• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gummy

May 16, 2009
    Eden
    Hello Western Marylanders. I am a fellow Marylander but from the flatlands of the Eastern Shore and I need some info. My wife wants to go to the Deep Creek Lake area on vacation around the middle of April and we have some questions. What's the weather like that time of year normally? Good places to eat? Gun shops in the area? Thanksfor any info.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Hello Western Marylanders. I am a fellow Marylander but from the flatlands of the Eastern Shore and I need some info. My wife wants to go to the Deep Creek Lake area on vacation around the middle of April and we have some questions. What's the weather like that time of year normally? Good places to eat? Gun shops in the area? Thanksfor any info.

It's a long drive from the Eastern shore to Garrett County and the Deep Creek (McHenry) area. But it's an easy drive most of the year and a great place to visit.

If you're unfamiliar with the area, here's a good website to browse: http://www.deepcreektimes.com/

Weather in April can still be chilly at night. Depending on the weather patterns, snow in late April or early May isn't uncommon. But by then, winter activities are winding down and summer things are getting ready to happen.

Depending on your tastes in food and desire for vacation atmosphere, there are several places:
    • Uno is good for a steak: http://www.deepcreekuno.com/
    • Dining at the Wisp is a nice experience (Mrs. j8064 works in the hotel administration there): http://www.wispresort.com/
    • For BBQ, Archie's (on 219) is a simple but nice place to eat.
    • Perkin's and Lidos in McHenry will serve you reasonably priced and good meal.
    • And there are many other local places where a good B,L or D can be had.

Don't count on visiting any local gun shops while you're there. Surprisingly, Wally-World in Oakland, MD is about it unless you want to take a side trip down to Keyser, WV or back toward Cumberland, MD. Other locals---please correct me if I'm missing something here!

MD DNR maintains a nice 100 yd range in the Savage River Forest area not far from Deep Creek. $5 per day to shoot (please do pay it in the drop box - they do need the funds): http://www.dnr.state.md.us/forests/savageguide.asp

We've owned a home in McHenry for 12 years and are in the process of relocating there full time - one step at a time.

Deep Creek is a terrific place to see and visit - and it's a wonderful (but different) place to live. If I can help you with additional info, feel free to PM me.

hard_core_emt

Mar 21, 2010
    Oakland, MD
    Heres your choice of sports shops....

Backbone Mountian sport shop located along rt.50 near table rock has about the best selection , Firearms, archery, gear and an indoor techno archery range

D&B sport shop located on rt 135 in Deer park has a decent selection of rifles.

Oh and always our walmart always has the mother load .

If ya'll wanna do some sight seeing, head down 219 south to Canaan Valley and Black Water Falls. about a 25 min drive from oakland. Veiws from the overlook platform are priceless. also canaan valley resort is a wildlife sanctuary. deer will walk right up to the car. makes for some awesome pics.

As for the weather, the days will be getting warmer but the nights will still be a lil chilly

Archies BBQ is awesome , BBq pulled pork, Baby back ribs and other greasy messy BBQ
    Pine Lodge steak house is a nice casual dining place with good food.

If you wanna have some drinks, Black Bear is fancy but drinks are way over priced. JGs pub and the Longbranch Saloon have a nice place with decent priced drinks

Hope you enjoy your stay up here !

Gummy

May 16, 2009
    Eden
    What about places to stay? We're not the most social people so we're not into the resort or B&B scenes.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    What about places to stay? We're not the most social people so we're not into the resort or B&B scenes.

There's the Wisp. In April (as I said) ski season stuff will be winding down. It's not a 5 star hotel, but (I think) the the largest capacity property in the Deep Creek area.

There's a Comfort Inn on 219 in McHenry. Probably not too pricey in your time frame, but don't expect major amenities.

Check the "Will O' the Wisp" : http://www.willothewisp.com/ It (again) is not 5-star,

Keep in mind the Deep Creek area is more rural that other places. (That's one reason I love it).

There are many "for rent" privately owned properties in the area. High end places are pricey and other lower cost privately owned rentals can be found. Do some Googling.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    If you have a bit of money to spend look into renting a house. You can go crazy and get a house on the water or get one closer to Wisp in the hills for a bit less. We have family who owns a cabin near Wisp so we get a reasonable rate.

Annies in Accident is a good place for breakfast. I like Brenda's for pizza and Black Bear for dinner.

There are a lot of other places...cant really go wrong up there.

We love it there and make it up there about 5 times a year thoughout the year.

Gummy

May 16, 2009
    Eden
    Hoping to make it a yearly trip if everything goes smooth this first time. Thanks for all the info. We probably will rent a house unless we go the semi-roughing it way and rent a camper cabin at one of the parks.

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    Hoping to make it a yearly trip if everything goes smooth this first time. Thanks for all the info. We probably will rent a house unless we go the semi-roughing it way and rent a camper cabin at one of the parks.

Contact Railey Realty for vacation rental info. Condo's, houses on/off lake as well as reccomendations for food etc. See some good listings above but there are alot of other places to check out as well. See the PM I sent you.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    The folks at Railey's are great to work with. We use them for our Deep Creek Dunk rentals every year and have never been disappointed.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    I live in the Deep Creek area - April can be really nice or really cold! We still can get some snow - but it usally dosnt hang around long.Pack warm clothes to be on the safe side. April is a great time to fish the lake - the boat traffic is fairly light then - and the fishing is good then for about anything!

Our gun shops up here arent anything big in terms of size. The pickings are slim. Backbone Mtn is not too bad - it depends on what you are looking for. If you are a shooter - bring your firearms, and shoot at the Savage River State forest Rifle range. Nice place with covered shooting areas. It is unmanned (no range official) and you pay at the range. The Permits for the range use is against the wall in the firing line in a box. They charge 5.00 per person - bring your own targets - but target holders/ backing are there for to you to use. You can shoot up too 100 yards there. Be sure to pay - the park ranger does poke in time to time to make sure, you have a permit for the range use.

Places to eat ... Pinelodge Steakhouse it pretty good, and Santa Fe Grill is worth visiting too. Sanata Fe Grill is Tex Mex food!

Last edited:

Gummy

May 16, 2009
    Eden
    Thanks for all the good info. We're heading out there this Sunday. One more question. Do most gas stations out that way sell diesel? Alot of stations over here don't.
    Hey Deep Creek Rock is fishing from bank of the lake any good this time of year?

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    Some of them do. The BP and the Exxon near Wisp. There are a few in Oakland that do as well. If you need it there is plenty of stations that do in Cumberland and LaPlata as well.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Gummy, you'll be right in between "tourista" seasons next week. Skiing's over at the Wisp and most docks aren't yet in the water. It's supposed to be in the 50's or (maybe) low 60's during the day and chilly at night. But bring warm clothes: 55 degrees in Deep Creek isn't the same as 55 degrees on the Eastern Shore in early April.

As has been said, diesel is available. Plan on ~ $4/gallon out there.

I'm nosy so I have to ask: where will you be staying and how long will you be there? I'd offer to hook up with you at the Savage River range for a while, but unfortunately I'll be traveling on biz most of the week.

You and the Mrs. will have a fun time.

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    There's the Wisp. In April (as I said) ski season stuff will be winding down. It's not a 5 star hotel, but (I think) the the largest capacity property in the Deep Creek area.

There's a Comfort Inn on 219 in McHenry. Probably not too pricey in your time frame, but don't expect major amenities.

Check the "Will O' the Wisp" : http://www.willothewisp.com/ It (again) is not 5-star,

Keep in mind the Deep Creek area is more rural that other places. (That's one reason I love it).

There are many "for rent" privately owned properties in the area. High end places are pricey and other lower cost privately owned rentals can be found. Do some Googling.

Lots of people advertise their vacation homes on craigslist and rentals.deepcreek.com has some nice places.

Convenient to Wisp, Swallow Falls, Herrington Manor, and Deep Creek Lake state park.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Fishing from the bank at Deep Creek can be kinda tough... most of the lake is lined wth private homes. I Ice Fish the lake all winter long- and lake acsess is always an issue. However - you can bank fish the State Park. Head towards the rock lined shore just a short walk from the boat launch ramp. That area is good for Trout this time of year-the trout seem to lay near those rocks at this time of year, until the water starts to warm up. Use flashy baits like an inline spinners, small jigs or even small Rapalas. People up here really dont use the power baits, and cheese like other parts of Maryland. The Trout can run big - Ive caught a nice 5 lb Brown a few years ago - but I was off a boat. Ive had field days in April on Deep Creek with Trout. We spent an entire day in one cove - and caught trout all day - I dont even know how many we caught and released. We went back the next day - same deal! Its not always like that - but when you find them, it can be. Fishing in Deep Creek can be tough - the lake is nickname the Reluctant Dragon - for its ability to not give up its fish, and for the shape of the lake (which some say resembles a dragon) But once you learn to pattern the lake - the fishing is superb!

The Panfish in the lake also run big! Yellow Perch in Deep Creek are probably the biggest you'll see in the state of Maryland! Ive caught some big crappies, and the bluegills are big as well. The lake also has a healthy population of Walleyes - so if you are from the Eastern Shore - you probably never caught one in that area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom