• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How Long Did It Take TO Get Your HQL Approval?

• < 1 Day

Votes: 70 7.3%
    • 2 Days

Votes: 60 6.3%
    • 3 Days

Votes: 44 4.6%
    • 4 Days

Votes: 22 2.3%
    • 5 Days

Votes: 31 3.2%
    • 6 Days

Votes: 18 1.9%
    • 7 Days

Votes: 47 4.9%
    • 8 Days

Votes: 21 2.2%
    • 9 Days

Votes: 30 3.1%
    • 10+ Days

Votes: 611 63.8%
    • Denied HQL

Votes: 8 0.8%

• Total voters

p3rry

Jul 5, 2018
    Owings Mills, MD
    Hey guys, first post here on the mdshooters forum! Just wanted to share my timeline so far for my HQL application.

Submitted application: 6/28/18
    Application went active: 7/3/18
    Currently awaiting the arrival of the card.

Jul 9, 2018
    by more info needed do you mean said incomplete? mine says that on nics n the criminal check and second look threw part but not sure why they would need more info. and you said it just went away after a few days ?

My HQL took 8 days earlier this year. As I remember most checks were complete on day 3 but the additional information needed message was displayed. That message went away on day 5 or 6 and then it took another couple of days for secondary review and issue to show completed. The approval letter with the card was dated the next day but the postmark wasn't until Friday of that week which was 2 days after the letter date. I do not know if they mail them in batches.

Carn_dogg

Jul 12, 2018
    Hello all
    Recent active account 0135xx

Just to add to the info:
    Applied 07/07
    All complete except for NICS and METERS on 07/10.
    Got an email from MSP asking for clarification on medical marijuana question (didn’t see it on the application) and letting me know that the place hat gave my training didn’t provide the proper prerequisite information and asked me to email in a copy of my class certification. This was on 07/10.
    07/11- morning, medical marijuana completed
    07/12- 9am, sam status, needing NICS & METERS
    07/12- 11am,ACTIVE no more checklist.
    07/12- 11:01am, placed gun on hold until license comes in mail
    07/18- received license in mail

4 working days from application to approved
    5 days total from application to approved
    8 working days from application to license in hand
    11 days total from application to license in hand

Last edited:

PJS

Heavy
    Feb 4, 2014
    Baltimore
    Did it along with my CCW application (might as well, I'm going to need a new carry handgun when I get my carry permit). Applied on Aug 3, received HQL in the mail on Aug 14. The approval letter is dated the 8th.

imaoldcowhand

Aug 3, 2018
    I submitted application on 8/28, I will edit this post when I receive “Active” notification.

Note: According to the MSP website, their system was down for 24 hours in 8/29 for maintenance. So no applications were worked on during that time frame.

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    Got an HQL question. I was fingerprinted for my new job last month and underwent a full in-detail background check. Could I use that to bypass the fingerprinting requirement? I have a pre-2013 purchase to bypass the training requirement and feel it's past time to buy my rights back.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Got an HQL question. I was fingerprinted for my new job last month and underwent a full in-detail background check. Could I use that to bypass the fingerprinting requirement? I have a pre-2013 purchase to bypass the training requirement and feel it's past time to buy my rights back.

You can always call and ask but I highly doubt it. IIIRC the fingerprints have to be submitted within a certain time frame. Days, I think. If you were fingerprinted a month ago I dont think that MSP will accept them. There is also a number you need to enter in HQL app. If you got fingerprinted for employment, I doubt you saw the paperwork. But, you can always ask. Maybe go back to the same place and ask for a bulk discount.

imaoldcowhand

Aug 3, 2018

From the MSP licensing division:

Important note for electronic fingerprint participants: after having your fingerprints submitted electronically you must forward the electronic fingerprint processing center receipt and completed application without delay. If you fail to submit the receipt and application in 72 hours, the application may be returned as live electronic fingerprint submission results are not maintained for extended periods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom