• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kair350

"Send Me"
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 6, 2016
    Harford County MD
    Free State

Staff has always been friendly. 4 year member. I ignore the other shooters. Its a public venue, lots of different folks.

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    I’ve personally never witnessed riff raff and criminals, but I’ve always only gone right when they open.

I’m not a fan of their ventilation system, which as noted above, pulls in the outside air. Even with their thermostats set low, it’s pretty uncomfortable during the summer. Might as well shoot outside.

As PO2012 noted, no drawing from a holster, unless you’ve taken their $75 class. Ummmmm, no. Used to be you could just ask them to certify you and all it was, was them watching you draw and fire a bunch.

Lastly, and this is a couple times now, the range has been completely booked up so that an agency could do training. Thanks, I just drove 30 minutes.

So I joined SLCFSA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I stopped using them (not that I did much), back in 13, I ordered a rifle through Bud's.

I had called and checked with them $50 transfer. Went in to pick up, they wanted to charge me $65. Because the long waits on pistols and AR made them buy more safes.

Fine, but you quoted $50. Around and around, so I told them to send it back. They accepted $50.

If you want to raise the price, fine, but NOT to existing orders.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    Stopped going there 5 years ago. Too many Homeland Security and private security people taking up lanes. I understand.....they need to make money.

I prefer to take my business elsewhere...and I live 10 minutes from Freestate!!!!!!

blipper

MDS Supporter
    Dec 4, 2017
    Dundalk (Baltimore County)
    I usually go to FS on Mondays and Fridays between 4-5 (granted, I'm semi-retired so I can make my own hours). Never have to wait and often there are only a few other shooters there. I don't pay much attention to what other people are doing, so there could be sideways shooting going on. Staff is friendly. As others have said, it can get hot in the summer. Thumbs up.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    I never thought I'd say this but Continental is x100 better. Freestate seems to attract the criminal element as well as lacking ranger officers.

PJS

Heavy
    Feb 4, 2014
    Baltimore
    I've never had an issue at Freestate. I took a Practical CC class there which gave me my holster draw cert... but since Deen appears to have left, they aren't running as many pistol classes. Staff is friendly. I'm self employed, I'll show up at 10AM on a weekday and shoot for an hour or two, no problemo. I've been in the building on weekends for training classes, it does get very busy.

I've never spotted a felon, but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to tell.

18wheeler

Mar 16, 2019
    Perryville
    If you don’t mind shooting outdoors and it isn’t too far, I prefer Elk Neck State forest gun range in North east. $10 for the whole day, covered bench’s, skeet range...

Just have to bring your own targets and stands.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    It's not uncommon for ranges to pull in outside air. So, either put up with it, go when it's cooler, or go somewhere else.

They all pull outside air to make up for the ventilation exhaust - its just a matter of whether its conditioned or not. Freestate used to leave the make up heat off until people complained too.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    If you don’t mind shooting outdoors and it isn’t too far, I prefer Elk Neck State forest gun range in North east. $10 for the whole day, covered bench’s, skeet range...

I remember being my one and done during a summer weekend in 1998, like 3 other people there which is probably rare even for a weekday current time.

Some middle aged guy wearing an orange shirt walking around stunk like bourbon and when we were rolling out he was pouring himself another in a red solo cup.

Whatever, at least he wasn't shooting. I guess the worst he did was hop in his car and drive home with one eye open

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    I used to go to Free State and was even a member at one point. I stopped going for a number of reasons.

1) Their policies, namely no drawing from a holster and no concealed firearms on their property.

2) The ridiculous wait times.

3) The fact that they cater to criminals and make no effort to exclude them. They allow criminals to use their range with stolen firearms. Video from their CCTV system has been introduced as evidence in court showing murderers and other violent felons practicing at their facility. It's very obvious who these people are. If I owned a gun range there's no way in hell I would allow someone who looks like they stepped off the set of the movie "Colors" to enter my range with a beat up Bersa Thunder and some loose rounds in a shopping bag. I know several Police Officers who refuse to shoot at Free State because they don't want to practice with known felons in the next lane. It's only a matter of time before they have a murder occur on their property.

Personally, I have no use for Free State. I belong to a small club out of state and when I want to shoot I make the trip there.

Just curious exactly how would they, or anyone else (like myself), KNOW there is a "known felon" stopping in to shoot at the range, or already shooting on the lane next to them?

I've also been a multi-year member there...although RARELY go lately due to other things going on. When I do, it is weekdays, mid afternoon, and aside from Holidays, have never waited for a lane...ever.

I have absolutely been there when "questionable" shooters have entered.

Have also seen an employee hand over a rented full auto AR to a young couple who had just stated that neither of them has ever even fired a rifle of any sort.

Weekends...I do not even bother attempting to go there. Not worth the aggravation, or the wait, IMHO. It is basically amateur hour and reeks of being a free for all. The few times I tried in the past, the highest wait time I've ever been quoted, was an hour.

The old Horst & McCann gives priority to paid members, so if there is a waiting line, you still go in first, before the non-members. I think any paid (up front and in full) member, at any range, should have that perk...although I still am not dumb enough to go there on a Saturday or Sunday morning, lol :lol2:

Cherno83

May 15, 2019
    Berwyn Heights

Great suggestion!!! I might have a new range to stop by on my drive to NJ for the weekends!

-Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boxtop

Sep 17, 2010
    Harford County
    Problem with Elk Neck is that there is never a range officer there and you can get some pretty shady individuals and/or some pretty unsafe behavior there as well. I have had to pack up and roll out early because of that a few times.

I haven't been to Free State in several years. I am sad to hear it has gotten so bad there.

Cherno83

May 15, 2019
    Berwyn Heights
    Problem with Elk Neck is that there is never a range officer there and you can get some pretty shady individuals and/or some pretty unsafe behavior there as well. I have had to pack up and roll out early because of that a few times.

I haven't been to Free State in several years. I am sad to hear it has gotten so bad there.

Dam...it's that bad? I guess I need to go there when the weather is really bad and no one wants to shoot hahaha

ground chuck

Rookie Jedi
    Sep 28, 2013
    Charm City County
    Dam...it's that bad? I guess I need to go there when the weather is really bad and no one wants to shoot hahaha

Staff is great, i just try to go off hours. Last time i did go to try a new rifle, it was a weekend and there were lots of rentals with girlfriend's.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom