• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel59

Hater of Kings and Queens
    Apr 8, 2018
    Went fishing
    I go fishing out of OC regularly. We stopped overnighting between trips due to the fear of bring home bed bugs. Driving down and back makes for a long day but its doable.

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    I forgot to mention I am no longer in MD, 5 hours from westminster now, so OC is an 8 hour drive.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    Berlin section 8 thugs, fights on Boardwalk but don't take MY word for it ask 303Enfield he works there every day because he was too dumb get the Rhodes Scholarship like I did.
    Avoid JuneBugs.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    My wife and I went in February several years ago and it was great. The weather was warmer, 50-ish that weekend, so we could walk down the boardwalk. A couple nice restaurants were still open for the Valentines day weekend. If I remember correctly it was a fairly nice hotel, but I cannot recall where. It was one of the high-rise hotels and had a nice suite.

I like the beaches during the off season. My wife's parents used to live in Maine. We'd visit them and then spend a couple days at the beach during off season. ProTip: Don't go to Maine beaches during the season or else you risk seeing overweight Canadians wearing speedos.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    My wife and I went in February several years ago and it was great. The weather was warmer, 50-ish that weekend, so we could walk down the boardwalk. A couple nice restaurants were still open for the Valentines day weekend. If I remember correctly it was a fairly nice hotel, but I cannot recall where. It was one of the high-rise hotels and had a nice suite.

I like the beaches during the off season. My wife's parents used to live in Maine. We'd visit them and then spend a couple days at the beach during off season. ProTip: Don't go to Maine beaches during the season or else you risk seeing overweight Canadians wearing speedos.

Best guess..... the Carousel for eat and stay.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    I didn't see anyone mention it... but Ocean City isn't nearly as nice as it once was (and it barely was nice a long time ago). Dewey Beach is great if you like the bar scene. Rehoboth Beach is great if you want a family getaway. Clean sand, clean boardwalk, clean main street... lots of fun shops, lots of beach shops, lots of restaurants, lots of arcades, lots of parks/playgrounds, good little amusement park too. Lewes is really cool if you want a smaller, more laid back experience but it is on the Delaware Bay, not technically the ocean.

Our family really loves Rehoboth, if you couldn't tell!

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    I didn't see anyone mention it... but Ocean City isn't nearly as nice as it once was (and it barely was nice a long time ago). Dewey Beach is great if you like the bar scene. Rehoboth Beach is great if you want a family getaway. Clean sand, clean boardwalk, clean main street... lots of fun shops, lots of beach shops, lots of restaurants, lots of arcades, lots of parks/playgrounds, good little amusement park too. Lewes is really cool if you want a smaller, more laid back experience but it is on the Delaware Bay, not technically the ocean.

Actually you're incorrect. OC at one time was great and family fun but that was long LONG ago like 50 or 60 years. :sad20:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    How old are you and what do you like to do?

There are different parts of OC and different things. I have a house in Ocean Pines which is on the mainland.
    Closer to the Inlet, the different it gets. We still take the kids a couple times during the year (4 of them ages 19 to 12) to Marty's Playland at the Inlet eat at Tony's Pizza and walk the board walk and get ice cream at Dumsers Dairyland.
    I don't have any fears walking around during the day with my kids. For the most part, the only ones who get into trouble are those looking for trouble. I often fish the 50 bridge and stay till midnight. Things change after midnight but there are SOO many cops, I don't fear walking around. (there was one night things got hairy though and lots of cops came out, but it was not like innocent bystanders got involved).
    Further you head north the more "Family" it gets.

The biggest change I've seen in OC over 10+ years is the fishing is getting more and more difficult. If you are going to fish, get a one of the "head boats" and go offshore/nearshore for some sea bass.

So since 2004, going to the boardwalk, I've only seen one fight at night and dude was drunk and got what was coming to him. If I worked there, sure I'd see more. Owning a place there, I'd say we go to boardwalk about 5-10 times a summer.

during the week, some hotels will give deals. You can also sometimes find condo deals on cbvacations.com Calling up cbvacations sometimes will land you some good advice talking to an agent.
    Before June and after Sept, you can find condos for just the weekend or midweek. calling them and telling them what you want will get you much better advice cause they know the whole strip and have owners that partial rent.
    With a condo, you have to pick up the keys at their office, maybe bring your own sheets (good idea anyway) and then drop the keys off into a drop box when you leave.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I would consider driving down to the Outer Banks if the drive is worth the stay. If you are making a weekend of it the drive isn't worth it. If it is a week long stay Outer Banks is great.

Ocean City is crowded, generic, not many "family events" going on, has a lot of traffic, attracts folks I don't want to be around, and is largerly "commercialized" when it comes to food and entertainment.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

We’ve been going to Rehoboth Beach a lot lately. Also Virginia Beach. Kinda neat at Virginia Beach watching the Seals from Little Creek play their games in their rubber boats.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Stay North of the 62 street bridge or bayside and you're gtg. We just went back on the 25th and had a great time. We stayed at the princess royale and had a good experience. We asked for a first floor room and were able to just send the boys out to the grass to play. The bar was right there too so I could grab a drink for the beach. The food was also very good.

Fish tales and the rope walk are two family friendly restaurants with good food, good drinks, and Sandy play areas for the kids. Avoid the boardwalk if you have kids.

Fyi, the changed the parking at the inlet to be automatic now. It scans your plate as you arrive. You need to pay when you get there(which we found out as we were leaving). Hopefully I don't get a $25 ticket, as I still paid for 2 hours, but for. 6-8 instead of the 4-6 we were there.

Go before June if you can help it and look up if there are any events like bike week or senior week to steer clear of.

Attachments

• 20180525_104638.jpg
      20180525_104638.jpg
      69.6 KB · Views: 238
    • 20180527_121636.jpg
      20180527_121636.jpg
      61 KB · Views: 229

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    We’ve been going to Rehoboth Beach a lot lately. Also Virginia Beach. Kinda neat at Virginia Beach watching the Seals from Little Creek play their games in their rubber boats.

The last time the wife and I went to RB I got hit on several times by an unfavorable gender.

Another good place to go is chincoteague island. It's about 2 hour drive beyond OC and well worth the drive. It seems very family-oriented. The beach is on a State Park and very large. Bikes to rent along with good restaurants. Good choice between BnB or motel. For our 10th anniversary we stayed at a motel on the island and it was nice, clean, quiet. There were a few nice gourmet restaurants to choose from. I liked the area because there wern't drunken teenagers running around.

That would be my go-to if it were up to me.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I hated OC. I stayed away for years(after spending every summer vaca there with the fam at Castle in the Sands as a child) while my wife and her girlfriends went every year with the kids. I finally returned several years ago. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I stay around 32nd Street. As far as I'm concerned, OC has always been an over-crowded chithole. Nothing's changed except there's just more of it.

If you go, spend the money and stay someplace nice. Nothing worse than a crappy hotel or rental in a crappy place. Hell, we hardly venture out while we're there, save to hit a favorite bar or to go para-sailing. There's a pool bar and outdoor cafe and a giant kiddie pool with slides etc. I have a balcony with a large tanning deck and private hot tub on it. We mostly live on room service. Life's too short to stay in a crappy place. It's OC. Make the best of it

Has anyone mentioned the parking situation in Rehobeth/Bethany?

mumfrey

Nov 16, 2017
    Northern Balt Co
    I liked OC when I was a kid. In the 70s it was definitely family friendly. As years went on, the demographic changed. Last time I was there, and I mean LAST time, was 2010. My wife, young son, and me. We were on the boardwalk around 2nd-3rd street when a brawl broke out. 30+ pieces of shit deep. Fists and F-bombs flying. My wife and son were scared, hell, I was concerned. From what I hear, first-hand, is that that is a normal weekend night on the boardwalk.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    oc

I have resided on the ES since 2003 and by choice I have NEVER been to OC and am proud of it.

Thanks to this thread I have positive reinforcement of my decision and my pride in it.

OC is good for MD, all the taxes it rakes in. bob

I have to agree. Live near OC most of the year. Before july 4th and in September is fine. I love bike week in September. Just look in the calendar and if you don't like cars don't go to the Cruising weekends. Don't like bikes do go to bike week, and avoid the H2O weekend entirely. Have fun. There are plenty of good restaurants.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    I hated OC. I stayed away for years(after spending every summer vaca there with the fam at Castle in the Sands as a child) while my wife and her girlfriends went every year with the kids. I finally returned several years ago. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I stay around 32nd Street. As far as I'm concerned, OC has always been an over-crowded chithole. Nothing's changed except there's just more of it.

If you go, spend the money and stay someplace nice. Nothing worse than a crappy hotel or rental in a crappy place. Hell, we hardly venture out while we're there, save to hit a favorite bar or to go para-sailing. There's a pool bar and outdoor cafe and a giant kiddie pool with slides etc. I have a balcony with a large tanning deck and private hot tub on it. We mostly live on room service. Life's too short to stay in a crappy place. It's OC. Make the best of it

Has anyone mentioned the parking situation in Rehobeth/Bethany?

I grew up in Worcester county and spent a fair amount of time in OC as a kid. However, I had not been in many years until recently. In season, there are just too many people there. But, if you simply are going to hole up in a nice hotel, eat good food, drink too much and sun yourself on a deck, well, I can do that plenty of other places including at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom