• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I took the Marlin 1894 357mag to the range today and was shooting .38 reloads and having fun. Switched over to.357 mags and couldn't believe the difference in recoil. I've never thought the.357 had much recoil until today. I must be getting old. Still one of my favorite firearms.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I've actually never shot .357's through mine. Shooting 38's is amazingly quiet with minimal to no recoil. Its one of my favorite range toys. :thumbsup:

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Maybe it's related to how the rifle fits the individual. I have three levers in 357 (Winchester 1873 short rifle, Winchester 1892 carbine, and a Henry with a 16-inch barrel) as well as a Ruger 77/357. With all but the 1873, I've shot Underwood 357 rounds and felt that the recoil was minimal. Definitely more percussive sound than 38 Special, but nothing that moves the rifle much more than 223/5.56 out of an AR-15. On the other hand, shooting 38 Special is practically as gentle as 22LR out of a small lever.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I was lucky enough to get one of the first year of manufacture .357 Marlin lever guns. 1979 . I shouldn't say lucky cause I paid through the a$$ for it. Still,I'm glad I got it. Marlin started selling them again recently from what I hear.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    The funny thing is I've shot.357 out of this gun before and never noticed much recoil. Very strange. .357's were factory loads too.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Full power .44mag is a credible Rifle ctg . From a light weight lever action , it can potentially get your attention. ( In the past I have related a felt recoil comparison of buncha .44mag rifles , if relevant, I could recap .)

By comparison old school handloads from .357 lever only approach medium by worst case scenario, and .38spl is a pussycat .

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    As i recall, the Ruger 44 carbine I had would definately get your attention as well. Surprisingly it had quite a punch to it.

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    I’ve got a Rossi in 357/38 and the recoil isn’t too bad. My Marlin in 44 mag isn’t too bad either and my Rossi 454 Casull is about the same as the 44 mag. No if you want to feel some recoil, I can get my Winchester in 444 Marlin with no recoil pad on the stock and by 3-5 shots I’ll have a good size bruise on my shoulder! Talk about flinching! It’s probably the hardest recoil I’ve ever felt on my shoulder!

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    You mean the 10/22 on steroids? I had one one and really didnt enjoy shooting it. Way to much recoil for such a small package.

Yea, thats the one. I didn't shoot it a lot. I held on to it for years and finally sold it. It was not a fun gun to shoot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom