• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • virtus

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2010
    Just so happens that I got a crazy deal on a bunch of steel AK mags. Now I need a gun to use them....

I'd like to get something similar to the pictured (right) with railed/MLOK handguards to set it up like my ARs...guess I could add those later. Longest barrel possible if a pistol? I've seen a few 12" models listed online but most are shorter. I'm guessing 14.5" is not a thing in the AK world? My research says Krebs are overrated. I thought those were the gold standard. Really sounds like there is a ton of junk on the AK market. Where should I look?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190818-031903~2.jpg
      Screenshot_20190818-031903~2.jpg
      101.1 KB · Views: 6,449

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Galil ACE 7.62x39 would be my choice, but it's not traditional. Arsenal does have pistol imports you could use. If price is not an object, Rifle Dynamics has the RD704P that is pretty excellent.

IX-3

Aug 21, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    The problem is most 7.62x39 rifles that look like AK’s are banned. M+M, CMMG, PTR, and Palmetto all make rifles that take AK magazines but they’re basically a combination of AR and AK or HK and AK with the PTR.

Arsenal’s pistols won’t work assuming you want to actually SBR it because the rifles are banned and the ATF will disapprove it. Same with the Century C39V2 pistols, I found that out the hard way.

Century has the 12.5” barreled Draco pistol that should still be able to be made into a SBR unless someone has tried making one recently and been disapproved.

sasd18

Oct 29, 2017
    I’ve never heard a bad thing about a Galil Pistol. I know 2 people that have them personally who love them.

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    Galil ACE 7.62x39 would be my choice, but it's not traditional. Arsenal does have pistol imports you could use. If price is not an object, Rifle Dynamics has the RD704P that is pretty excellent.

The Galil ACE is on the MD banned list. Which is confusing because Atlantic Firearms has them in stock and designated as MD compliant. Will be hard to find an FFL willing to do the transfer.

Having said that, there are two easy modifications that you can make to make the Galil that makes it more traditional.

Option 1 - Remove the polymer lower and add the traditional Galil Trigger guard, trigger guard post and pistol grip (see image)

or

Option 2 - cut down the lower polymer housing (see image)

Attachments

• Galil 2.jpg
      Galil 2.jpg
      33.9 KB · Views: 3,877
    • Galil 1.jpg
      Galil 1.jpg
      208.8 KB · Views: 4,687

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    The Galil ACE is on the MD banned list. Which is confusing because Atlantic Firearms has them in stock and designated as MD compliant. Will be hard to find an FFL willing to do the transfer.

Having said that, there are two easy modifications that you can make to make the Galil that makes it more traditional.

Option 1 - Remove the polymer lower and add the traditional Galil Trigger guard, trigger guard post and pistol grip (see image)

or

Option 2 - cut down the lower polymer housing (see image)

Only banned because it comes stock with a flash hider and folding stock, which is two no no features.

Sirex