• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marc0nline

Mar 24, 2019
    Southern Maryland
    *** DO NOT GO TO MYRTLE GROVE SHOOTING RANGE ON 8/21***

... What I will do for everyone is go there and test out the range and report back to MSF and give you a full report on my findings ;-0 ;-) LMAO!

Last edited:

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    Went today at approx 11am, and every seat was filled. I waited along with 2 others behind me for about 20 min for a table.

Range looks nice and (like I thought from pictures) the tables are too small (I like to spread out my gear and rifles on the table) and IMO a bit too high (or seat too low) for shooting off a support (like a Caldwell Rock or RockJR). But I managed. Might need to bring a phone book to sit on next time if I can find one and I am not a short person, I am 6' tall.

Will post some pictures tonight.

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    Promised pics from prior posting.

(click any image for full sized version)
    New baffles, rear view.

View down your lane/"tunnel"

Another view down your lane/"tunnel"

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    Promised pics from prior posting.

(click any image for full sized version)
    New baffles, rear view.

View down your lane/"tunnel"

Another view down your lane/"tunnel"

Wonder how the new lane deviders will handle my 50bmg.
    You think it will muffle the blast and overpressure so it won't blow things off the neighbors table or disturb them to much?

pp55ftw

Jan 8, 2019
    Planning on checking this out this weekend. Just have a few newbie questions-are the target stands for rent? and do we have to bring our own targets or are they available for purchase there?

Thanks.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Planning on checking this out this weekend. Just have a few newbie questions-are the target stands for rent? and do we have to bring our own targets or are they available for purchase there?

Thanks.

The stands are provided by the range. You bring a handful of wooden clothespins and your targets which you pin to the orange plastic webbing on the stands. Every once in a while, someone from DNR staples a fresh piece of construction fence to the target stand to replace the one that has been shot to hell.

- Please dont shoot the legs off the target stands. It's only a 100 yard range, you should be able to hit within the webbing.

- If you shoot pistols, make sure you hit a backstop (e.g. the small berms staggered along the length of the range), not the flat ground behind the target stand. If you hit the ground, your ricochets may hit the baffles.

pp55ftw

Jan 8, 2019
    The stands are provided by the range. You bring a handful of wooden clothespins and your targets which you pin to the orange plastic webbing on the stands. Every once in a while, someone from DNR staples a fresh piece of construction fence to the target stand to replace the one that has been shot to hell.

- Please dont shoot the legs off the target stands. It's only a 100 yard range, you should be able to hit within the webbing.

- If you shoot pistols, make sure you hit a backstop (e.g. the small berms staggered along the length of the range), not the flat ground behind the target stand. If you hit the ground, your ricochets may hit the baffles.

Thanks for the info! Hope to see everyone out there.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Construction webbing? I remember having to bring string to hang targets from. But that was 20+ years ago.

If you look at the pictures further up, it shows the target stands. DNR has a roll of this orange construction fence at their maintenance shop. It's like a rubbery PVC material with big holes. They staple it to the uprights on the target stands and you attach your target with 4 clothes-pins. The PVC holds up pretty well until its really more bullet holes than plastic. They frown on attaching sticky targets directly to the fence stuff as that just turns it into a big gooey mess after a while. What I have done is to attach a big paper target to the webbing and then use stick-on targets attached to that. That way I have 6 or 8 small targets to work with between ceasefires.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    i was down there yesterdays morning a 0900 to try and scrounge up some 30-06 and 223 brass. the range looked nice but I was disappointing that I didn't find a single 30-06 brass and only a handful of 223 brass.

i was looking for it for a project, i have a set of jigs coming so I can trim the 30-06 down to make 8 mm mauser and the 223 to trim down to make 7.62x25 brass.

i am wondering how well the lane deciders will work to block the muzzle blast of me 50 bmg or my big bore handguns. or how long until they are shot out.

the sad thing is it was out of use for that long and they couldnt be bothered to put a roof over the tables

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    i was down there yesterdays morning a 0900 to try and scrounge up some 30-06 and 223 brass. the range looked nice but I was disappointing that I didn't find a single 30-06 brass and only a handful of 223 brass.

i was looking for it for a project, i have a set of jigs coming so I can trim the 30-06 down to make 8 mm mauser and the 223 to trim down to make 7.62x25 brass.

Come by at 2pm and there will be plenty of .223 brass to pick up ;-)

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    Got to try the "improved" range. I like the lane dividers, it keeps my AKs brass at Bay from other shooters. I do think that the tables are a bit high though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom