• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Just remember if you're hunting for food bigger isn't better. A friend went and did a high fence hunt in PA, shot a 348 pound hog and thought he hit the pork lottery...until he tried to eat it...ended up with a year's worth of expensive dog food...If you want a trophy go for it...but don't expect it to be edible.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    Just remember if you're hunting for food bigger isn't better. A friend went and did a high fence hunt in PA, shot a 348 pound hog and thought he hit the pork lottery...until he tried to eat it...ended up with a year's worth of expensive dog food...If you want a trophy go for it...but don't expect it to be edible.

Yeah the suckling pig canned hunt! Those happy little piglets in a small fenced in area (seems high to them)! Bring your favorite 22!:D

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013

george g.

Jan 11, 2009
    Edgemere
    I've eaten 200 pound hogs and not much different then the 150 hog.I've even ate my texas dall ram I shot, but I couldn't eat the goat I shot.

G8tor

Nov 30, 2013
    Calvert County
    Just the kind of advice I was looking for. Did you do a free range or fenced hunt? Free range seem to have a high level

I did a fenced hunt since it was my first time and for $400, I wanted to make sure I brought home some meat. That being said, I get where you're coming from wanting to do free range. I can't speak to the success rate on that. I'm pretty sure they don't guarantee anything on the free range hunts. The fenced in area was pretty big though. About 100 acres if I remember correctly. I had to stalk quite a bit until a good shot presented itself. My father in law and i both took 150lbers and the meat was pretty good. Owner said he feeds them peanut butter and corn then switches to apples in the fall, so the meat is a little sweeter this time of year.

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    Do plenty of internet searches for reviews posted and not provided by the establishment. I was at a banquet and I think it may have been the Cherokee place mentioned above(could be wrong) and there were some horrendous reviews, enough that I didn’t bid on it.

DENWA

May 5, 2008
    I've been there a few times and taken 6 boar, 3 Stag, 2 Elk and buffalo(for a buddy).

The group rates for pigs were like $450 plus $30 for the lodge which included breakfast and lunch.

It in PA and a great place to meet the old buddies from all over the US.

Yes we stay and extra night and drink some whisky around the fire in the lodge and have always had a great time.

BTW-- I've taken +400 lb jumbo Russian hogs there and they were absolutely delicious.

armed_economist

Dec 4, 2017
    I've been there a few times and taken 6 boar, 3 Stag, 2 Elk and buffalo(for a buddy).

The group rates for pigs were like $450 plus $30 for the lodge which included breakfast and lunch.

It in PA and a great place to meet the old buddies from all over the US.

Yes we stay and extra night and drink some whisky around the fire in the lodge and have always had a great time.

BTW-- I've taken +400 lb jumbo Russian hogs there and they were absolutely delicious.

So they charge you by the number and type of animals you kill and the number of nights you stay? The drinking whiskey around a fire part sounds almost as much fun as hunting itself.

DENWA

May 5, 2008
    So they charge you by the number and type of animals you kill and the number of nights you stay? The drinking whiskey around a fire part sounds almost as much fun as hunting itself.

Its a great time. About 1.5 hours from Fredrick, MD

They have a no kill no pay rule.

They let you choose animals or walk away without a bill.

They have a spring bow hunt special coming up where they have a flat fee like $325 and they allow 60 animals go no matter what it is...

Super great guys and class acts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom