• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Picked up a new 1911, stainless slide and aluminum frame. Do I use grease or oil on the rails?

Attachments

• IMG_20190617_121655352_HDR.jpg
      IMG_20190617_121655352_HDR.jpg
      152.7 KB · Views: 370

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Either will work. I personally prefer grease on anything that slides.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I am fairly dead set on tetra grease for rails stays put, only downside is it gets brown over time and will freak you out thinking its rust when its not.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i had some tetra dry up on me, stopped using it years ago.

iirc from the wilson combat video that came with their 1911, oil on everything, then go to grease if you start seeing wear.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I’ll ask the first pimp i see and get back to you

Only counts if he's from New Orleans.

AeroShell 64.

https://www.skygeek.com/5067068.html

If it's good enough for the Swiss, it's good enough for you.

Where would I even find that locally?

oh, and 5 interwebz demerits for no foot and no cocked and locked! ahahaha

:lol2:. This was taken in the parking lot of Sharpshooters. Too much glass to take my shoe off :D

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Where would I even find that locally?

You probably won't. I'm sure your local airport has lots of it sitting around though!

But you're most likely going to have to order it. It's essentially what the Swiss repackage as Automatenfett and it contains no graphite.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    I've always followed the principle of "Oil if it rotates, grease if it slides".
    On the slides of my semi-autos I use Tetra Grease. On the sliding portion of my AR bolt carrier, I use automotive Hi-Temperature wheel bearing grease.

Some day I'll try the wheel bearing grease on my semi-autos.....should work fine. It's also a lot easier to find than the aviation grease...and cheaper.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I've always followed the principle of "Oil if it rotates, grease if it slides".
    On the slides of my semi-autos I use Tetra Grease. On the sliding portion of my AR bolt carrier, I use automotive Hi-Temperature wheel bearing grease.

Some day I'll try the wheel bearing grease on my semi-autos.....should work fine. It's also a lot easier to find than the aviation grease...and cheaper.

I use Super Tech grease, commonly found at Walfart. :thumbsup:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-Multi-Duty-Complex-Hi-Temp-Grease-14-oz-Tub/16795246

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The place you REALLY want grease is stainless to stainless.

I tend to grease slide rails. Either Mobil 1 chassis grease. And I have to Brian Enos SlideGlide around.

Over the years I have used many of the gun products. Mobil 1 works well and is a whole lot cheaper.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Grease on the rails. I use Milcomm TW25 grease on all my pistols. I bought a 4oz tube several years ago, it will probably last me forever. I use Mobil 1 grease (and oil) on rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

magwell

Mar 19, 2015
    I've been using Lucas Oils Red & Tacky #2 on my pistol slides for a while with good results. Also use it on ar bolt carriers. Home Depot has it, a tube will last forever.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Grease on the rails. I use Milcomm TW25 grease on all my pistols. I bought a 4oz tube several years ago, it will probably last me forever. I use Mobil 1 grease (and oil) on rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup. What he said. Can’t go wrong.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    I love the Milcomm products. Mobil 1 or Amsoil chassis grease and motor oil work well, but Milcomm is slicker. I use the Milcomm grease on my SIG 1911 which is a matte stainless slide on an aluminum frame. Smooth.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    You probably won't. I'm sure your local airport has lots of it sitting around though!

But you're most likely going to have to order it. It's essentially what the Swiss repackage as Automatenfett and it contains no graphite.

Amazon has it. I picked up the Aeroshell 33MS, which is basically Aeroshell 64 now.

Q

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom