• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    While I have a $1k Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24x on my .308 LR gun, my 6.8 AR gets along fine with a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 (also available in a 50mm) that I got on sale at Midway for $299. Nice thing about that Vortex line is the reticle is good at 20x.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    find a used Viper PST in your choice of MOA or MIL. I have several PSTs and I like them. Not as clear as my Zeiss glass but on a "user" gun for beating around in varmint fields, they are more than adequate.

ARMatt

Apr 12, 2016
    NAS Pax River
    16 power is way to much for 100yds even more is overkill. If it's for target shooting I understand ,but not for general purpose. The higher quality of glass will seem like higher magnification due to the clarity of it.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    My HST 6-24 went with me to Africa and did very well. When I got home I bought the PST 6-24 and a 20 moa base because I didn't have enough elevation with the HST setup for 1000yds and I didn't like that the mils were only accurate at 18X. The PST and base solved both those issues. I kept the HST on 18X for all my shots past 200yds and at 6X for everything closer. The tracking and everything was great but the FFP is worth it if you use mils and want them to be accurate on every magnification. For a hunting rifle the Vortex scopes are a good choice whichever way you go.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you can wait a bit, used Viper PSTs should be readily available, as the Gen 2 will be out and people will be upgrading.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I have Owned a Bunch of vortex(still have 2) and SWFA scopes( have 4), if you are just shooting 100 yards you can get away with a low end(200 or less) Vortex and they are great scopes and nice and clear.

Most folks get a scope that is 3-9, 4-12, etc. and when they get to the range they crank it up and thats where it stays, so lets be honest... 10 or 12 Power fixed will work just fine. If you want to step up to a scope that is a little nicer than the low end vortex and IMO as good as any of the high end Vortex scopes. SWFA is a great scope for the money. 299.00 fixed powers ( on sale right now i think 254.00) If you want a variable they have them too but expect to spend about 600.00 on it.

Also i have had a few Leupolds and I could never get the right eye relief with them. It just always seemed like i had more problems finding the sweet spot when shooting than any other scope but maybe that was me.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    I picked up an older Leupold M8 12x years ago. I use it for load development on my Remington 700 SA Match rifle.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    Thanks for the input everyone, I guess I'll wait a little longer to buy a scope. The scope I have now works great out to 100 it's just not the sharpest optic but it didn't cost me much. I've been spoiled with good friends and had the opportunity to shoot some rifles with great glass. Once I'm ready for so long distance shooting I'll pony up or when I break the Centerpoint.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Thanks for the input everyone, I guess I'll wait a little longer to buy a scope. The scope I have now works great out to 100 it's just not the sharpest optic but it didn't cost me much. I've been spoiled with good friends and had the opportunity to shoot some rifles with great glass. Once I'm ready for so long distance shooting I'll pony up or when I break the Centerpoint.

Keep us up on what you finally get B.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I am not a fan of BDC scopes for long range shooting.

You have to shoot the right load for the BDC to work properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom