Gun Lobby is silent on the most important question in proliferating concealed carry

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Shield or G43?

Problem is both are excellent. One of each?

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    You read my mind. I just ordered a Glock 43 to celebrate.

I have the distinct feeling Christmas is going to come early this year for Mr. Sykes.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Neither. This is the only way to go.

50659-1-large.jpg

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Personally, if you're considering a Glock 43, I'd suggest you look at the Glock 26. Much more firepower with just a little more bulk. When I looked at the 2, it was an easy choice for me. The Glock 26 hands down.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Think Old School .
    A Chief Special , and a 2.5in M19 .

Ironically my father's 1960's chief's was my first DC gun in early 2009. it is disassembled in preservation bags.

instead of narrowing my list it grew; G43 (maybe with gadget), Shield 2.0 or XDe. on specs I was certain I would go with the XDe as I am very practiced and comfortable with Sig 22x da/sa hammer and decocker and action. 10.5 lb on the first pull, decocker, and nice capacity relative to shield or g43 were compelling on paper. But i got a chance to handle and dry fire XDe (cant find a rental in area) and while the 10.5 first pull is manageable, the trigger reach on that first DA is longer than any of my sigs with or without Sig Short Reach (different than short reset).

since I figured single stack would be a good pass down to one of my daughters, the fact that the XDE initial trigger pull is such a reach maybe a deal killer.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I highly recommend shooting the XDe before buying it. I wasnt impressed as the bore axis is very high compared to others. I personally carry a 9mm shield and I’m very happy with it.

If you are seriously considering the glock, make sure you read up on the finish problems they are having. Lots of them are rusting after the finish wears off from constant holstering. The shield has a stainless slide so this isn’t a problem. You can also pick one of the original versions up for dirt cheap right now.

Last edited:

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Unquestionably G43. SW quality control is okay but doesn't compare in quality to Glock in my opinion. I have no stock in either, just what I've observed over years in the industry.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    G43. Bought one when they first come out and mine now had ove 1500 rounds down. Like hyroshocks and Horaday CD which are the only two defense ammo I've tried. Zero failures. Use it for my summer edc and then switch to the 26 in the fall and wearing mor clothes. Same control and feel which is very important to me.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I guess one of the sticking points on the 43 is the 13 rounds total on stock magazines instead of 16. Huge difference? no. but it is more than 20%more rounds. Got to remember that in DC the way the law is written it is 20 rounds but max two loads so one in the gun and one spare would be considered limit.

Sure there are extensions but there is a thread on glock forums that even people who were not having problems with FMJ at range did see problems with HP rounds. Even plus one on spare brings it to 14 vs 17. With XDE it is 18 with stock mags (8+1 +9).

I had thought the xde since the capacity would mean it is also a good nightstand gun passdown to one of my daughters. the his visablity and tactile chamber indicator would be especially good in DC since one could expect to have to unchamber in a car every once in a while. cops dont have to by civilian CCL do. Those manipulations to unload is the only time I'd use a safety as well, but for those manipulaions the external safety is a plus. But the DA weight and especially reach on that make it totally inappropriate for a woman with average size hands. It is longer harder DA reach than my p226 or p229 or for that matter than a p239 or p225.

The slight size and weight increase in the xde over shield and g43 mean it approaches putting 225a1 in the mix.

I think capacity and external safety for manipulations push me toward the shield 2.0 although for holstering a g43 with tau gadget would be closest to long learned habit of riding the hammer down in holstering.

Just difficult to decide when it comes to manipulations: striker with gadget or striker with external safety or DA decocked. In either case I will have to drive out to virginia and sit somewhere relaxed and practice with snapcaps with any of the choices.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I highly recommend shooting the XDe before buying it. I wasnt impressed as the bore axis is very high compared to others. I personally carry a 9mm shield and I’m very happy with it.

I'm not concerned with bore axis. I never really got the concern over that. I am used to it from sigs, it is needed to make room for the hammer. OK maybe slighly more of a concern as the handgun's weight decreases. What I noticed is on youtube range reports of xde is that guys have no trouble putting in SA shots very accurate but very few did DA shots. they inserted mag, racked and started shooting. my son will do the same thing as he wants to impress me with his accuracy -- shoot it all SA. I have to make him decock over and over so he gets used to da. The few youtubes where the xde is shot in DA, there is invariably one shot 8" to 12" low. Guys are saying "oh well, one flyer" -- that "flyer' its the first DA shot and that is a problem in a 3" group with three, four or five shots and one of them being a full foot low at 7 yards. Add cold, dark and nerves into the mix and that DA flyer is completely missing center mass in an urban environement

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Damn , yall's thrown down the Gauntlet. As both an old school DA revolver shooter , and successful user of DA/SA bottom feeders , who's got one of these to go shoot , and make some friendly wagers about flyers ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom