• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    So. I've got a new farm to shoot groundhogs on. Most shots are 200yard or more.

I'm thinking of upping the game. I could stay with .17HMR and just keep learning it's capabilities. My other option is to get a better scope for my 18" Noveske AR15. I currently has a 1-4 PST.

I like the Mossberg MVP varmint and cz527 in .204
    22-250 in would look at a savage I think.

What is the consensus of my options?

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    So. I've got a new farm to shoot groundhogs on. Most shots are 200yard or more.

I'm thinking of upping the game. I could stay with .17HMR and just keep learning it's capabilities. My other option is to get a better scope for my 18" Noveske. I currently has a 1-4 PST.

I like the Mossberg MVP varmint and cz527 in .204
    22-250 in would look at a savage I think.

What is the consensus of my options?

I'll take the 22-250 over the 204 anyday, but that's just my take.;)

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Love the .17HMR. But IMO, you'll want to leave it home at the 200 plus ranges you describe.

Been working recently with the CZ 527 in .204 Ruger. I like the combo. Factory ammo is good, and good hand loads can be better. But I'm finding so far that it's a bit finicky to load for. That's another story, but a nice and light weight and decently accurate rifle to carry if you're moving around a lot.

My Savage Model 12 in .22-250 is one of the most accurate rifles I own period. But it's a bear to carry if you'd be doing a lot of that.

You might also look at a good .243 sporter weight, especially if increased versatility would be something you see as being of value to you. It's oftentimes my first choice. I've had very good results loading the 58grain Vmax. You'd be pushing that heavier varmint constructed bullet at .204 and .22-250 velocities in shorter barrels. Damned good accuracy also with the right loads. Switch to 100 grain or similar constructed game bullets, and you have a very capable deer rifle as well.

Hell, they're all fun, and something to be said for all of them. Enjoy and Good Luck!

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    I love both cartridges but I'm very impressed with the 204 Ruger because it's alot of fun to shoot. It will flat out smoke chucks out to 300 yards and beyond. I've loaded mine with a 39 grain sierra on top of 27 grains of Varget and attached are pics of the results. Remember that the 204 has 5% more case capacity than the .223 so the boolits are really scooting along out of a 204. You will not be disappointed with a 204 Ruger!

Attachments

• IMG_0309.JPG
      IMG_0309.JPG
      34 KB · Views: 160
    • IMG_0314.JPG
      IMG_0314.JPG
      33.4 KB · Views: 157

High Q

Jan 16, 2009
    I have both too, and both are perfect for your purposes. However, I find myself shooting the 204 Ruger 99% of the time over the 22-250.

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    I have both too, and both are perfect for your purposes. However, I find myself shooting the 204 Ruger 99% of the time over the 22-250.

+1^^This

I will have to admit that I "Poo-Pooed" the 204 Ruger for a long time and have owned several .22-250's (700 VLS, Browning B-78, M-77, etc.) thinking it was the quintessential cartridge for groundhog duty. I don't think so anymore.

That said, it has it attributes and I still have an old Weatherby Varmintmaster chambered .22-250 that I love and use for both groundhogs and deer (loaded with a Barnes TSX). I would not attempt the later with the 204 and surely, some would flame me for attempting to do so with a .22-250. That's OK.

Bottom line IMHO, if you want a bit more versatility and don't mind the extra powder consumption and recoil, go with the .22-250. If you want a tack-driver that is pleasant to shoot and purposed specifically for chucks, coyotes, etc., only, get the 204. Mine is a Savage Predator Max 1 (model 10) and shoots lights out (see pics of groups). I was going to get a Sako 85 Varmint Laminate, but for the money and the way they shoot, the Savage rocks. Trigger was 1lb/10oz. from the factory. I did not even bother taking it out of the stock to adjust it. I know you are looking at the CZ (great too) but Savage also chambers the same rifle in .22-250, if you want to check it out. Let us know what you decide and good luck wacking those chucks. It's us or them.

Attachments

• IMG_0277.JPG
      IMG_0277.JPG
      45.5 KB · Views: 118
    • IMG_0285.JPG
      IMG_0285.JPG
      43.6 KB · Views: 118

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    In prairie dog shooting in west Texas, the 204 can do the job but the 22-250 handles the wind better. Heating up the barrel can be a problem out there when the ambient temp is in the 100's. And it's louder. I don't see either of those being deal breakers for ground hogs. i hunted with 2 guys from PA and they had 6.5-284's they use for ground hogs. A 22-250 barrel will last longer than that wildcat.

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    I know its not one of your 2 choices. But what about the 223? Its a good round.

*edit* get a good scope for your AR. OR........get a nice bolt 223. I think that will be a fun one to shoot.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I'm still in deliberations on this. The higher mag optic on the AR is leading. Mainly because I was going to anyway. After that it might just be .204 Ruger American Predator.

I will still look to MDS. I will try the AR as is with the Winchester var-x 40gr I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom