• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HokieKev

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Hello,

I just realized that my VA Nonresident CWP has expired and I mailed the VA State Police to send me the Renewal Packet. I was surprised to learn that I have to do the finger prints again.

I am in Montgomery County; where is the closest least hassle place that I can get a new set of fingerprints?

BTW, the Utah renewal was much easier. Just send them a recent "passport photo" and a check for $25 and you are good to go. Not sure why VA requires yet another set of finger prints - I don't think my finger prints changed since the last time! LOL

Also, I need to check the CCW coverage map. I still have valid Utah and Florida CCW permits. Can't recall if that covers VA or not.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Hello,

I just realized that my VA Nonresident CWP has expired and I mailed the VA State Police to send me the Renewal Packet. I was surprised to learn that I have to do the finger prints again.

I am in Montgomery County; where is the closest least hassle place that I can get a new set of fingerprints?

BTW, the Utah renewal was much easier. Just send them a recent "passport photo" and a check for $25 and you are good to go. Not sure why VA requires yet another set of finger prints - I don't think my finger prints changed since the last time! LOL

Also, I need to check the CCW coverage map. I still have valid Utah and Florida CCW permits. Can't recall if that covers VA or not.

VA honors all other permits.

And in the past year or so the VSP have gotten stupid with regards to getting out NR permits. Take the C Note that you were going to spend and contribute it to MSI.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    VA has tried to go the way of PA. If Bloomberg has his way, they will try again. There is a bill on the VA gov desk to force the VA State Police to process NR permits in 90 days. Not sure he'll sign it. The govs office is responsible for the NR permit slowdown in the first place. According to rumor of course.

Given the attempted shennannigans in VA I would get the VA NR anyway as a backup. As soon as the AG and the gov wipe off their blackface they will get up the nerve to try again to restrict NR permits.

I am not sure where to get (ink) fingerprints on MoCo tho. I think Frederick Sheriff still does them, and if you were near UMBC I'd suggest that.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I have Utah but with the GFZ laws, I decided to get a VA NR for just in case. GFZ laws do not apply to VA CCW Resident or Non Resident. And depending on where you are in VA it is like Columbia MD where it seems some sort of GFZ is every 1/4 mile.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Hello,

Its getting harder to find "ink" prints. When I did my VANR a couple years ago, I had Annapolis Police (station near stadium) do mine. They offered one evening a week for getting them done. Call to confirm before you make the trip.

I also suspect that you could get them done at a Virginia police station. You might try calling and see what VA stations offer the service. As a Hokie, I presume you travel into VA on a regular basis.

Good luck.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You don't need ink prints.

The prints can be taken electronically, and printed on the cards.

The instructions that come with the print card state this.

Some MVAs in MD have an MSP fingerprint place in them. They are listed on the fingerprint page for various uses on the MSP site.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County

Some MVAs in MD have an MSP fingerprint place in them. They are listed on the fingerprint page for various uses on the MSP site.

That may be true now, but the instructions that came with my renewal cards explicitly said "rolled ink". I questioned it at the time and was told that "scanned and printed" prints were not acceptable. If VA has caught up with the rest of the world, that is great news. So OP, what do the instructions ask for?

HokieKev

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    That may be true now, but the instructions that came with my renewal cards explicitly said "rolled ink". I questioned it at the time and was told that "scanned and printed" prints were not acceptable. If VA has caught up with the rest of the world, that is great news. So OP, what do the instructions ask for?

I sent an e-mail to the address on the CWP Renewal Website and they said that my "Renewal Packet" would arrive within 30 days - speedy, eh? I guess I will have to wait a bit to see what the exact instructions are in the packet. When I find out I will post back.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013

Good point!

The Virginia statute governing the issuance of Nonresident Concealed Handgun Permits requires the fingerprint impressions be obtained by a law enforcement agency. Prints obtained by a private company acting as an agent of a law enforcement agency are acceptable. Prints obtained electronically must be copied onto an Applicant Fingerprint Card FD-258; electronic submission is not available.
    http://www.vsp.virginia.gov/Firearms_NonresidentConcealed.shtm

Says so right there, electronic ok.

Also: dont really need to wait for the packet i think. You can just download the application from the web site. The checklist is here, also online:
    http://www.vsp.virginia.gov/downloads/firearms/NCHP Checklist-Revised August 2017.pdf.

The only thing your really need in the packet is the fingerprint cards FD-258, but i think you can get those where you have prints done.

Jan 28, 2019
    I have Utah but with the GFZ laws, I decided to get a VA NR for just in case. GFZ laws do not apply to VA CCW Resident or Non Resident. And depending on where you are in VA it is like Columbia MD where it seems some sort of GFZ is every 1/4 mile.

While I certainly believe the GFZ restrictions placed upon non-resident permits is true, I'm having a tough time finding that online. Your comment actually spurred me to send in my application for a VANR permit as well.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA

While I certainly believe the GFZ restrictions placed upon non-resident permits is true, I'm having a tough time finding that online. Your comment actually spurred me to send in my application for a VANR permit as well.

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/18.2-308.1/

As far as I'm aware, your permit need not be a VA permit, just a valid permit recognized by VA.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Also: don't really need to wait for the packet i think. You can just download the application from the web site. The checklist is here, also online:

The only thing your really need in the packet is the fingerprint cards FD-258, but i think you can get those where you have prints done.

You do need to wait for the packet. You must use the fingerprint card provided by the VSP.

I just sent in my VA renewal yesterday. The checklist that is included in the application packet specifically states that electronic prints taken by an agent for law enforcement and printed on the VA Print card ARE ACCEPTABLE.

This means any vendor in MD who can submit prints to MD CJIS is acceptable.

http://www.vsp.virginia.gov/Firearms_NonresidentConcealed.shtm#Fingerprint_Based_Criminal_History

I used American Identity Solutions in Germantown. They have branches in SS, Bethesda and Rockville.

Attached is the checklist sent with the app packet.

As Stove mentioned, VA has accepted all other states' permits since July 1, 2016

VA has tried to go the way of PA. If Bloomberg has his way, they will try again. There is a bill on the VA gov desk to force the VA State Police to process NR permits in 90 days. Not sure he'll sign it. The govs office is responsible for the NR permit slowdown in the first place. According to rumor of course.

Given the attempted shennannigans in VA I would get the VA NR anyway as a backup. As soon as the AG and the gov wipe off their blackface they will get up the nerve to try again to restrict NR permits.

I am not sure where to get (ink) fingerprints on MoCo tho. I think Frederick Sheriff still does them, and if you were near UMBC I'd suggest that.

Again, you don't need ink prints.

Attachments

• va prints.JPG
      va prints.JPG
      141.8 KB · Views: 127
    • ccw2.JPG
      ccw2.JPG
      99.9 KB · Views: 126

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    You do need to wait for the packet. You must use the fingerprint card provided by the VSP.

I just sent in my VA renewal yesterday. The checklist that is included in the application packet specifically states that electronic prints taken by an agent for law enforcement and printed on the VA Print card ARE ACCEPTABLE.

right, don't need ink, as it says on the checklist and the website.

For the FD-258 print card, do you really need this from the packet? It looked to me like a standard FBI print card (same as you get for Utah or Florida or for anything else), with the address stamped in the "ORI" field. I cant recall the stamp, but it seemed to me to just have the same address as where you mail the application. Can you just get the card (assuming you need the VA stamp, and cannot write it in)?

Other than the print card, everything else is online. Can one pick up a card somewhere in VA? What do private companies do, do they have stash of cards with the stamp? IIRC my packet took way more than 30 days to come in the mail.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The VA print card contains the VSP ORI code that is needed by the FBI to process the prints. A plain card will not work because the ORI code is not published anywhere.

No, VSP says use their card for this reason and there was some other info stamped on the card.

I emailed the request for my renewal packet and it was in my mailbox in 3 days.

The delay is them processing the application, not getting the blank forms and card

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Good to hear that scanned and printed works now. Big improvement.

As to the card, I remember something pre-printed (maybe ink stamped) on the back of the supplied cards.

EDIT Swino' beat me! :D

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    VSP requests but does not mandate that the print vendor stamp their name and address on the rear of the card.

But not mandatory. I asked my vendor to do it which they did.

Last edited:

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    The other info on the card was something about putting the name/address/phone on the back of the agency taking the prints to help them validate prints.

My packet took a long time. but then, been a quite while and I might have got caught up in the nonsense when they were trying to remove reciprocity for NR permits from other states.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The VSP card also has a small stamp next to the area of the sig of the person taking the prints to put their phone number next to their signature. A plain card obtained elsewhere does not have that small stamp

A phone number is requiredby VSP, not optional.

A plain card could easily be submitted without the mandatory phone number and cause the entire app to be returned

The requested vendor info on the back is optional.

The person taking the prints phone number on the front under the little added stamp is NOT

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom