• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    So after a couple days of carrying an OTF, the biggest question I have is, why? Other than the coolness factor and impressing your friends, it seems to me that a traditional folding knife is superior in every way.

Traditional folders are more durable because they don't have the extra parts, especially more durable than an OTF. And if you're the type that worries about the deployment speed, I still think traditional is faster. When you take it out of your pocket you have to find the button or lever and press it. With a traditional folder, even if you miss the thumb stud or the hole, centrifugal force is usually enough to get it open in a hurry. Not so with an auto.

So it seems to me that traditional folders are superior other than the coolness factor. Now granted this is from carrying an OTF. I may feel differently carrying a different type of auto with a more traditional deployment and a button. Like a microtech LUDT. The OTF mechanism also requires a blade geometry that just isn't as useful. I like something with some belly.

I'll have to get an LUDT.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    So after a couple days of carrying an OTF, the biggest question I have is, why? Other than the coolness factor and impressing your friends, it seems to me that a traditional folding knife is superior in every way.

Traditional folders are more durable because they don't have the extra parts, especially more durable than an OTF. And if you're the type that worries about the deployment speed, I still think traditional is faster. When you take it out of your pocket you have to find the button or lever and press it. With a traditional folder, even if you miss the thumb stud or the hole, centrifugal force is usually enough to get it open in a hurry. Not so with an auto.

So it seems to me that traditional folders are superior other than the coolness factor. Now granted this is from carrying an OTF. I may feel differently carrying a different type of auto with a more traditional deployment and a button. Like a microtech LUDT. The OTF mechanism also requires a blade geometry that just isn't as useful. I like something with some belly.

no clue about the OTFs, but I occasionally carry a Boker auto that I like very much. release button falls easily to my finger. that said, most of the time I carry either assisted opening or Benchmade axis locks, both of which deploy easily one handed and as quick as I would ever need. I do think the OTFs are cool tho but will prolly never own one.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Any knife with an Emerson Wave opener is legal, and quicker than pushing a button. Knife is open as soon as it leaves your pocket.

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011

The biggest advantage and OTF knife has over any folding traditional knife is the safeness of the lock, if the traditional has one. With an OTF if the lock fails the user doesn't go home with stitches. Also, while many manufacturers make impractical blade profiles for their OTF offerings, there are models offered with drop point blades designed for utility. As I'm sure you know, the OTF knives of today are nothing like the cheap NATO OTF knives of the 70's and 80's. The build quality and robustness of today's knives are light years ahead of the auto knifes of the past.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I use knives daily for cutting anything and find the OTF dainty for my use however, some are pretty enough to easily cut a small notch ... out of ones man card lol, no offense meant. FYI, I ran across dbl action OTFs on Amazon and all under $50, SS blades, no questions asked, no! Currently cannot find an auto, full size, non-metal handle I like/trust, as a tool.

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011
    I use knives daily for cutting anything and find the OTF dainty for my use however, some are pretty enough to easily cut a small notch ... out of ones man card lol, no offense meant. FYI, I ran across dbl action OTFs on Amazon and all under $50, SS blades, no questions asked, no! Currently cannot find an auto, full size, non-metal handle I like/trust, as a tool.

Stop looking at shitty China made auto knives and purchase a quality American produced knife. Microtech, Spyderco, Protech, Guardian Tactical, Paragon, Hogue, Piranha, Heretic, Gerber, Buck, Benchmade (reluctantly added), and Dalton are just some of the US manufacturers that make quality auto knives. You're not going to find a knife with good blade steel for $50. :)

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Stop looking at shitty China made auto knives and purchase a quality American produced knife. Microtech, Spyderco, Protech, Guardian Tactical, Paragon, Hogue, Piranha, Heretic, Gerber, Buck, Benchmade (reluctantly added), and Dalton are just some of the US manufacturers that make quality auto knives. You're not going to find a knife with good blade steel for $50. :)

Amazon availability was in relation to the OPs question and previous conversation.

Good luck OP.

Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Here’s where I’ve been getting my auto from, the house brand seems to be well built so far.

https://www.vipertecknives.com/

They look like cheap copies of microtech.

Personally, I would rather pay a little more for better quality and not Chinese made.

Have you considered the Kershaw Launch series? the launch 1 is a very handsome knife that works well with Aluminum instead of Zinc handles and 154cm steel instead of 440 blade

sleepingdino

Mar 13, 2013
    People's Republic of Mont Co
    a99ec2782fc16545a4177c08a70fde76.jpg

Get a man’s knife. Heretic AdV Butcher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    a99ec2782fc16545a4177c08a70fde76.jpg

Get a man’s knife. Heretic AdV Butcher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wow, that's a beast!
    It has the steel I am liking Crucible S35VN, but I prefer a pointier poker. Very close to pulling the trigger on a Pro-Tech TR-5 like this. I broke a tip on an AUS8 yesterday so I'm hoping this is the steel for me.

IMG_2379.jpg

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011
    Wow, that's a beast!
    It has the steel I am liking Crucible S35VN, but I prefer a pointier poker. Very close to pulling the trigger on a Pro-Tech TR-5 like this. I broke a tip on an AUS8 yesterday so I'm hoping this is the steel for me.

IMG_2379.jpg

Can't go wrong with Protech. :thumbsup:

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Mine came last night. I need to keep the pocket clip from catching on things as I walk by, sticks out a good bit.
    6315c9b4c8f689041cd66292cc7c38c5.jpg

I was just reading through a thread about crazy horse people and stumble on this..
    Nice knife and a great photo of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom