• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    Saw an ad/video on the book of faces about a company, Phoenix Weaponry, that has put out an AR 15 chambered in 45-70. This interests me a greatly as all the thumper ARs are in special large calibers and 45-70 has been around forever and not so much a special purpose round.

This beast is pricey and maybe that will come down after some time. Can't imagine the recoil though it is obviously less than a single shot rolling block. If these pass the function test I'm interested.

Attachments

• 1053468900-1.jpg
      1053468900-1.jpg
      17.1 KB · Views: 726

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick

Ouch!

Saw an ad/video on the book of faces about a company, Phoenix Weaponry, that has put out an AR 15 chambered in 45-70. This interests me a greatly as all the thumper ARs are in special large calibers and 45-70 has been around forever and not so much a special purpose round.

I don't like niche calibers either but if I was going for an AR that does about the same thing the 458 SOCOM is the answer I think, and you can use standard AR/5.56 mags.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    Might as well just go with a .50 BMG and be done with it.

After seeing the sticker price that's exactly what I thought. Although the 50 bmg offers fewer places to shoot while the 45-70 is good to go at most ranges 4800 for an AR it better be SOTAR approved.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Look at the rimless brass...".45-70 Auto" :tdown: I'm out.:sad20:
    It's almost like they tried to sneak that in. *WHY* would someone create a new cartridge when 45 Raptor exists, is cheaper, and is already doing the same basic thing. Both are rated to ~65ksi (same as the parent AR10.) 45 Raptor uses .452 bullets based on the 460 S&W handgun, while 45-70 will use a .458 bullet. That's the only difference I can see. I guess you have to ask yourself do you already reload for one of the other cartridges and have a supply of bullets already (that are GC or jacketed to push to the required speed - not all 458 bullets can handle that)

Lloyd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2012
    FEMA Camp
    Isn’t the 458. Socom round equivalent to 45-70 ?

I'm not a fan of this $5K rifle, but the 45-70 is straight wall and I'm told very forgiving to reload. Some argue the 45-70 is a great SHTF round due to it being able to be reloaded with blackpowder, cast bullets, and seat the bullet with simple hand vise. I've never did this, but YouTube has a few videos showing this.

My understanding is that .458 being a necked cartridge would be less forgiving in that same situation.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Not the same as 458 SOCOM which is fired from an AR15 at a 35ksi limit. 47-70 @ Ruger #1 loads is 65ksi. The rifle mentioned here is an AR10 frame.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    While I am a BIG fan of the .45-70, this so-called .45-70 Auto does NOT interest me, at all.

AR-10/AR-308 rifle. I got one.
    .45-70 rifle(s). Got several.

I'm not about to pay close to $5K for a rifle, then proprietary brass. (Couldn't find the current price, but, each piece ain't cheap!)

For kicks and grins, I did pick up a .458 SOCOM upper. Still haven't done anything with it...... yet. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom