• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hermfro

Jan 23, 2017
    Severn, MD
    What are these wait times for the 77R to be approved through the MSP's new system? I did fill out the application on 2/06/17 for approval of a handgun purchase. It says "Submitted to Application Pool", I'm wondering how long it takes them to get through this "Pool" lol.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    What are these wait times for the 77R to be approved through the MSP's new system? I did fill out the application on 2/06/17 for approval of a handgun purchase. It says "Submitted to Application Pool", I'm wondering how long it takes them to get through this "Pool" lol.

Did you go to a gun shop and buy something?

It has been taking people exactly 7 days AFTER the local FFL submits the purchase.

you submit to the application pool before you go in to the FFL, then bring in a copy of the email they send you w/ the application # and PIN.
    Keep the PIN with you when you pick it up too.

hermfro

Jan 23, 2017
    Severn, MD
    I have not been to my FFL to make a purchase yet. I received my HQL on 2/3 and filled the application on 2/6. It was my knowledge that I needed the application finished first before a purchase. So my chain would be, receive HQL > fill application > application accepted > go to FFL with approved application and pin > make firearm purchase >wait the time then pick it up. Is this correct lol?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    The way it has worked for me is the "Submitted into Application Pool" is only there until the state gets your handgun information from the dealer. Then it changes to "Application Review" or something like that. Then on the 7th day at 6am, if everything goes right, it will then change to "Not Disapproved". At that point you may take your information to the dealer and pick up your handgun. But please remember to take your new PIN with you. Without that, the dealer cannot release your handgun to you.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    hermfro,
    your good to go,
    when you fill your end out, until you go to buy a handgun (or lower) and the FFL does his part, it will stay like it is now.

There is no MSP approval process that I know of other than submitting ot the pool before you buy the gun/lower.

If you had not filled it out ahead of time, your FFL would/should let you do it there. Doing it ahead of time simply saves time at the FFL and that is good for everyone.

hermfro

Jan 23, 2017
    Severn, MD
    Ah ok. So I should go to purchase the one of my choice, then they will send over that information to the MSP. And that will get the ball rolling on the application being accepted. I will go to my FFL this week and say, hey I filled out my application what is next, I'm new to this, teach me lol.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Ah ok. So I should go to purchase the one of my choice, then they will send over that information to the MSP. And that will get the ball rolling on the application being accepted. I will go to my FFL this week and say, hey I filled out my application what is next, I'm new to this, teach me lol.

That's correct. It basically sits there as "pending" until they get the information from your FFL about what gun you're buying so that they can register it to you while they do the background checks.

And just to get pedantic, you will never get "approved" to buy a handgun in Maryland. You will only ever get "not disapproved." :rolleyes: Hey, it's Maryland.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

You must take the email that was sent to you which states your application number and PIN. Without that your dealer cannot proceed.

shocka04

Jan 17, 2012
    Calvert County
    The way it has worked for me is the "Submitted into Application Pool" is only there until the state gets your handgun information from the dealer. Then it changes to "Application Review" or something like that. Then on the 7th day at 6am, if everything goes right, it will then change to "Not Disapproved". At that point you may take your information to the dealer and pick up your handgun. But please remember to take your new PIN with you. Without that, the dealer cannot release your handgun to you.

I've purchased twice since the new online process began and it has worked exactly this way both times. I don't get the approval email until 6AM of the day that I can pick up. I'm pretty sure it's approved before then but they don't change the status until then.

magnetic1

Jun 21, 2013
    Montgomery County
    Just submitted one on Monday.

Did not check yesterday, but this thread got me curious. Today (Weds), it shows as "Under Review MDSP" with a status date of 2/13/17 (Mon)

02/07/2017 03:30PM
    Application has been submitted to the Application Pool.

02/13/2017 04:31PM
    Application has been submitted to Licensing Division.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    MSP is turning them around right on time.

Every one we have filed on the new system has generated a "Not Dissapproved" email to the customer at around 0630 on the 7th day.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you go into the system, and Print the 77r, you will see it will be Not Disapproved much sooner than 7 days.

IMO, they do not send out the email to keep people who do not understand the process from going to their FFL and not being able to pick up as it is not yet 7 days.

BTW, if there is a holiday in the 7 day period, they email will come on the 8th day.

Their logic for the email is slightly flawed from the printed info on the hard copy 77r.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    even if your approved before 7 days, the law still says 7 days, so MSP doesn't send the email until 7 days. have elapsed. Prevents people from showing up early if they got an email when the actual approval occurs.

MSP actually did something right.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

How do you expect MSP to approve the delivery of nothing? :)

You have to BUY something to be APPROVED to pick it up.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I have not been to my FFL to make a purchase yet. I received my HQL on 2/3 and filled the application on 2/6. It was my knowledge that I needed the application finished first before a purchase. So my chain would be, receive HQL > fill application > application accepted > go to FFL with approved application and pin > make firearm purchase >wait the time then pick it up. Is this correct lol?

You have to go to the FFL, purchase your firearm and give them your pin to submit their portion of the 77R for the process to start.

There is nothing for MSP to complete before you go to the FFL. You have been waiting for nothing to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom