Pop/Permit: 365

Los Angeles County population: 10,000,000
    CCW permits: 197
    Pop/Permit: 51,761

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    I can't believe I'm one of only 2k LMAO

I guess nearly no one in this city wants to do it.

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    I can't believe I'm one of only 2k LMAO

I guess nearly no one in this city wants to do it.

It's very expensive especially for a DC resident. There's the cost of the class ($200 - $350), application fee, registration fee if registering more than one gun, then for DC residents an additional $125 DC FFL + $25 or more VA/MD FFL transfer fee. Add that to the cost of the firearm(s) and you get initial sticker shock. It can get to $1000 or more once everything's factored in.

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    It's very expensive especially for a DC resident. There's the cost of the class ($200 - $350), application fee, registration fee if registering more than one gun, then for DC residents an additional $125 DC FFL + $25 or more VA/MD FFL transfer fee. Add that to the cost of the firearm(s) and you get initial sticker shock. It can get to $1000 or more once everything's factored in.

So basically, some of the people who might need it the most are unfairly restricted. Sheesh.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Pretty close.

Cost of training - $290.00 https://www.dcconcealedcarry.com/class-registration-1.html

Carry permit application fee - $75.00

Digital fingerprint fee - $35.00

Glock handgun - $350.00 (let's be generous and say that they were able to pick up a LEO trade in)

DC FFL Transfer - $125.00

Total: $875.00 if the selling FFL doesn't charge anything to ship to DC.

And two years later for renewal:

Four hour training - $180.00

Permit renewal - $50.00

Total: $230.00

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    Technically true, this was a holdover from when they were May Issue so that one didn't waste $$ on training if not going to be approved.

I believe a G23 with a 10 round mag would be GTG but IANAL.

Anytime you want to carry an additional firearm you need to register it and get another card just like the first time. A quick trip to MPD HQ, not terrible.

Offered for the record:

DC population: 694,000.
    CCW permits: 1,900
    Pop/Permit: 365

Los Angeles County population: 10,000,000
    CCW permits: 197
    Pop/Permit: 51,761

Remember, DC also gives permits to non-residents, which skews those numbers quite a bit...

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Remember, DC also gives permits to non-residents, which skews those numbers quite a bit...

Very true, and in fact I would wager that more non residents have permits in DC.

You're quoting of my post reminded me that Deb Rey sponsored a bill last session that would have an applicant be approved for a permit first by MSP and then have to get the training.

One of the many pro 2A bills she sponsored during her tenure and yet there are still some on this board who are glad she lost. :sad20:

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    Shame DC didn’t try to appeal the ruling. Would have been a great case for the Supreme Court to take. Oh well, here’s hoping that the 9th Circuit screws up and gives us the SCOTUS case we want.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    So basically, some of the people who might need it the most are unfairly restricted. Sheesh.

This has been a talking point for years, it's prohibitively expensive.

I'm so rusty on this VB forum,... can't figure out how to post the "That's Racist" gif.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I will post the bilingual versions so we aren't accused of being total racists.

Attachments

• thats_racist.gif
      thats_racist.gif
      160 KB · Views: 168
    • thats racist spanish.gif
      thats racist spanish.gif
      238.9 KB · Views: 171

tailgunner

Oct 18, 2013
    PAsadena Md.
    So close and yet so far. Fat boy Hogan could change md to shall issue... but he does whatever Miller and Bush want him to. I held my nose when I checked his box this time.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Interesting point about LA City & County , but hard to make a direct comparison . The population base for DC is under counted, and the number of Permits for LA under counted .

Due to percentage of non DC Residents working , doing business, or regularly spending time in DC , should include substantial percentage of the DC metro area .

Likewise , LA has substantial influx of out of county residents spending much time in LA . But in their case, Permits issued by Orange , Ventura, San Bernardino , etc are valid statewide .

But yes , there are factors why the rate is so low in DC . Regardless of which training provider is slightly less expensive, it still a cumulative cost that adds up to serious $$$ , and time, and hassle. Either not having it period , or in the hierarchy of priorities . Heck , I still don't have my DC yet , because of too many competing priorities of time and $ , and the drawn out delay of gratification .

But also , among the long time residents , the pool of gun ownership has literally died out . With the previous ( pre- Heller ) ability to aquire handguns legally closing in 1972 , the youngest a pre- Heller owner could be is 67yo , and more typically in 70's to 90's . Aka mostly deceased by now .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom