• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mjester93

Mar 28, 2017
    Southern Maryland
    Good morning, all.

I received a response from the Department of Public Safety & Correctional Services from a recent PIA request. Specifically, I asked the decisions of the Handgun Permit Review Board for the years of 2015 and 2016. See below for the statistics. Raw data have been removed.

Total
    2015: 68
    2016: 90

Modified
    2015: 10
    2016: 20

Overturns MSP
    2015: 9
    2016: 15

Pending:
    2015: 0
    2016: 16

Sustains MSP
    2015: 41
    2016: 35

Unknown:
    2015: 8
    2016: 4

Attachments

• Handgun Permit Review Board Decision Statistics.pdf
      175.3 KB · Views: 469
    Last edited:

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Ummm, I wonder if DPSC just violated MD Law by providing the names???

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Good morning, all.

I received a response from the Department of Public Safety & Correctional Services from a recent PIA request. Specifically, I asked the decisions of the Handgun Permit Review Board for the years of 2015 and 2016. See below for the statistics. Raw data is attached as well.

Total
    2015: 68
    2016: 90

Modified
    2015: 10
    2016: 20

Overturns MSP
    2015: 9
    2016: 15

Pending:
    2015: 0
    2016: 16

Sustains MSP
    2015: 41
    2016: 35

Unknown:
    2015: 8
    2016: 4

Good info OP, thanks. :thumbsup:

Since there is doubt, you might want to error on the side of caution and take down the actual document with list of names. I know several folks on that list, many more are familiar having listened too and discussed some of these 'cases' in the 2A community. Some of them have permits (or had restrictions lifted) because of the sensitive nature of their position/responsibility, or past duties. Several had closed hearings because they preferred to be non-public. Your call.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I think this is a VERY good idea. OP, please remove the .pdf's you received.

Yes, please do, as their release violates the letter of MD Code, General Provisions, § 4-325 (attached).

Attachments

• 4-325 Firearm and handgun records.pdf
      53.5 KB · Views: 237

Kaffakid

May 14, 2017
    DC
    Overturning denials 24% of the time for the past two years (total). I got denied yesterday and am appealing to the HPRB. That's discouraging.

Kaffakid

May 14, 2017
    DC
    Worse case you could appeal their decision to the Circuit Court.

That's another question I have. As a non-resident, in which Circuit Court would venue be appropriate?

For residents, it's their Circuit Court in their county of residence. For me, I'm not sure.

mjester93

Mar 28, 2017
    Southern Maryland
    That's another question I have. As a non-resident, in which Circuit Court would venue be appropriate?

For residents, it's their Circuit Court in their county of residence. For me, I'm not sure.

According to their website, "with the circuit court for the county where any party resides or has a principal place of business." I looked up some cases (I won't link because names) and I saw an out-of-state person file an appeal. (It was eventually dismissed.)

Kaffakid

May 14, 2017
    DC
    I looked up some cases (I won't link because names) and I saw an out-of-state person file an appeal. (It was eventually dismissed.)

I think there's one where the appellant was from PA and he appealed to Baltimore County.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Would this portion of the cited 4-325 relieve them of a violation?

Construction of section
    (c) This section may not be construed to prohibit the Department of State Police or the Department of Public Safety and
    Correctional Services from accessing firearm or handgun records in the performance of that department's official duty.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Would this portion of the cited 4-325 relieve them of a violation?

Construction of section
    (c) This section may not be construed to prohibit the Department of State Police or the Department of Public Safety and
    Correctional Services from accessing firearm or handgun records in the performance of that department's official duty.

No. That applies to internal use. The ban on inspection is for public disclosure

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    According to their website, "with the circuit court for the county where any party resides or has a principal place of business." I looked up some cases (I won't link because names) and I saw an out-of-state person file an appeal. (It was eventually dismissed.)

Is the location of any "party" which includes the Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services (DPSCS) of which the Board is a part. Handgun Permit Review Board 6776 Reisterstown Road
    Suite 313
    Baltimore, Maryland 21215

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom