• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tankfixr

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Harford County
    Will be transferring a handgun from a private owner in Pennsylvania. What are the legalities of getting it home here in Maryland? FFL to FFL? Transfer there and drive here? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Except for inheritance, you can only recieve for transfer a handgun from an FFL in your state of residence when it is from a resident of another state.
    You can have them send it directly to the FFL in MD who is a MD regulated firearms dealer who will then transfer it to you, but some will not accept one from a private party, so you may have to ask around to see which one will.

Also, first make sure the handgun is on the MD Handgun Roster if it was made after, I think, 1984.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    the handgun has to go through a MD FFL, he can ship it to your FFL, he could have his FFL ship it to your FFL (too much $$), or if he's close he can meet you at your FFL and drop it off

WELCOME!!

littlebr4d

Large Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Jarrettsville, MD
    the handgun has to go through a MD FFL, he can ship it to your FFL, he could have his FFL ship it to your FFL (too much $$), or if he's close he can meet you at your FFL and drop it off

WELCOME!!

So, if I'm selling a handgun that I (a PA resident) currently own, to a MD resident, I can drive it to a MD FFL that we choose to meet at. Correct?

Just trying to make sure I'm understanding this correctly because I'm getting mixed information.

Thanks!

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    So, if I'm selling a handgun that I (a PA resident) currently own, to a MD resident, I can drive it to a MD FFL that we choose to meet at. Correct?

Just trying to make sure I'm understanding this correctly because I'm getting mixed information.

Thanks!

As long as that FFL will accept a firearm from a private citizen. Some FFL's will only accept a gun from another FFL. Of course, if the buyer tells the dealer that you will be driving and hand delivering the gun, that might change their mind.

littlebr4d

Large Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Jarrettsville, MD
    As long as that FFL will accept a firearm from a private citizen. Some FFL's will only accept a gun from another FFL. Of course, if the buyer tells the dealer that you will be driving and hand delivering the gun, that might change their mind.

Gotcha. And what about MSP Barracks?

ThatIsAFact

Mar 5, 2007
    additional Maryland requirements for certain handgun transfers

So, if I'm selling a handgun that I (a PA resident) currently own, to a MD resident, I can drive it to a MD FFL that we choose to meet at. Correct? Just trying to make sure I'm understanding this correctly because I'm getting mixed information. Thanks!

If the handgun was manufactured after 1984, it can only be legally transferred to a Maryland resident if it is on the Handgun Roster.

In addition, if the handgun was manufactured after 2002, an "integrated mechanical" lock, approved by the Roster Board and included on this list, must be transferred with the handgun. So you need to have a discussion with the FFL, beforehand, to make sure that this requirement is fulfilled.

There is also a fired-shell casing requirement for "new" handguns transferred after October 1, 2000, but since your handgun is "used" (i.e., previously owned by a non-FFL), this does not apply in your case and we don't need to get into the details.

ThatIsAFact

littlebr4d

Large Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Jarrettsville, MD
    Thanks, everyone for the good information!

I had forgotten about that pesky handgun roster... Luckily the handgun I'm selling is on it.

I shouldn't have forgotten about the lock, but that is something I ought to put in my for sale ad on here.

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom