• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shershot99

Mar 22, 2010
    Carroll County
    Ok guys. I am about to pull the trigger and get my first Enfield. I am looking at either a Savage or a Long branch vs. a "standard" English made one. The "standard" one is 499 while the others are 549 each. LOADED question but is one better than the other? I am looking for a good quality shooter and not a wall hanger. I will take any advice or thoughts.

Thanks to ALL!

Furious George

May 10, 2010
    For a shooter I'd go with I'd go for the Savage or the Long Branch.

During WWII the UK manufacturers loosened the bore measurement standards and they can be quite loose. The Savage made ones kept to the original tighter bore measurements and will probably shoot better. I think this is true of the Long Branch (Canada) rifles too.

Also, if you reload, the UK rifles tend to have chambers that are radially very large, requiring neck sizing to avoid VERY short case life.

shershot99

Mar 22, 2010
    Carroll County
    For a shooter I'd go with I'd go for the Savage or the Long Branch.

During WWII the UK manufacturers loosened the bore measurement standards and they can be quite loose. The Savage made ones kept to the original tighter bore measurements and will probably shoot better. I think this is true of the Long Branch (Canada) rifles too.

Also, if you reload, the UK rifles tend to have chambers that are radially very large, requiring neck sizing to avoid VERY short case life.

This is great information, thank you! I was def. leaning towards either the savage or long branch. Just not sure which one. They are supposed to be sending me pictures of both today but I haven't received them yet.

thanks

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    I have a 1943 Long Branch with matching serial numbers including the mag.
    Very accurate at 100 yard on steel. Moderate recoil.

Attachments

• 3031.jpg
      3031.jpg
      69.7 KB · Views: 408

shershot99

Mar 22, 2010
    Carroll County
    I have a 1943 Long Branch with matching serial numbers including the mag.
    Very accurate at 100 yard on steel. Moderate recoil.

That's a beautiful piece. If I do that one I am looking at 600 before shipping. I am leaning that way and just waiting for the pictures to make my final call. Did you do any stock work to this one?

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    I would select based on condition, matching numbers and all original parts. All the Savage parts should have a "S" on them somewhere and the Long Branch should have a "LB" somewhere. Also keep in mind that the Savage was mostly Mark I* and had a cut out on the action rail for bolt removal and these can get worn and cause problems. As I don't have any LB rifles I don't know if they were Mark I* as well but I think I recall they were made this way as well. Again condition and matching #s are a big plus. If this is your first, do all the homework you can stand.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I thought all the North American ones were Mk 1*.
    Savage should be marked US PROPERTY. Mine has a two groove bore.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    Wait till the beer virus is over. Go to a show an pick the one that talks to you. You can still find Enfields $200-300, as they walk in the door at shows.

Start reading one of the Enfield Bibles now, before you buy!

Good luck!

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Either will serve you well. I have one of each and the Longbranch is marginally better in fit and finish. Though the Savage is Lend Lease marked which is awesome history.

You know the correct answer is both.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Not the early ones, both LB an Savage made No 4 MkI.

I knew the early Savages were Mark I, but those are relatively rare, since I never had a LB I couldn't remember they went to Mark I* or not.

Jimbob 2.0 is correct both will certainly do very well.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Any type of No4 that you buy..... if you have the opportunity to be able to inspect it in person; pull the bolt out and look into the body right in front of the sear bent milling. Right where the milled area goes through to the body internals. This is where you need a good pocket flash light- maybe an assistant to hold the rifle if you don't have a place to set it down for inspection.

If you look in there and you see where its been punched with a forked shape tool on that little ledge, make sure that when the bolt is being run, the cocking piece bent doesn't collide with the sear as the bolt is being run.
    Sometimes this was done to extract a little more life out of a rifle before it was ZF'd or Dq'd or whatever for serviceability.
    At least the action body before being condemned for wear. This was done to make sure enough metal was raised to keep the sear bent from raising up and being stopped by the cocking piece as the bolt is being run forward.
    If you happen have a rifle like that, no big deal as long as long as it does as it should it;s just getting tired.

Anything else you can easily patch, screw-re glue -refit as necessary in the home or modest workshop with a few basic hand tools and an armorers manual.

shershot99

Mar 22, 2010
    Carroll County
    Thanks guys. A ton of information to process. I am also going to look into the trade in the classified section. I have seen several at gun shows but nothing in the 200-300 range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    It that deal doesn't pan out and you're not wedded to a wartime No4 consider a post war No4 MK1/3. These were arsenal rebuild North American Savages & LBs that also got the receiver mounted trigger of the No4 MkII. Peter Laider wrote an excellent article that can be found on All About Enfields. It lays out in detail the process of what went into the 1/3 conversion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom