• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    I finally got the paper work back to transfer a suppressor I sold. WOW! a little over 6 months :sad20: Anyone know if the wait times are improving and getting close to normal again? That seems to be a bit excessive, and makes it hard to sell NFA items when you tell people the wait could be over 6 months. Oh yeah, the LEO sign off was done locally in one day, so no MSP wait included in that time.

crfakm4

hotel z71
    Jun 8, 2008
    MD
    Wow. I am waiting on my form 4 to come back. I was hoping the 3 1/2 months I have been waiting would be the most.

6 months? Daayum...

CKOD

Jan 30, 2009
    Wow. I am waiting on my form 4 to come back. I was hoping the 3 1/2 months I have been waiting would be the most.

6 months? Daayum...

6 months does sound quite long, mine went pending on the 8th of july, a little over 2 months, and I'm currently waiting on FBI to get back with the fingerprint results. I'm alredy in the fingerprint database for work, they just need to make sure the ones on the card match the ones in the DB and make sure I havent been up to any shens in the last 2 years. I'm hoping my transfer will be < 4 months.

Last edited:

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    I know a month or so of that was them wanting a citizenship form, which I think is crazy when the person was born in the US(stated on the form 4) and still lives in the US(also on the form 4). It shouldn't take that long, and I wonder if they are just trying to discourage NFA purchases by making the wait unreasonable.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Its not that the examiner is spending 6 weeks looking at your form, he/she only spends about five minutes on it. The issue is the backlog of the 100k+ forms ahead of you in line, each waiting for their five minutes.

Apone

May 1, 2009
    Salida, CO
    Yep. I'm on 4 months now and counting. My app has been assigned an examiner, and I spoke to her last week - my app isn't even on her desk yet. I'm guessing another 2 months.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Mine went in around mid June. Check cashed June 30th.

Will check on it if I dont hear anything by the end of Sept.

Have no idea who to call or what to ask for as this is my first.

Dave

Fustercluck

Aug 4, 2008
    Eastern Shore
    Sent in a form 4 in mid-March for a 'can. Local LEO sign-off, so no MSP delay. Went pending 6/5. Still waiting. The chick at NFA said that 5-6 months is the norm right now, when I finally got spooked and called them last week. Avoided the trust route. As they say, a patient man's game.

Ak44

Sep 15, 2009
    Gave my paperwork to MSP in Jan, got it back late Feb. Sent it off to ATF and got it back mid Aug.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Just called and checked on my. Went pending July 30th. Weird, check cleared June 30th. Oh well, from the sounds of it I have about 2-4 more months of waiting.

Dave

R

RandyS

I called today too regarding a suppressor. It went pending the last part of August, almost a month after I mailed the forms.

The previous transfer took exactly 1 month from the day I mailed it to go pending, then a few days short of a month to be approved. I'm hopeful that this one takes a similar path, the 4 to 6 months time that is being reported is crazy.

Randy

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Just checked on mine again Dec 1st. 4 months into my wait and still pending. Found out my reviewer is Barbera Payne. Will check back after the first of the year I guess and see how things are then.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Five months one week for one.
    Two months on another.

I've never felt the need to check on any of mine. It doesn't speed up the process any. You get it when you get it :shrug:

I will say five months is the longest I've waited on any of mine.
    If you REALLY want to wait-try ordering an FAL from DSA......the last one was 26 weeks :sad20:

CKOD

Jan 30, 2009
    Ehh I dont think it hurts to check to make sure it went pending over the time period it should have. That and you never know when the dealer could screw up and sit on the paperwork, so check monthly after 3-4 months or so.

squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    It should get better now that Obama-mania is calming down.

For what it's worth, about a year and a half ago, I wrote them a letter asking them to add a caliber to my SBR record. I JUST got a reply back maybe 2 weeks ago. :P

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    Been 8 weeks on a form five transfer of some items from a local police deparment to my business, and as of last week it was approved but waiting to get the papers. That seems really slow for a no tax transfer from government to a SOT.

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    The ATF just cashed my check for a Form 4 suppressor, so I suppose I should hurry up and wait for the next 5 months. As long as I have the stamp before my brother and his family come over from the UK next July, I'll be happy.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    AR15.com members have been reporting recent form 1 and form 4 individual and trust transactions both as fast as eight weeks(!). It seems to all depend on who your examiner is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom