• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I found this big fungus growing on an old moss-covered tree stump in my yard a couple of days ago. It caught my attention because a guy at our local animal shelter had one that looked like it and twice its size he was going to take home and eat.

After some research it looks like a Laetiporus variety of some kind to me. I'm not brave enough to eat it, but I do have my daughter and some grand kids convinced they'll be served breaded COTW strips next time they visit... Geez, "It tastes just like chicken!" :lol2:

So, you fungi experts, what is it other than a Hooligan Shoot target?

:shrug:

That is a past its prime Chicken Of The Woods/Sulfur Shelf/Chicken Mushroom. I would pass on that one.
    Personally, I stick with the ones that have vibrant yellow and orange colors. That is a good sign they just popped up. (Magnumst's post #66) The interesting thing about these is they go from non existent to 5+ pounds overnight. To say they grow fast is an understatement.

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    Found this big girl in the yard today and am not sure what it is. Thinking maybe Black Staining Polypore? Edible?
    a0063df6acc563d9282e7026261688ad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    Is that a bad thing? :lol2:

Hah! I see videos of kids after tooth extractions and the kids are out of their minds...on laughing gas I believe. I can't imagine what a person would think was going on if they ate some of the trippy mushrooms by mistake especially if they are non drinkers and innocent to other mind altering substances.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Here's one that popped up under one of our pine trees in less than 24 hours. Pretty, but poisonous for humans. Interestingly: I've come out at night and seen half a dozen crickets munching away on these.

Attachments

• shroom_1.jpg
      shroom_1.jpg
      151.5 KB · Views: 264
    • shroom_2.jpg
      shroom_2.jpg
      100.4 KB · Views: 264

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Is that a bad thing? :lol2:

As kind of a side story; I always considered "shroom" to be the druggy term for Psilocybin mushroom. One night we were all at a restaurant and the assistant waiter (sort of a bus boy) brought up a plate and asked "who had the shrooms?" and I almost spat out my beer.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I think we found a bunch of giant polypore at my fiance's house.Thats what Reddit says.The only mushroom that I know for sure is a morel,so....not going to eat it.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Been letting this guy go to see how big it gets.

Attachments

• C5D10B00-21A1-472B-B618-EC1D626A6428.jpg
      C5D10B00-21A1-472B-B618-EC1D626A6428.jpg
      171.2 KB · Views: 179

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I've literally never seen wild mushroms in person. I'm definitely never going to see them down here, lol.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    I "think" chicken o' the woods... am I right or will I poison the family if I cut it n take it home?

Attachments

• 20201006_083103.jpg
      20201006_083103.jpg
      186.1 KB · Views: 240

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom