• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Does Colt make their frames/slides in the US?

I wonder if anyone would use the SA/Brazil connection to try to get SA disqualified?? Of course, someone might approve of the SA gun if the US government wants something from Brazil or to smooth any rough edges over with Brazil.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    Colt makes all their slides, frames, and small parts in the U.S. at their Hartford Connecticut plant.

I will wager that the Colt Series 80 firing pin system went bye bye with the guns they submitted to the government for testing.

As long as they ditch the shitty breakage prone Colt ambi safety, and replace with an EGW strong side safety, Colt will have a hell of a nice gun.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    They would be stupid to go back to them. Too many "modern" guns out there with higher capacity, better reliability and easier takedown/cleaning. Don't get me wrong, I have several 1911s and even carry one when possible, but a quality 1911 would be too expensive compared to other options.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Colt makes all their slides, frames, and small parts in the U.S. at their Hartford Connecticut plant.

I will wager that the Colt Series 80 firing pin system went bye bye with the guns they submitted to the government for testing.

As long as they ditch the shitty breakage prone Colt ambi safety, and replace with an EGW strong side safety, Colt will have a hell of a nice gun.

I haven't used a Colt ambi safety, didn't know they had issues. If Colt was smart they would buy their entire fire control group and safeties from EGW or Wilson. (Bulletproof line only)

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    They would be stupid to go back to them. Too many "modern" guns out there with higher capacity, better reliability and easier takedown/cleaning. Don't get me wrong, I have several 1911s and even carry one when possible, but a quality 1911 would be too expensive compared to other options.

Better reliability according to whom?

Higher capacity? Can you hit what you shoot at or not? The 1911 has the best trigger of any semi auto handgun ever invented and enables the shooter to hit what he is shooting at better than any other autoloader which is why it is top dog.

As far as easier takedown and cleaning goes, if you have trouble disassembling or cleaning a 1911, you don't belong anywhere near a handgun, period.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    I haven't used a Colt ambi safety, didn't know they had issues. If Colt was smart they would buy their entire fire control group and safeties from EGW or Wilson. (Bulletproof line only)

Yeah, the Colt ambis are weak, but they aren't any worse than most of the off the shelf guns. My wife's cousin broke a factory Colt safety on my gun. Then again he has a black cloud hanging over his head and could break an anvil with a rubber mallet. The safety snapped right at the shaft.

If you look at the EGW safety it is bomb proof. It isn't an ambi, but if you want the best strong side safety it is a solid bar stock part that has more thickness than the factory Colt part. When I insisted on an EGW safety, Chad fit mine up and commented that the frame would probably break before that safety would. :)

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    That is a bad, bad idea. The 1911 is many things, but it is not the best combat handgun in the world, which is what our men should have.

Nothing against the 1911 -- in fact I own a couple of them -- but it falls short of more modern guns in reliability, ease of use, ease of cleaning, ease of maintaining, firepower and durability. Yes, some 1911's have great triggers, but you can put a great trigger on anything.

To be clear, I am not saying that the M9 is the best, only that the 1911 most certainly is not.

[HT4 dons his flamesuit]

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House

Higher capacity? Can you hit what you shoot at or not? The 1911 has the best trigger of any semi auto handgun ever invented and enables the shooter to hit what he is shooting at better than any other autoloader which is why it is top dog.

As far as easier takedown and cleaning goes, if you have trouble disassembling or cleaning a 1911, you don't belong anywhere near a handgun, period.

If this logic was valid we'd still be using 5 round bolt actions. The 1911 is a single action dinosaur as outdated as matchlocks. It might make a nice range gun but it has no place in modern combat. It had its day but that day loooong past. If we absolutely MUST have a .45, we need to give HK a call.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co

Take a look at the M&P 45s. Take down is way easier and capacity is 10 rounds instead of 7-8, if 45cal is what they are stuck with. 10 rounds are always better than 8, no matter how good a shot you are. Oh, M&Ps are much cheaper too and the trigger can be upgraded.

I love 1911s, but there is no rational person who can say the better choice is the 1911.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    If the 1911 is outdated why has the USMC been rebuilding old 1911s for the MEU? Those guns fit the mission requirements.

No one is saying that every grunt will get a 1911, only those in certain units. 4,000 or so guns.

goneshootin88

Sep 22, 2009
    MOCO
    I have to agree - Why? Don't get me wrong, I have a colt 1911 and it's very nice, but it's a 100 year old design. Having the nicest trigger in the world isn't really important in combat situations. If they are going back to 45 then they would be stupid not to go with guns like the HK45 or FNP 45 tac. These guns are lighter weight, super reliable, and have basically double the capacity.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    Holy crap. The M&P offers a whopping 2 extra rounds in a secondary sidearm that if you actually have to use it, means your M4 carbine with 30 rounds in it went toes up or ran out of ammo.

If we aren't talking about a military application of the 1911, CMC makes some mighty fine 10 round mags for the 1911 for the folks that plan on missing their target a lot if mag capacity is your thing.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    I have to agree - Why? Don't get me wrong, I have a colt 1911 and it's very nice, but it's a 100 year old design. Having the nicest trigger in the world isn't really important in combat situations. If they are going back to 45 then they would be stupid not to go with guns like the HK45 or FNP 45 tac. These guns are lighter weight, super reliable, and have basically double the capacity.

Having a nice trigger isn't important to hitting what you shoot at, especially in a stressful situation?

What makes the guns you mentioned "super reliable?"

Double the capacity? You either hit what you shoot at or you don't.

nomo613

Nov 24, 2010
    pikesville
    1911s are great guns. for those that have not shot them, they dont hold 7 rounds, they hold 9; thats one less then the previously mentioned m&p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom