• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    The 03A3 is one I put together from a barrelled action I got last month. I bought a model 10 stock on eBay and a stock hardware kit and trigger guard assembly from Sarco. I trigger guard assembly is a new reproduction.

The problem I'm having is, the mag and follower frequently bind up when loading and sometimes when closing the bolt it won't pick up a round. I'm thinking it may be the fact that it's a reproduction trigger guard.

Any suggestions?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Get a factory stamped or milled magazine ,spring and follower.
    That magazine / bottom metal should have a very slight gap at the rear of the mag well that tapers forward towards the receiver ring.
    Also, That gap should be less than half the width as the follower is thick.
    Sarco supplies mag springs that are sometimes a reverse bend to the leaves of the spring or are to weak.
    Every once in a while you’ll see a m17 follower supplied as a replacement on some rifles.
    The repo stamped magazines usually do not fit up correctly due to the bend at the top of the mag well at the rear, spacing between action screws or height of the mag walls at the sides.
    There should be a smooth transition to the milling at the action rails and the milled area where the bolt stop would go on a 1903 action.
    If you fiddle with it you may be able to straighten it out to improve functionality.

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    Get a factory stamped or milled magazine ,spring and follower.
    That magazine / bottom metal should have a very slight gap at the rear of the mag well that tapers forward towards the receiver ring.
    Also, That gap should be less than half the width as the follower is thick.
    Sarco supplies mag springs that are sometimes a reverse bend to the leaves of the spring or are to weak.
    Every once in a while you’ll see a m17 follower supplied as a replacement on some rifles.
    The repo stamped magazines usually do not fit up correctly due to the bend at the top of the mag well at the rear, spacing between action screws or height of the mag walls at the sides.
    There should be a smooth transition to the milling at the action rails and the milled area where the bolt stop would go on a 1903 action.
    If you fiddle with it you may be able to straighten it out to improve functionality.

Thanks I'll look at that. I believe the mags are stamped for the A3.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Yes...the '03A3 is full of stamped parts where the '03 parts are milled. While not as nice looking the stamped parts are just as reliable in a combat rifle as well as less expensive and time consuming to make with less waste.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    You’ll see what I mean when you check it out.
    By stripping the rifle and fitting the mag box to the receiver alone and then by inserting the screws, you can see where it may be binding at the rear of the receiver with just the metal components.
    When you set the action in the stock and install the screws, any apparent wood to metal problems will be able to be spotted.
    If you have a stamped follower or even a milled one, they can drag on the mag walls internally.
    A little bit will cause rough feeding.
    Usually the tap at the top rear needs fitted to the slot milled into the receiver or the width / angle adjusted.

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    Actually, I think I'm going to post a WTB in our classifieds to see if I can get a USGI mag and follower. I would rather have that than a repro anyway.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Actually, I think I'm going to post a WTB in our classifieds to see if I can get a USGI mag and follower. I would rather have that than a repro anyway.

You’ll be ahead of the game regarding reliability and function.
    You can spot the stamped repo bottom metal By looking at the reinforcements stamped into the side of the box.
    On the repo’s the guides stamped into the mag well do not extend the full length vertically of the sides of the box.
    We already described the tab at the top rear of the box.
    Sometimes the entire rear of the metal at the rear (the seam) appear to be slightly mis-aligned.
    That milled guards are the best and will swap right out and are correct for a 03a3’s and Happen to be games legal.

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    You’ll be ahead of the game regarding reliability and function.
    You can spot the stamped repo bottom metal By looking at the reinforcements stamped into the side of the box.
    On the repo’s the guides stamped into the mag well do not extend the full length vertically of the sides of the box.
    We already described the tab at the top rear of the box.
    Sometimes the entire rear of the metal at the rear (the seam) appear to be slightly mis-aligned.
    That milled guards are the best and will swap right out and are correct for a 03a3’s and Happen to be games legal.

I see some milled guards on Sarco, but they don't say USGI. Are there repro milled guards out there?? I don't want another repro. The one they show is $69 and comes with a base plate, pin, latch spring and latch. https://www.sarcoinc.com/springfield-milled-trigger-guard-assembly/

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Those are repo milled guards from Sarco for sure.
    I would try CMP forums on WTB or John Spangler's web page for a new in the wrap milled guard if you cant find one 125.00 is what he had some for last weekend.
    90-100 bucks for a used one on CMP but it may have the floor plate release and spring or other associated parts you'll also need.
    A quick call to Dupage may also turn one up.
    S&S would more than likely have one too.
    Nothing wrong with a GI stamped guard either for best value.

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    Those are repo milled guards from Sarco for sure.
    I would try CMP forums on WTB or John Spangler's web page for a new in the wrap milled guard if you cant find one 125.00 is what he had some for last weekend.
    90-100 bucks for a used one on CMP but it may have the floor plate release and spring or other associated parts you'll also need.
    A quick call to Dupage may also turn one up.
    S&S would more than likely have one too.
    Nothing wrong with a GI stamped guard either for best value.

Sarco does have a re-parkered stamped one for a decent price. It's USGI. I might just go ahead and get that.

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    I just looked and the one I seen is early small guard style. For what they are asking its a relatively good deal.

Itl come in handy one day when you run across a R marked 03 and you need a small bow guard.;)

New to the 03- 03A3 world, I don't know what a small guard style trigger guard is. Is that the opening for the trigger finger? Will if fit my Remington 03A3?

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The difference is the trigger guard area was enlarged for a gloved hand. They fit the same on the rifle identically...just the trigger guard bow is changed. IMHO...the small style looks better but the larger one is more practical.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    New to the 03- 03A3 world, I don't know what a small guard style trigger guard is. Is that the opening for the trigger finger? Will if fit my Remington 03A3?

Just like OMB described-From the top;

Large & Small-stamped and finally....Milled

IMG_1870.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom