• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    So my wife & I are getting our first boat. (Well sorta - a decade or so back we bought a small inflatable (dingy) but it was under-powered for what we wanted to do and we never got to use it as we planned.) We pick up the (brand new) boat Friday afternoon.

So here's my question. I'm of course getting insurance for the boat with Allstate. They offer $1,0000 for emergency services as part of their basic package, but for an additional $10 a year more will bump it up to $3,000 per incident.

Yeah, I know, it's only $10 a year, but in reality would I ever use more than $1,000 for emergency services (e.g. towing, etc.)? It's nice to say "more is always better" and of course it is, but then where do you stop? Three grand? Five grand? Ten? No point in getting silly or over-buying.

Oh I should hasten to add this is a 20' pleasure boat (pontoon) and we're only planning to stay in the tributaries of the bay or hug the coast along the upper portion of the bay. Yeah, I'm not taking it out in the deep water or the lower portions of the bay. This is a close-to-shore putzing along boat: fishing, swimming, and just being lazy out on the water.

Thoughts from those of you more experienced in this than me? (That's not hard.) Thanks.

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    A TowBoatUS membership is money well spent.

I agree, while the Allstate coverage is probably adequate, Allstate does not have a fleet of towboats, so you will have to pay out of pocket and then get reimbursed from Allstate. Also, if you need a tow on a busy weekend, TowboatUS is going to service their own members before they get to you, so make sure you bring your lunch.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    When you call for a boat to tow you, they charge from the time they start their engine until they shut it off at their home pier. Towing a boat is NOT CHEAP!

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    I'll check out TowBoatUS. Thanks. I assume that's like AAA on the waves?

When you call for a boat to tow you, they charge from the time they start their engine until they shut it off at their home pier. Towing a boat is NOT CHEAP!

I understand which is why I asked the question. But $1K is already not cheap. But would it be over $1K in the area I just described?

Thanks all.

cowboy321

Apr 21, 2009
    So my wife & I are getting our first boat. (Well sorta - a decade or so back we bought a small inflatable (dingy) but it was under-powered for what we wanted to do and we never got to use it as we planned.) We pick up the (brand new) boat Friday afternoon.

So here's my question. I'm of course getting insurance for the boat with Allstate. They offer $1,0000 for emergency services as part of their basic package, but for an additional $10 a year more will bump it up to $3,000 per incident.

Yeah, I know, it's only $10 a year, but in reality would I ever use more than $1,000 for emergency services (e.g. towing, etc.)? It's nice to say "more is always better" and of course it is, but then where do you stop? Three grand? Five grand? Ten? No point in getting silly or over-buying.

Oh I should hasten to add this is a 20' pleasure boat (pontoon) and we're only planning to stay in the tributaries of the bay or hug the coast along the upper portion of the bay. Yeah, I'm not taking it out in the deep water or the lower portions of the bay. This is a close-to-shore putzing along boat: fishing, swimming, and just being lazy out on the water.

Thoughts from those of you more experienced in this than me? (That's not hard.) Thanks.

I have had 7 boats. Been towed several times. BoatUS is a good deal. I got the $1000 package after paying $500 out of pocket for a ten minute tow..

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    I have Towboat. $125 a year if you get at the boatshow. It paid for itself two months ago. My engine died permamently about 6 miles south of New Smyrna Beach Fl. The tow to the city marina cost me nothing. The tow captain told me that it would have cost 650 plus without a membership.

duckslayer

Feb 3, 2009
    southern dorchester county
    I understand which is why I asked the question. But $1K is already not cheap. But would it be over $1K in the area I just described?

Thanks all.

It sure could be,especially if after dark

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I agree, while the Allstate coverage is probably adequate, Allstate does not have a fleet of towboats, so you will have to pay out of pocket and then get reimbursed from Allstate. Also, if you need a tow on a busy weekend, TowboatUS is going to service their own members before they get to you, so make sure you bring your lunch.

Also, the insurance coverage is when you suffer an insured event, like a hard grounding or collision and you need tow or salvage services. The Towboat membership will cover you in cases like fuel contamination or if you just do something dumb like venturing into too shallow of a creek.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    New as in brand spanking new? Not new to you..

If you going to get insurance... Insure the boat itself and possible liability..

Don't think just about for towing or getting fixed.

It sucks if the boat sank with your firearm and you still need to pay for the boat.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    A 20' pontoon, I'd keep a kicker or even a trolling motor aboard and not worry too much. You'd need to puncture several chambers on one side to sink it and that's where the recovery expense comes in.

After losing a fuel pump on dad's old CC I made a swim platform mount for his dingy's 5hp outboard. Sure as heck beat paddling or poling it back to the dock.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Definitely join Boat US.

If you haven't already done it, take a Coast Guard Aux. boating class. Lots of good info that might save your life, or at least keep you out of trouble. Learn and follow the rules of the road (even though most other boaters ignore them). If you're in a collision you will be held liable if you didn't obey the RoR, and insurance might not cover your liability.

Be sure someone else on board knows how to operate the boat in case you become incapacitated or fall overboard, so they can pilot the boat to safety or pick you up out of the water.

Practice maneuvering around docks, forward and backward. A pontoon boat has a lot of sail area, and can be pretty hard to control against a cross wind.

Your biggest risk will be from other boaters acting stupidly... speeding (too fast for conditions), not passing/overtaking properly, operating under the influence, and a lot more. It has been estimated that on a typical weekend afternoon over half of the boat operators have been drinking, and many of those are close to, or above, the legal limit.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Definitely join Boat US.

If you haven't already done it, take a Coast Guard Aux. boating class. Lots of good info that might save your life, or at least keep you out of trouble. Learn and follow the rules of the road (even though most other boaters ignore them). If you're in a collision you will be held liable if you didn't obey the RoR, and insurance might not cover your liability.

Be sure someone else on board knows how to operate the boat in case you become incapacitated or fall overboard, so they can pilot the boat to safety or pick you up out of the water.

Practice maneuvering around docks, forward and backward. A pontoon boat has a lot of sail area, and can be pretty hard to control against a cross wind.

Your biggest risk will be from other boaters acting stupidly... speeding (too fast for conditions), not passing/overtaking properly, operating under the influence, and a lot more. It has been estimated that on a typical weekend afternoon over half of the boat operators have been drinking, and many of those are close to, or above, the legal limit.

What Ed said. Have the necessary safety equiptment, and know the rules. I think you MUST attend a boater's safety course unless you are grandfathered. A good idea anyway. Also, heed what Ed said about other boaters. The stupid on the bay, it HURTS! Things happen that you could never expect.

-Have a known good working radio on board at all times.
    -Flares and signals are required!
    -Life jackets for everyone. Suggest wearing one, I do! Get the inflatable much more comfortable.
    -Have enough towing insurance to "get you back" from your furthest destination. Remember that towing at night is "time and a half". Factor it in.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    What Ed said. Have the necessary safety equiptment, and know the rules. I think you MUST attend a boater's safety course unless you are grandfathered.

The cutoff date is in 1972 (related to the legislative history of the rule).

BoatUS offers the Maryland compliant online course for free on their website. It tells you not to get drunk and run over a diver. Oh, and be nice to the Manatees.

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    Got towed once due to bad gas. Would have been $1000 to be towed 3.8 miles without Unlimited Gold insurance option. I'm nearly 40 ft., though. Not 20 ft. Ever boat 7.6 miles from home? Prolly same price.

As said previously, join boatus. Get the "Unlimited gold" insurance option, unless you already have unlimited gold.....

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    Got towed once due to bad gas. Would have been $1000 to be towed 3.8 miles without Unlimited Gold insurance option. I'm nearly 40 ft., though. Not 20 ft. Ever boat 7.6 miles from home? Prolly same price.

As said previously, join boatus. Get the "Unlimited gold" insurance option, unless you already have unlimited gold.....

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Congrats on the new boat

Mind the wind. Freeboard.

Insurance is good imo. More is better until it ain’t. The additional coverage quote you mentioned sounds like a prudent expenditure; especially in your first year as a new owner.

Google “kedging” and keep that in mind when considering towing insurance. You did say you’d be staying inshore.

An anchor is a poor man’s tow boat. It’s also a new mariner’s best friend.

I humbly suggest a course in navigation and boat handling too.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Mr. Ed speaks the truf! I am on the water more days than off, and see a lot of uneducated boaters doing all sorts of dumb things. I have additional towing coverage through my vessel policy, but it’s commercial insurance. I would have to pay, then wait to be reimbursed. For recreational use, I would highly recommend BoatUS, or Seatow depending on who is closer to the area you intend to travel. That would be separate from insurance for loss/damage coverage. One thing to consider with coverage through Allstate, if you need a tow will they consider it as a claim, the same as a collision, etc.? Maybe causing a rise in your rates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom