• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    So is Baltimore's population shrinking by people fleeing, or are they just going inanimate and subterranean?

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    I stopped watching as soon as they steered it to make the War on drugs a racist plot. From that point, no one else in this piece of propaganda can be trusted to give an objective interview.

But then again....it's Al Jazeera

3/2ACR Vet

Jul 6, 2012
    Baltimore City
    Sorry, no. While Al Jazeera English is fast becoming a legitimate news source, they still do these blatant propaganda pieces far too often.

Calling this video "The True Baltimore" is kind of like making a video about fine dining by going only to McDonalds restaurants.

These guys spent two weeks scouring the city for the worst places and situations in Baltimore, ignOring anything that did not fit in with their story of urban blight, drugs and murder.

Sorry, no. You want to see the real Baltimore? Use your own eyes.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    I find it interesting the hardcore criminals often blame a lack of a positive father figure and consequently being raised by the streets as a contributing factor to their life of crime.

However when conservatives promote the importance of the nuclear family, it is always made to sound outdated and pointless.

Sorry, no. You want to see the real Baltimore? Use your own eyes.

sorry I lived in upper fellspoint (2 blocks from the projects) for 10 years.
    i am white, I have seen the Baltimore city police in action.
    99 % of this video is true.
    take off your rose color glasses and go for a walk. hell take a walk up durham st. at 2pm in the afternoon.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I find it interesting the hardcore criminals often blame a lack of a positive father figure and consequently being raised by the streets as a contributing factor to their life of crime.

However when conservatives promote the importance of the nuclear family, it is always made to sound outdated and pointless.

You're being too kind. I hear "bigoted, judgemental, intolerant and hate-filled".

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Thanks for posting.

I found it interesting, and even found that they made a few good points. Al Jazeera notwithstanding, I think it’s worth watching. But you have to put your thinking cap on.

Of course it’s solidly a propaganda piece, and as such (and as is common even in the mainstream US media) what you leave out is just as important as what you put in.

Favorites (note sarcasm):

* The drug dealer who said he turned to dealing when an injury ended his hopes of becoming a basketball player. Only those two choices in life?

* The ex-murderer who complains about the number of people with records

* The African American female civil rights lawyer who complains about the disproportionate number of African Americans arrested for committing crimes, while ignoring (or not being asked) the question of: did they actually commit those crimes? And oh, for good measure, let's trot out Reagan's name in there too.

* The rich white liberal who claims the war on poverty, the war on drugs, indeed everything the government has done since the 60s (regardless of which party is in power) is instead, and by design, a war on people of color.

Could they have chosen any more stereotypical “go to” icons?

Note: Not one word about the failed schools (or why they have failed). Not one word about the failed parents who should insist their kids attend school and, oh I don’t know, maybe learn something besides how to play basketball in gym class? Not one word about the students themselves taking responsibility for their own actions and actually doing homework, absorbing knowledge, getting a job not involving professional sports or dealing drugs (there are one or two options in-between those two extremes), and making something of their lives.

Well as I said, interesting but pretty much what you’d expect from Al Jazeera. Or NBC. Or CBS, ABC, PBS/NPR, etc.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    And not one thing about the only good thing about Baltimore.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
      thumbnail.jpg
      5.2 KB · Views: 718

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    The best way to stay out of Prison?

Don't commit crimes. A good rule of thumb whether you're black, white, or whatever.

That is easy enough to say because you were raised in a family with a mother and/or father that had a job and played by the rules. These kids and now adults do not have that same moral grounding.

Honestly my gripe is with the 'social safety net' that rewards people for not having a job, not getting job training, and not working an entry level job to get established. The only reward is for making more babies.

The fundamental aspect of learning is reward equals repeated behavior. You were rewarded for working hard. In bizzaro universe some people are rewarded for being irresponsible.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Here's the True Baltimore City, but you will not see it on US News.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz0nkKdkLqc&feature=plcp

Great documentary, thanks for posting it.

- the older I get, the more I respect others and appreciate that (most) everyone has something to offer society. A lot of these would be 'bad guys' has some redeeming quality, and I do understand all of us may need a hand at some point in our lives. The real tragedy was starting the 'you owe me mentality' it has largely sucked the drive, initiative and very life out of too many Americans.

- 1 in every 100 US citizens is behind bars he says, wow. I previously read somewhere that there were about 2 million incarcerated.

- repeated theme: this is all they know. So an entire next generation is being pressed into these same bleak life choices. School to prison pipe-line she says.

- I wish there was more discussion about the various gun issues related to poverty, drugs and crime in Baltimore. I so wish the producers had asked everyone interviewed how if they knew that citizens could be legally armed, how that might affect them. Remember the video on 20/20?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom