• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    Real men do this themselves.

Pshaw, you left out the cost of opening your shotgun's port so you can nail a reliable quad load in the first place.

Personal opinion: you are better off skipping shotgun and going 2gun if you can't stomach the cost of a decent semi-auto shotgun w/ extended tube, carriers, and shotgun work you need to do it right. There is nothing less fun than fumbling with a side saddle or trying to pull shells out of your 5.11s in random orientations when you're on the clock. Depending on the stage, you can do generally reasonable work with a so-so rifle/pistol setup, but shotgun in 3gun is all about reloading, and if you can't reload fast...

I enjoy shooting a shotgun, even if I am running it slowly.

I could buy dummy shells and practice reloading it while sitting around with my kids?

peacemaker and a few others use the umml ruleset where you can opt to shoot 3 gun matches in a 2 gun division, and of course there are actual 2 gun matches around (peacemaker, thurmont, etc). i've been doing that lately, the shottie adds by far the most complexity (diff chokes, shot v slugs, specialized/expensive shell holders, super low magazine capacity, etc). sometimes it's nice to do a handgun-only match (uspsa, idpa) and just throw your handgun and belt in the truck and that's it.

Are those places worth going to watch a match?

All good, got a Thursday night shotgun shoot in 2 weeks just before the match, if you can make that

the 15th?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I enjoy shooting a shotgun, even if I am running it slowly.

I could buy dummy shells and practice reloading it while sitting around with my kids?
    This is indeed what the pros do. If you can swing it, a belt-mounted shell carrier to let you load twins or quads is highly recommended. (Maybe start with twins?)

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Practice with dummy shells, twin and quad loading are practically a requirement, loading on the move is even better, loading more than anything can easily make or break a run, . Depending on where you compete, it is good to practice strong hand/weak hand, loading from empty, topping off, using a match saver, or swapping in slugs. Can't count how many times I saw someone go to load an empty gun with the lifter locked and bolt open dumping 4 shells and loosing time before figuring it out, stopping movement to load, or dropping shells. Everyone has a preference for shell caddies, chest or belt, horizontal or vertical, one big one or small ones etc.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Are those places worth going to watch a match?

most who have gone to just watch a match were pretty disappointed they didn't bring their guns and gear and actually shoot it.

for starters i'd recommend just doing a "one gun" match - uspsa, idpa, steel challenge, various falling steel matches. bring what you got and i can't imagine you won't be able to shoot it even if for no score. steel challenge is an excellent first match, basically no movement or reloading on the clock, just shoot five steel's and repeat 4 times, then repeat this on 4-7 additional stages.

to answer your question, if you want to watch a match yes the places and matches i mentioned will let you see first hand what gear is needed and how the matches run.

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    This is indeed what the pros do. If you can swing it, a belt-mounted shell carrier to let you load twins or quads is highly recommended. (Maybe start with twins?)

I think I will just practice reloads without buying the belt.

Maybe I can just practice pulling from my pants or some other item I have here.

Yup on the 15th. Dummy shells are a great way to practice

I have to see what my wife's flu clinic schedule looks like moving forward to see if I can come that day. Thank you for making an offer an attempt to show me action shooting sports.

most who have gone to just watch a match were pretty disappointed they didn't bring their guns and gear and actually shoot it.

for starters i'd recommend just doing a "one gun" match - uspsa, idpa, steel challenge, various falling steel matches. bring what you got and i can't imagine you won't be able to shoot it even if for no score. steel challenge is an excellent first match, basically no movement or reloading on the clock, just shoot five steel's and repeat 4 times, then repeat this on 4-7 additional stages.

to answer your question, if you want to watch a match yes the places and matches i mentioned will let you see first hand what gear is needed and how the matches run.

Thanks, yeah I would like to see what is what before I jump right in, maybe.

So since I brought up dummy rounds, what are your guys opinions on dry firing with them?

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    I think I will just practice reloads without buying the belt.

Maybe I can just practice pulling from my pants or some other item I have here.

I have to see what my wife's flu clinic schedule looks like moving forward to see if I can come that day. Thank you for making an offer an attempt to show me action shooting sports.

Thanks, yeah I would like to see what is what before I jump right in, maybe.

So since I brought up dummy rounds, what are your guys opinions on dry firing with them?

I do it a lot. Work on malfunction clearing. Dry fire, run through mag change, load and repeat. Same with shot gun. Practice the dry fire, rack have bolt lock open. Pull from the match saver or whatever your loading means are, drop bolt flip gun and load duals.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    Hey guys, I too am newly venturing into the 3-gun world and need a recommendation for a good gunsmith who can open the loading port on my Benelli M2... Although I know I can do myself, I'd rather find a gunsmith who's done this a number of times and knows exactly how much to take off and where.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Hey guys, I too am newly venturing into the 3-gun world and need a recommendation for a good gunsmith who can open the loading port on my Benelli M2... Although I know I can do myself, I'd rather find a gunsmith who's done this a number of times and knows exactly how much to take off and where.
    Where are you located?

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    Where are you located?

North of Baltimore but willing to go elsewhere...

Let me add, my preference is to find a smith closely engaged in the 3-gun world whos completed for a number of folks. I have a friend reading out in the York County PA 3-gun community to see if they have recommendations..

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Quick question, I let my AGC membership lapse for this year. Can I still maybe show up and shoot / try shotgun? I did get my holster cert last year.

If you are referring to next Thursday evenings Action Shooting Shotgun event under the lights, then yes that is open to the public. We do ask for a $5 donation from all participants to help cover the cost of consumables.

SW6906user

Hey all,

I just wanted to send a quick shoutout MEGARMS. I showed up last night, he introduced to his shotty and another member helped with the proper shot shells and I had a blast.

Side note - since I don't own a SA shotgun I bought my SBS 870 and boy is it not the proper utensil for that sort of action (which I knew) but I had a good time anyway and now I have a better reason (as far as the wife is concerned) to fill the safe with another item. :thumbsup:

(to the member who gave me shells - I think you mentioned you re-load, if you need/want about 300 once fired 9mm brass let me know)

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Hey all,

I just wanted to send a quick shoutout MEGARMS. I showed up last night, he introduced to his shotty and another member helped with the proper shot shells and I had a blast.

Side note - since I don't own a SA shotgun I bought my SBS 870 and boy is it not the proper utensil for that sort of action (which I knew) but I had a good time anyway and now I have a better reason (as far as the wife is concerned) to fill the safe with another item. :thumbsup:

(to the member who gave me shells - I think you mentioned you re-load, if you need/want about 300 once fired 9mm brass let me know)

Thank you for coming. I hope you learned some things and enjoyed yourself. Kirkster was the fellow who gave you the shells.

Kirkster

Jan 9, 2009
    Severn, PRoMD
    Hey all,

Glad you had fun. A few boxes of shells is a good way to help introduce you to the action shooting world. We would not have let you leave without getting to shoot. If you are coming out to any of the next matches feel free to bring the brass...

K

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    Hey all,

https://atlanticfirearms.com/products/black-aces-pro-series-s-max-shotgun-smax-702706998680

budget friendly?

I saw that and thought if I was buying a SA shotgun this might be it.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    https://atlanticfirearms.com/products/black-aces-pro-series-s-max-shotgun-smax-702706998680

budget friendly?

I saw that and thought if I was buying a SA shotgun this might be it.

I totally understand the urge to be budget friendly when starting out. That said, a $400 shotgun just is not going to work for and you WILL end up regretting it. This is a fact and not my opinion. Personally, I subscribe to the buy once / cry one theory when it comes to firearms, but it is understood that not everyone is able to do that, nor do they want to when first starting out.

That said, if you want to be budget friendly and still have a functioning shotgun, then shop for an Stoeger M3K

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom