• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    How about a novel idea: why not repeal 2 laws for every new law passed that the average citizen has to follow who isn't committing any crimes? We are over-taxed and over-regulated as it stands. The average person is subject to countless laws that they cannot even identify (but are to honor and obey nonetheless). Rhetorical question: How many laws are you subject to, local, county, state, and federal? The only answer I can come up with is "all of them".

SCV/SAR Patriot

UNRECONSTRUCTED
    How about a novel idea: why not repeal 2 laws for every new law passed that the average citizen has to follow who isn't committing any crimes? We are over-taxed and over-regulated as it stands. The average person is subject to countless laws that they cannot even identify (but are to honor and obey nonetheless). Rhetorical question: How many laws are you subject to, local, county, state, and federal? The only answer I can come up with is "all of them".

Been preaching this for years but I’d like to see 100 repealed for every new one proposed.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    The big new term being coined is "Gun Safety Reform" I mean who can be against that, right?.

About ten years ago they began using those terms more so int he last couple of years. Gun safety and gun reform probably test a lot better with focus groups than "gun control."

That is fine, these jackasses can call themselves what they want, but when the press calls a gun ban organization that has never once developed any materials, course etc on actual firearms safety, a "gun safety organization," it is over the top.

They will call NRA the "gun makers lobby" despite the fact that it is not in any way shape or form that, and ironically the national gun safety organization.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    About ten years ago they began using those terms more so int he last couple of years. Gun safety and gun reform probably test a lot better with focus groups than "gun control."

That is fine, these jackasses can call themselves what they want, but when the press calls a gun ban organization that has never once developed any materials, course etc on actual firearms safety, a "gun safety organization," it is over the top.

They will call NRA the "gun makers lobby" despite the fact that it is not in any way shape or form that, and ironically the national gun safety organization.

Goebbels is right.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I thought I'd share the reply I got this morning from Steny "Lurch" Hoyer.
    Dear Beo,

Thank you for contacting me to share your views on gun control and violence in our communities. I certainly appreciate your taking the time to make me aware of your concerns about this important matter.

I am deeply saddened by the countless mass shootings that have subjected many innocent lives to the horrors of gun violence. It is clear more than ever that prayer and moments of silence are not enough. In the past, our nation had fallen into a pattern of grief and inaction. Whenever a mass murder occurred, whether against worshipers at a church, schoolchildren in their classrooms, moviegoers in a theater, young people in a nightclub, or reporters, we prayed for the victims and their families, and held moments of silence.

I fully support the many students and advocacy groups that are engaged and organizing movements to call for action on this issue. In 2016, I joined many of my Democratic colleagues in the House of Representatives, including civil rights leader Representative John Lewis, in a twenty-six-hour sit-in on the House Floor. Democrats held the sit-in to demand that House Republicans bring legislation to address gun violence to a vote. We sat on the House Floor not to shut it down, but to open it up. By refusing to allow votes even on measures with broad, bipartisan support it was the Republican Majority that had truly shut down the Floor.

The fact of the matter is Americans want action, and we ought to have action. Which is why I was proud to stand with them and my colleagues in an effort to end gun violence as we introduced H.R. 8, legislation that will require comprehensive background checks for all gun purchases and that is supported by most Americans. I support reasonable, common-sense proposals to help protect our communities while ensuring the rights of responsible gun owners, such as our hunters and sportsmen. In the past, these recommendations have included implementing universal background checks, banning assault weapons and high-capacity magazines, banning bump stocks, strengthening background checks, enhancing school safety, and expanding mental health safeguards and services. I look forward to continue working with my colleagues in Congress on this important issue.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts with me. I encourage you to visit my website at www.hoyer.house.gov. While there, you can sign up for the Hoyer Herald, access my voting record, and get information about important public issues. If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

With kindest regards, I am

Sincerely yours,

Steny H. Hoyer

This really is as productive as trying to talk to the dead...

OverTheTop

Mar 1, 2017
    Baltimore City
    Here in the Democratic People's Republic of Maryland, very little can be done outright. However, here are several ideas I have brought up before and that I am doing. 1) Register as a Democrat and vote against the incumbent in the primary. Many times these grabbers get renominated by a slight margin. When they lose write and tell them it was their stance on guns Also, when you write them they will find out if you are Democrat or not and will respond if you are and ignore if you are not. 2) Support MSI and all legal challenges to MD laws in the courts, that is the only way we will win anything here right now. 3) Take someone shooting, your kids or a friend. You don't have to be a hunter to enjoy the sport of shooting. Education and experience and memories will help. My son and I stop for lunch on the way out and a treat on our way back.

Anything and everything people can do to protect our 2nd Amendment right should be supported.
    I was talking about this in HBAR law thread. We need to a better job of creating new 2A supporters, attempt to win over those who are mildly 2A, and go after these gun grabber's seats. The gun grabbers will only get more emboldened unless they feel like they will lose their office.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    California's gun seizure program hits hurdles
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/california-gun-seizure-program-hits-hurdles
    close
    California's gun seizure program hits hurdles

Authorities in California are struggling to enforce a state law that permits officials to seize firearms from people with previous criminal convictions or mental health issues – running into staffing and budgetary issues that have contributed to a massive backlog of guns marked for confiscation.

The law, which was passed in 2013 following the shooting at Connecticut’s Sandy Hook elementary school and set aside $24 million for seizure programs, had a goal of confiscating around 20,000 guns over three years. But six years later, according to a San Francisco Chronicle report, there are still roughly 9,000 of those guns out there, with more being added to the list yearly...

Talk about a high pressure, low pay job!

Odarlin1

Ultimate Member
    Here in the Democratic People's Republic of Maryland, very little can be done outright. However, here are several ideas I have brought up before and that I am doing. 1) Register as a Democrat and vote against the incumbent in the primary. Many times these grabbers get renominated by a slight margin. When they lose write and tell them it was their stance on guns Also, when you write them they will find out if you are Democrat or not and will respon d if you are and ignore if you are not. 2) Support MSI and all legal challenges to MD laws in the courts, that is the only way we will win anything here right now. 3) Take someone shooting, your kids or a friend. You don't have to be a hunter to enjoy the sport of shooting. Education and experience and memories will help. My son and I stop for lunch on the way out and a treat on our way back.

Anything and everything people can do to protect our 2nd Amendment right should be supported.

Like these ideas. I might try the Dem primary effort. 2 and 3 are a given!

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    We gotta be careful about how we tie that stuff together, otherwise we are no better than the opposition. They constantly tie together unrelated data to drive their agenda.

2013: 235 murders. (FSA in October)
    2014: 211 murders
    2015: 344 murders. (Freddie Gray riots in April)

The reality is that there is little if any impact of the 2013 legislation on the Baltimore murder rate.

Somewhat True. It is incarceration rate movement nationally and regionally that correlates and in fact is causal on violent crime rates. DC had 2,5000 people locked up five years ago and 1,500 today. This is exactly the pool of both murder perps and murder victims.

Relaxed gun laws DO correlate to less crime when you do full controls for data and demographics, but given how many less people were incarcerated in Baltimore 2015 than prior years -- that overrides. A lot more more felons released onto the streets will override any benefit of realaxed gun control.

And it was not only Baltimore gun homicide that went up, there were more knife and beating murders too.

Last edited:

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    My politically savvy father taught me all about this when I was registering to vote for the first time. While our family was conservative we lived in a very Blue Dog Democrat part of SW PA. My father ran for office as a Republican the first and only time to defeat. We learned that as a Republican in a heavily Democrat district you were an outsider with no voice or power. So I've been a DINO all my adult life. Has served me well for the 30 plus years I've lived in MD. Gives me some semblance of political power during primaries by being able to choose the lesser of two evils. And you get a little more juice when writing to a Democrat politician.
    It is a complicated issue. Best strategies and expectations should differ you live in a "safe" red, "safe" blue", purple or transitioning district.

For example people who live in a >20 red PVI ( https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d4/PVI_in_US_Congressional_Districts.png ) should not be whining about people voting for Susan Collins in Maine or going ballistic about some of he positions when she is relatively a net positive, and the alternative is a Democrat in the pocket of Bloomberg. Collins voted to confirm Kavanaugh in a very close vote, her being in office means the GOP controls the agenda of all the Senate committees, etc.

In your case if you register as a Dem, you get to vote in the only election that matters: the Democratic primary. There may be very sharp differences between two democrat contenders a half dozen issues important to you from school policy, tax policy, development in your area, criminal justice and policing. Once politics gets local it goes beyond abstract and the effects can be direct and practical even between two Democrats. You then can still of course vote GOP in the general election. That is what I do in DC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom