• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eurocarnut

Jul 28, 2010
    Does anyone on here have an 80% Lower Jig that they are willing to lend out or rent?

cambrann

Jul 6, 2016
    If anyone has an AR15 jig theyd be willing to let me borrow please PM me :)

Last edited:

GoldGunsGirls

May 30, 2012
    Rockville
    There is absolutely no legal issue with renting an 80% lower jig. It's a hunk of aluminum and steel. All the work to actually mill out the lower must be done manually. Come on, people. Stop making life easier for gun grabbers.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    There is absolutely no legal issue with renting an 80% lower jig. It's a hunk of aluminum and steel. All the work to actually mill out the lower must be done manually. Come on, people. Stop making life easier for gun grabbers.

show me the ruling, then what you say applies to a milling machine in my
    basement, I'm not a "business" so under your thinking I could charge you
    for using my mill to do your lower, right? AS far as gun grabbers, this day
    and time you have to cover "all bases" and with all the heat on this topic
    just brings more attention... main stream... WE don't need it..
    but...if you want to do it have at it..

-Rock

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    If a jig can be sold, like on eBay or Amazon, I'm pretty sure it could be rented also. If someone wants to borrow mine they are welcome to it. Not interested in renting it but not because I think it's illegal, I've got my use out of it and it's just collecting dust.

trailtoy

GOA, MSI, NRA
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2013
    St. Marys
    What if you were to sell your jig for say $25 and buy it back 'used' for say $10? Asking for a friend.

Nay_sayer

May 30, 2013
    Lothian, MD
    I’m still not sure it’s illegal unless you are a business. Only a business that manufactures firearms must be licensed and serialize the firearms and the determination says “businesses” that rent or allow access to equipment they own or control. I’m an individual with a personal jig, a cross slide vise and a drill press. I’m not required to be licensed nor am I required to serialze any firearm I manufacturer for my own use and ownership. Where does it say that an individual can’t rent out or allow access to tools or equipment they own whether or not that equipment will be used to make personal firearms as long as the person is doing all of the work themselves? I believe this is BGOS.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I’m still not sure it’s illegal unless you are a business. Only a business that manufactures firearms must be licensed and serialize the firearms and the determination says “businesses” that rent or allow access to equipment they own or control. I’m an individual with a personal jig, a cross slide vise and a drill press. I’m not required to be licensed nor am I required to serialze any firearm I manufacturer for my own use and ownership. Where does it say that an individual can’t rent out or allow access to tools or equipment they own whether or not that equipment will be used to make personal firearms as long as the person is doing all of the work themselves? I believe this is BGOS.

It may be BGOS. Do you trust .gov? If you are renting something out, they can argue you are doing business. I think gratuitous loans are still fine.

Nay_sayer

May 30, 2013
    Lothian, MD
    It may be BGOS. Do you trust .gov? If you are renting something out, they can argue you are doing business. I think gratuitous loans are still fine.

No, I wouldn’t trust .gov on much of anything. Would still argue hobby vs. business on the making money off of it if they tried that route (I believe the IRS has good definitions on that). But, I do see your point.

I also learned long ago not to loan out tools and wouldn’t rent them out either. Just opining on the legality. IANAL and don’t recall ever staying at a Holiday Inn Express either.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    No, I wouldn’t trust .gov on much of anything. Would still argue hobby vs. business on the making money off of it if they tried that route (I believe the IRS has good definitions on that). But, I do see your point.

I also learned long ago not to loan out tools and wouldn’t rent them out either. Just opining on the legality. IANAL and don’t recall ever staying at a Holiday Inn Express either.

Do you have the "resources" to find out??? Honestly it's not worth
    the problems or $$$$ and to be on the "radar" I understand
    everyones point, if it wasn't a problem or issue you sure would
    see a lot of it.
    it you "rent" and if you think like they think you are getting $$$
    next question would be how long has it been going on? you are
    providing a service, look not a lawyer but why do it, I'm sure
    there are plenty that have all kind of jigs, 80%, welding, bending,
    etc. even all the HK jigs, could make a ton of money...

I understand what you are saying..also

-Rock

Nay_sayer

May 30, 2013
    Lothian, MD
    Do you have the "resources" to find out??? Honestly it's not worth
    the problems or $$$$ and to be on the "radar" I understand
    everyones point, if it wasn't a problem or issue you sure would
    see a lot of it.
    it you "rent" and if you think like they think you are getting $$$
    next question would be how long has it been going on? you are
    providing a service, look not a lawyer but why do it, I'm sure
    there are plenty that have all kind of jigs, 80%, welding, bending,
    etc. even all the HK jigs, could make a ton of money...

I understand what you are saying..also

-Rock

I choose not to over-analyze the law in most cases but to follow them as they are written. I am aware that this is a risk albeit a calculated one. I also understand that not everyone would choose this route and some would err solidly on the other side out of an abundance of caution. That’s fine too.

I guess it’s a moot point since I have no intention of renting or loaning out my tools or equipment :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom