• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    What is pupose of weapon? Just plinking...22. If self defense, well it will get job done if accurate shot but most would agree better options. Some good 9' s in terms of recoil if that is concern.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Self defense and range fun.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    Judah7. Where are you located? Take her to a range that rents small framed guns. I was at continental today and they had a lot more small guns. Have her try them. My wife got to shoot a g43, thank to a gentleman next lane over. I think he wanted to make sure the sights were right. Keltec pmr30 is a good option.

I'm in Upper Marlboro, I do want her to try the glock 380 before a final decision is made. We'll see Thursday.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    I'm in Upper Marlboro, I do want her to try the glock 380 before a final decision is made. We'll see Thursday.
    So I admittedly have meat hooks for hands, but I didn't see much difference in Glock 42 verse 43. The double recoil spring works well in both those guns. I liked the 43 a bit more but that is personal preference thing.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I go back to .380. Center fire, more ammo options. My wife has always shot 9mm. She is willing to try anything. At the range today, she shot more than me! Although she didn't try .357.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    A revolver in 22wmr would be a good choice. The point about failure with 22lr in a SA is valid.

The Ruger sr22 is what she shot and liked, it didn't have any malfunctions when we used it but that was only 50 rounds so I dont know.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    I go back to .380. Center fire, more ammo options. My wife has always shot 9mm. She is willing to try anything. At the range today, she shot more than me! Although she didn't try .357.

Lol lucky you, mines shot the 22, 9, 40, 45 and like everytime she shot she jumped at the boom outside of that damn 22. That's the only reason I was going to over ride the 22 because I feel like once she gets used to the boom she'll be just fine.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    If she wants a .22 get a .22 target pistol. Like a Ruger MK series or a Buckmark. They are more reliable and feel more like real guns.

Another option is to get her a Glock, CZ or SIG in 9mm. Then get the .22 conversion for it. That way when she feels like stepping up, it will be with the same platform.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    When I was 18 in 2010 I lucked into a Marlin 60 and about 5,000 rounds of .22 for a total investment of $250. Spent a lot of weekends with buddies plinking and at the end of it I could keep a Food Lion brand 2 liter soda bottle in the air for 10 shots. (First shot launched it the rest kept it moving). I could do this repeatedly on demand. I know theres a few cellphone videos rolling around.

Bottom line is when I was 18 that Marlin 60 was my HD gun for 6 months. I chose it over a Mosin 91/30* and a Mossberg 12 gauge (I'd heard horror stories of 12 gauge recoil from duck hunters.......I know better now)
    If you practice with it and shoot it well, caliber makes about as much difference as what socks you're wearing.
    Get her some good training, a bunch of ammo and send her on her way.

* I kind of wanted to use the Mosin just so I could bayonet someone from the comfort of my bed.

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    If she wants a .22 get a .22 target pistol. Like a Ruger MK series or a Buckmark. They are more reliable and feel more like real guns.

Another option is to get her a Glock, CZ or SIG in 9mm. Then get the .22 conversion for it. That way when she feels like stepping up, it will be with the same platform.

Only if she is comfortable with how it fits her hands. Otherwise a .22/9 mm conversion seems like a good option.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    I'm going to agree with the "git er a .22" crowd. If your wife has found a gun that SHE likes to shoot then buy it for her. She will think of it as HERS and take it shooting way more often then a gun her husband told her she should get. Be very happy she wants to shoot something and as time goes on she may find something in a larger caliber that she enjoys also. If the noise of the larger calibers is a problem then maybe more hearing protection? Ear plugs underneath of ear muffs is a possibility to cut down on noise.

cb51

If you practice with it and shoot it well, caliber makes about as much difference as what socks you're wearing.
    Get her some good training, a bunch of ammo and send her on her way.

Absolutely true statement!

I've seen two shootings that took place with a .22. In both cases the people shot went down, and hostilities ceased immediately. In one case, the knife wielding attacker hit in the stomach, died on scene curled up in a tight fetal position while screaming that his guts were on fire, and went unconscious in a short while and was dead when the EMT's got there. In the other case, of the two attackers, the one hit high in the right shoulder was staggering off down the street trying to escape and was caught by the police when they came, the other hit in the stomach doubled over and went down, and was vommiting up blood and was semi conscious when the EMT's got there and needed 5 hours of emergency surgery to pull though.

A .38 or 9mm would not have worked any better. In both cases the attack stopped immediately. Get your wife whatever .22 she likes.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    my wife chose the 22...
    should I just over ride what she's comfortable with and get her a 9mm or just buy the fricking 22LR pistol?

How long have you been married?
    There's only one answer and it rhymes with twenty shoe.
    Enjoy shooting with your wife. If she moves up, she moves up.
    If not, she knows how to shoot a .22 and will be able to defend herself just fine with it.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    Lol I wasn't trying to force no large calibers upon her, just wanted her to have a sufficient amount of power in the 9mm. If she doesn't like the 380 then 22 it is unfortunately.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Let her get the SR22 for starters. It's a great trainer, because unlike the target .22's, it has all the same controls as a full caliber double action semiautomatic. When she's ready to move up, she'll already have the fundamentals.

In the meantime, hitting an attacker with a .22 that she's practiced with should be more effective than missing them with a 9mm that she's afraid to train with.

And...if you've only been using indoor ranges, get her shooting outside ASAP. That 9 outside may feel about as offensive as a 22 inside.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    Let her get the SR22 for starters. It's a great trainer, because unlike the target .22's, it has all the same controls as a full caliber double action semiautomatic. When she's ready to move up, she'll already have the fundamentals.

In the meantime, hitting an attacker with a .22 that she's practiced with should be more effective than missing them with a 9mm that she's afraid to train with.

And...if you've only been using indoor ranges, get her shooting outside ASAP. That 9 outside may feel about as offensive as a 22 inside.

I really haven't heard of any outdoor ranges that's near me unfortunately. I would love to be able to shoot outside on the regular, and I'm almost sure the noise from shooting indoors is contributing to her jumping.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Let her start with a 22.. nothing wrong with that, the chance that she will actually have to ever shoot someone are slim to none and she will enjoy shooting more. Isn't that the ultimate goal?

A couple of well placed 22 rounds will slow down an attacker significantly. I sometimes carry a 9 shot 22 revolver, wouldn't hesitate to empty it on a threat and I'm sure it would incapacitate them, eventually.

Once she starts to get cocky, let her shoot your 9 for a while and see if she can get used to it. ;)

Find a range close by that is outdoors. I hate shooting indoors and I have shot guns for longer than I care to say... lol

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    Just another reason for me to be iffy on the 22, I'll have to look around and see if there are some reliable 22 semi automatics since the revolver isn't a option in this case.

My wife has been shooting a Ruger SR-22 for several years. All kinds of ammo and never a problem. Not the easiest to clean though.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    Let her start with a 22.. nothing wrong with that, the chance that she will actually have to ever shoot someone are slim to none and she will enjoy shooting more. Isn't that the ultimate goal?

A couple of well placed 22 rounds will slow down an attacker significantly. I sometimes carry a 9 shot 22 revolver, wouldn't hesitate to empty it on a threat and I'm sure it would incapacitate them, eventually.

Once she starts to get cocky, let her shoot your 9 for a while and see if she can get used to it. ;)

Find a range close by that is outdoors. I hate shooting indoors and I have shot guns for longer than I care to say... lol

Yeah that's almost the goal. She came to me with interest in learning guns and to shoot, so I know she enjoys it. She just so happen to pick the unexpected 22 of all calibers and it through me off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom