but going for repair it does not need to go back to an ffl. FFL only needs to be involved if maybe they are replacing your firearm with a new one since it will have a new serial number.

J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Since you are not selling and it is still in your possession but going for repair it does not need to go back to an ffl. FFL only needs to be involved if maybe they are replacing your firearm with a new one since it will have a new serial number.

Awesome!
    Thanks for the info! :)

Mikey

May 19, 2009
    Ridge MD
    I believe since it is a pistol (I assume you do not have an FFL) you must ship it overnight (UPS or FEDEX), IF you ship the entire firearm. Call S&W first, but you should only have to ship the slide & maybe barrel, which is not a firearm, and can be placed in the small USPS flat rate priority box.

J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    I believe since it is a pistol and I assume you do not have an FFL you must ship it overnight (UPS or FEDEX) IF you ship the entire firearm. Call S&W first, but you should only have to ship the slide & maybe barrel, which is not a firearm, an can be placed in the small USPS flat rate priority box.

Good call. I don't have an FFL.
    Thanks, I'll call S&W before I do anything.

J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Welp, little update for anyone that might be interested.
    I shipped the gun out on April 19th, it was delivered and signed for on the 23rd. Not too surprising since it was over a weekend.

Then two weeks go by and I've heard nothing back.

So I decided to email them today to find out what's up.

I emailed Paul, since that's who sent me the packing slip when I originally inquired about shipping.

Hello Paul,

I was curious as to if I could get a status update on my firearm. It's an S&W M&P9C, Serial #*******. I sent it in about two weeks ago because the front sight post was misaligned. I know you're all probably very busy, but if you could let me know when I might expect my firearm to be returned, I would be very grateful.

Thanks,

His reply:

Your gun was logged in on April 27th.
    Normal turn around on M&P repairs is generally 10 to 14 working days.
    It may be slightly longer as we just completed our fiscal year and we will be doing inventory this weekend.

Paul

Wait... what? They let it sit for a week before even checking it in? I've already been without it for 2 weeks and now they are telling me it's going to be at least another 2 to three weeks more?

So I reply:

Paul,

Thank you for your fast response. My firearm was shipped via FedEx (Tracking #*******) on Thursday April 19th, 2012, and was reported delievered on Monday April 23rd (Signed for by *******). Is there a reason that it wasn't logged untill Friday the 27th?

I hope you can understand my concern as I have been without my firearm for two weeks already.

Thanks for your attention.

His reply:

Simply put, backlog.

That's it. Not even a "Sorry for your inconvenience", or "Let me see what I can do" just a three word message that basically says, "We're busy, wait longer".

So far, I'm not terribly impressed and will have to reschedule some training classes that I had signed up for.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I would respond back with SW and let them know you've had to cancel classes and such due to this.

I'm guessing they'll try to make it right with some freebies tossed in.

This is also why it's a good idea to have two of each caliber...but I understand that's not do-able all the time and takes time to build up inventory.

Good luck....keep us posted.

J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    I would respond back with SW and let them know you've had to cancel classes and such due to this.

I'm guessing they'll try to make it right with some freebies tossed in.

This is also why it's a good idea to have two of each caliber...but I understand that's not do-able all the time and takes time to build up inventory.

Good luck....keep us posted.

This is actually the second of 2 9mm's that we have. The other one is my wifes Sig P2022. But we are both taking the classes at the same time.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    I have seen this same problem happen to others at least twice on other gun websites. The biggest problem with the M&P's are with the white dot flying out of the sight entirely. For the life of me, I can't figure out why they don't just fix that issue on future guns they sell (unless they just made a huge batch of them and won't bother).

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    The front sight on my M&P9 was slightly off from the factory; over all I have not been that impressed with the gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom