• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kaffakid

May 14, 2017
    DC
    Anyone see the concealed carry article in WaPo today?

807 applicants thus far - I’m surprised it’s that low.

55% out of applicants live outside the District.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Battered DC Gun Owner Syndrome.

If I had reason to go into the District, I would consider it because it allows (accidental) carry of spent brass. And there might be a spent casing somewhere in my car...

Sad, it is.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I saw it, about the third time recently that they have run the same story. Maybe they are waiting for M Street to run with blood since Georgetown is now the Wild Wild West.

New picture of now Lt Hall however.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Waiting for the inevitable quote from someone in one of these stories that says they’re moving to MD because DC and VA’s gun laws make them feel unsafe.

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    Battered DC Gun Owner Syndrome.

Add to that the sticker shock from the total cost of obtaining a license. Factor in the 16 hour training course cost, the application fee, registration fee, plus if they don’t already own a gun include the cost of purchasing a gun and the FFL transfer fees ($125 for Mr. Sykes alone) and most people just walk away from me shaking their head when I try to convince them to go for it.

I can’t blame them because the process is designed to be discouraging.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    3 or 4 reasons .

After zero handguns between 1972 and Heller , and highly cumbersome procedures to purchase for generations before that ( source , my Dad's experiences in early 1950s ) , Wash DC has extremely low rates of firearm ownership of any type, or even awareness of lawful gun ownership , among long time residents. It's increasing , but from very low starting point.

People coming to DC from outside for job or political reasons self select . If they are gun people , they don't relocate into the actual District , but instead Va or Md . Also ties into statistic on Non-Resident. Many of those work , or have close ties to DC , and if DC was closer to national norms , would have been residents .

And the time , hassle , and $$$ involved discourage applicants . Heck has even been working on Me . If Md had a process like DC , I'd be on it in a heartbeat, along with 2 or 3 more people from my household. But DC ? Where I rarely go by choice , and usually with other things limiting me ? I've had to pragmatically put DC CCW on back burner for imeadate future . But. "Someday " I will .

Kelson1066

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2012
    Frederick County
    Add to that the sticker shock from the total cost of obtaining a license. Factor in the 16 hour training course cost, the application fee, registration fee, plus if they don’t already own a gun include the cost of purchasing a gun and the FFL transfer fees ($125 for Mr. Sykes alone) and most people just walk away from me shaking their head when I try to convince them to go for it.

I can’t blame them because the process is designed to be discouraging.

^This by brother bought a Tarus PT111 at the Nations gun show. By the time he replaced the mags paid the fees registered the gun he ended up spending more on the process than the actual firearm. Add to that having to go out of state any time he wants to attempt to get proficient with it and you realize that only those with a fair amount of disposable income are the ones able to afford firearms.

Though I wonder what I would take to get a FFL01 in DC seems pretty profitable :D

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Zero chance .

The statute requiring xx feet from this , and yy feet from that , leaves literally no place to open a gun store in DC .

Meanwhile to keep up appearences , and try to head off lawsuits , the sole FFL was allowed to use a desk in PD HQ .

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    But requiring identification to vote is a nazi-level crime against humanity civil rights violation.

Okay, got it.

Yep. The hypocrisy is unbelievable.

"But guns and the NRA are evil, and the 2A is outdated anyway" is the antigunner's mantra so therein lies the statist's justification, in their twisted minds, to make the process so expensive and time consuming that it's virtually prohibitive.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    That touches upon an interesting point , the % of Prohibited Persons . Short answer is very difficult to get numbers on comparitive basis.

But , if we oversimplify to population over 18 with felony convictions, there is some information.

As of 2010 , Nationwide :

Overall - 8.6%
    Black - 25%
    Non-Black combined - 6.5%

Overall numbers can vary considerably by state , the source ( libertariannews (dot) org ) , quoted Fla as 14% overall , 35% Black .

And while women's lib is slowly closing the gap , still heavily skewed to males for felony convictions .

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    DC doesnt have much of a difference when it comes to prohibited areas than most dense urban metros. of pubic space in DC at least 90% is not prohibited. Almost in private property almost no retail or restaurants are prohibited. The informed consent on private residences is the biggest limit, but that is not unique to DC

also post seems to be cylcing old numbers. They and the DC government want to imply it is fringe.

Here is hte thing. the peer reivwed studies, that the gun control goups themselves cite -- say DC has a 25.9% gun ownership rate.

The Post will NEVER publish that number alongside the MPD numbers on legal gun owners. Because they do not want to say that after decades of gun bans, that 1/4 of DC, ie about 40% of adult males in DC are in felony possession of a gun.

Population: 671,000
    Total gun owners in DC: 172,000
    Legal civilians , law enforcement and federal agents who can legally possess in DC combined:12,000 Maximum
    Illegal gun owners and/or illegal carriers: 160,000

Last edited:

IJM

Ultimate Member
    Apr 7, 2012
    District of Columbia
    3 or 4 reasons .

After zero handguns between 1972 and Heller , and highly cumbersome procedures to purchase for generations before that ( source , my Dad's experiences in early 1950s ) , Wash DC has extremely low rates of firearm ownership of any type, or even awareness of lawful gun ownership , among long time residents. It's increasing , but from very low starting point.

People coming to DC from outside for job or political reasons self select . If they are gun people , they don't relocate into the actual District , but instead Va or Md . Also ties into statistic on Non-Resident. Many of those work , or have close ties to DC , and if DC was closer to national norms , would have been residents .

And the time , hassle , and $$$ involved discourage applicants . Heck has even been working on Me . If Md had a process like DC , I'd be on it in a heartbeat, along with 2 or 3 more people from my household. But DC ? Where I rarely go by choice , and usually with other things limiting me ? I've had to pragmatically put DC CCW on back burner for imeadate future . But. "Someday " I will .

I think it's likely higher than most people imagine. A lot of people have an unregistered firearm stashed in the house, and I'm not just talking about gang bangers. But, you're correct that it's not like VA.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ok , I'll rephrase , very low rates of legal and/ or acknowledged in polite company , by otherwise law abiding citizens .

And 1972 was going on 46yrs ago . Would make a then legal aged person a minimum of 67yo , more typically 70s and 80's . Most of the old timers who remember to when guns in DC weren't absolutely Evil are dead , or retired in Fla .

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I think it's likely higher than most people imagine. A lot of people have an unregistered firearm stashed in the house, and I'm not just talking about gang bangers. But, you're correct that it's not like VA.

The peer reviewed studies say DC has 25.9%
    http://injuryprevention.bmj.com/con...86.full.pdf?keytype=ref&ijkey=doj6vx0laFZMsQ2
    (see page 3).

Higher rate than Maryland.

sure I have my criticism of that study's but it is one used by scores of other studies by gun control advocacy researchers, and it is kinda funny since it shows 1/4 of DC residents -- likely 95% Democrats -- are in criminal possession of a firearm and don't care about gun laws

Maybe 1,500 of DC's 4,000 current and retired cops are residents of the District.
    Maybe 1,500 of the 3,000 federal officers empowered to carry are residents of the districts
    About 4,000 to 5,000 non law enforcement civilians hold the ~8,000 registered guns.

so maybe 0.5% of the 25.9% who possess guns in DC do so legally

Also interesting:

Academic studies funded by Bloomberg, and/or used by Everytown, VPC, Brady et al., on suicide say DC has a 3% or 4% gun ownership rate, since using that number supports their claims on suicide. DC has the lowest suicide rate in the country so they pick a DC gun ownership number that fits their narrative that less guns = less suicide
    Academic studies funded by Bloomberg, and or/used by Everytown, VPC, Brady et al., on murder say DC has 25.9% gun ownership, since that number supports their claims on homicide. DC has a very high homicide rate, so they pick a high DC gun ownership number to fit their narrative that more guns = more murder.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    The peer reviewed studies say DC has 25.9%
    http://injuryprevention.bmj.com/con...86.full.pdf?keytype=ref&ijkey=doj6vx0laFZMsQ2
    (see page 3).

Higher rate than Maryland.

sure I have my criticism of that study's but it is one used by scores of other studies by gun control advocacy researchers, and it is kinda funny since it shows 1/4 of DC residents -- likely 95% Democrats -- are in criminal possession of a firearm and don't care about gun laws

Maybe 1,500 of DC's 4,000 current and retired cops are residents of the District.
    Maybe 1,500 of the 3,000 federal officers empowered to carry are residents of the districts
    About 4,000 to 5,000 non law enforcement civilians hold the ~8,000 registered guns.

so maybe 0.5% of the 25.9% who possess guns in DC do so legally

Also interesting:

Academic studies funded by Bloomberg, and/or used by Everytown, VPC, Brady et al., on suicide say DC has a 3% or 4% gun ownership rate, since using that number supports their claims on suicide. DC has the lowest suicide rate in the country so they pick a DC gun ownership number that fits their narrative that less guns = less suicide
    Academic studies funded by Bloomberg, and or/used by Everytown, VPC, Brady et al., on murder say DC has 25.9% gun ownership, since that number supports their claims on homicide. DC has a very high homicide rate, so they pick a high DC gun ownership number to fit their narrative that more guns = more murder.

You have a cite for that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom