• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Because it clearly states in Maryland state law (not an opinion by anyone) that it must be dated withing 2 years of the application. No vagueness at all when it is clearly written in law, and if your instructor doesn't know that, then perhaps you might want to look for a new instructor?

Please understand I'm not disagreeing with you! Just reporting my experience in trying to be clear on the topic, and how easily the low-hanging-fruit of that info can lead an intelligent, web-savvy, cynical, skeptical resident of Maryland to none the less end up with bad info. I'm beginning to realize how common a problem that is, when the MSP's various public faces are the main sources for most of that (since few people head off to read the actual law, assuming their certified instructors and the Trooper they talked to had it right). Yes, this drives me to much more support for several of the bills introduced the other day - the ones aimed at simply freeing us all from the tangled, capricious mess that MD hands us in this regard. Thanks for making me do an end-around the usual sources, and actually read the law.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Please understand I'm not disagreeing with you! Just reporting my experience in trying to be clear on the topic, and how easily the low-hanging-fruit of that info can lead an intelligent, web-savvy, cynical, skeptical resident of Maryland to none the less end up with bad info. I'm beginning to realize how common a problem that is, when the MSP's various public faces are the main sources for most of that (since few people head off to read the actual law, assuming their certified instructors and the Trooper they talked to had it right). Yes, this drives me to much more support for several of the bills introduced the other day - the ones aimed at simply freeing us all from the tangled, capricious mess that MD hands us in this regard. Thanks for making me do an end-around the usual sources, and actually read the law.

I never took it as a disagreement, just that you had an idiot for an instructor.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I took my training from Fortress Training by John Finnessy, he does them on western shore, & eastern shore (Eason/cambridge/salisbury)
    Took mine in Cambridge.
    They have a VIP available where they help with the entire process, including helping with your G&S
    I was approved first time.
    Got my W&C in October.

He may not be doing it any longer after this case goes to court. Seems he didn't know the law about taking a firearm through airport screening.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 10.46.10 AM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 10.46.10 AM.jpg
      48.6 KB · Views: 158

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    Of course there is. But if the state had "the rest of the story"(in his benefit) it wouldn't even get to a trial.

There have been multiple example of MSP having the rest of the story and still pushing the issue anyway. In one example MSP kept pushing it untill they dropped all charges 1 day before the trial.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    There have been multiple example of MSP having the rest of the story and still pushing the issue anyway. In one example MSP kept pushing it untill they dropped all charges 1 day before the trial.
    This has nothing to do with MSP. It's MTAP Maryland Transportation Authority Police. At the airport. I cannot remember the last time, if at all, about a case like this going to trial. They've all been fines issued from TSA.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    He may not be doing it any longer after this case goes to court. Seems he didn't know the law about taking a firearm through airport screening.

I know this guy. Well. Believe me when I say that he does know the law and that there is more to the story. I'm not going to go into details in public.

Interesting on the first charge, he had a carry permit, now yanked by MSP, and was within his restrictions when this went down.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I know this guy. Well. Believe me when I say that he does know the law and that there is more to the story. I'm not going to go into details in public.

Interesting on the first charge, he had a carry permit, now yanked by MSP, and was within his restrictions when this went down.
    Going into a screening checkpoint is within restrictions? Sure. :/

Marshmallow

Feb 4, 2012
    " ..... and the forbearance of reptiles."

Good luck Marshmallow!

Thanks. Been getting my paperwork together, including the charter boat association drug card showing that I’m randomly screened for drug use. Been in contact with more and more folks who have experience with the process and I don’t see myself having any issues. I’ll keep this updated as much as I can throughout.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Thanks. Been getting my paperwork together, including the charter boat association drug card showing that I’m randomly screened for drug use. Been in contact with more and more folks who have experience with the process and I don’t see myself having any issues. I’ll keep this updated as much as I can throughout.

They don't need to see your drug screening card. Don't voluntarily give them something to look for/at.

Marshmallow

Feb 4, 2012
    They don't need to see your drug screening card. Don't voluntarily give them something to look for/at.
    I was told to include it. I originally thought of not giving more than they need. But from what I understand, charter boats have a history of being a form of G&S. I have a lot of things in my favor, and they have instructed me on what to include, and what not to.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I was told to include it. I originally thought of not giving more than they need. But from what I understand, charter boats have a history of being a form of G&S. I have a lot of things in my favor, and they have instructed me on what to include, and what not to.

Ask them where in statute or their own SOP a charter boat drug test card is required.

Marshmallow

Feb 4, 2012
    Ask them where in statute or their own SOP a charter boat drug test card is required.
    Well it’s the only proof that I do work on charter boats, it’s a primarily cash business, and there’s no tax proof that I’m on them. If I owned the charter, I would just show cash/check deposits. I’m going on what I’m being told by the folks assisting me in this process. They have a proven track record of success. If they tell me to include it, I will include it.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Beating a dead horse, I'm sure. Everyone's scenario is different, so I'm looking for your opinions.

I'm a business owner, make regular check and some cash deposits. Nothing in my background to question. What are my odds? Would it help if I had a wear and carry class backing? Firearms training classes help?

I know this is all speculation and its case to case.

Well it’s the only proof that I do work on charter boats, it’s a primarily cash business, and there’s no tax proof that I’m on them. If I owned the charter, I would just show cash/check deposits. I’m going on what I’m being told by the folks assisting me in this process. They have a proven track record of success. If they tell me to include it, I will include it.

:shrug:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    So a third party is telling you to include it in hope of giving you a better chance? How about maybe you hand it over to the MSP if they ask for it first? Why just willy nilly hand out personal testing info if you don't have to?

If you get denied, I'm pretty sure it's not going to be because they didn't see your piss test results.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    The guy we charter in Tilghman for sea ducks and rock fish has a carry permit based on his business. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom