• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I think a lot of stuff in the hunting industry is a gimmick. I think if your pattern is broken up, your playing the wind and you’re quiet and still you won’t have a problem getting deer within bow range.

I actually think a carefully chosen solid color is every bit as good, or even better, camouflage as a patterned one. Movement is more easily picked up in the forest when wearing a "pattern". Just a theory... I happen to believe in.
    Ever watch deer feeding through the woods? Notice when they stop, they all but disappear. That said, I wear commercial cammo, just like everyone else. No one makes solid colored hunting clothing.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I'm going to put the suit to a real test tomorrow. I'm going to sit on the side of a hilly cornfield that is in the corner of a patch of woods in a gully. I think this monster buck lives in those woods and I think I saw him yesterday with a couple of does feeding on the cut corn. I sat facing one of the edges of the woods tonight and thought I saw a deer's head on the top of the hill heading to the highway behind me to another cornfield.

If the stuff works then the deer will come out of the woods near dusk. They will see me but will think I'm an inanimate object and go about their business.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Correlation is not causation as any scientist knows.

But congrats on the buck! Post up on the Bambi whacking thread!

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Let me first say: congratulations on the deer. That’s the most important thing of all that could be said.

But as to your real question: No. It still “proves” nothing.

I’m going hunting today, my second time of the year. Dunno what I’ll get. Hundreds of others of hunters will do the same; almost all of them not wearing that special clothing.

What say you you if we don’t bag a deer? What say you to those who do bag one, without the clothing? What do you say to yourself prior to this new addition when you nevertheless got a deer anyway? What do you say to yourself when you wear the clothing but no deer appears?

I don’t think you understand how a scientific hypothesis is properly tested.

But sincere Congrats again on the deer! :)

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Oh well...

what's that saying?

"Ignorance is bliss" or something like that...

must be true.

What is this Hi brow humor? My father used to talk to people in elitist statements like this and it lost him a lot of friends. You post and imply everyone else in more ignorant than you? Sure, that will make us want to listen to what you have to say. :rolleyes:

What you are doing is making us care even less about hearing about if the details of if this are even worth listening too. Post some details about it, or just stop posting about it.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Guess what I just shot? (Still in the tree though.)

Guess what I wasn’t wearing? (A more complete reply later.)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You've all read my experiences and final thoughts on the hecs suit. That said, I can't recall a thread where there was more inexperienced naysaying in it. It's as if most people don't want it to work. I don't mean that to be inflammatory. Just curious.

I will say to Striper69, pictures say a thousand words. Was I wearing my HECS suit when I shot my buck this year? Yes. Do I honestly think it helped. No. Not in this case. I bought the suit to prove whether it was for real or a hoax. My own nonscientific experiment. I found no definite evidence that it worked.

YMMV

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    Show me this human signature with a device that detects it. Than cover the human with the new clothes and show that human is now undetectable with the same device. Then demonstrate that a deer has the same capabilities as the electronic device that was able to detect some signature. Then I'll order a set too.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    What is this Hi brow humor? My father used to talk to people in elitist statements like this and it lost him a lot of friends. You post and imply everyone else in more ignorant than you? Sure, that will make us want to listen to what you have to say. :rolleyes:

What you are doing is making us care even less about hearing about if the details of if this are even worth listening too. Post some details about it, or just stop posting about it.

You can heed if you want. Makes no difference to me. I'm not looking for "Likes" or Friends".

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Show me this human signature with a device that detects it. Than cover the human with the new clothes and show that human is now undetectable with the same device. Then demonstrate that a deer has the same capabilities as the electronic device that was able to detect some signature. Then I'll order a set too.

Don't.

I don't care.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    You've all read my experiences and final thoughts on the hecs suit. That said, I can't recall a thread where there was more inexperienced naysaying in it. It's as if most people don't want it to work. I don't mean that to be inflammatory. Just curious.

I will say to Striper69, pictures say a thousand words. Was I wearing my HECS suit when I shot my buck this year? Yes. Do I honestly think it helped. No. Not in this case. I bought the suit to prove whether it was for real or a hoax. My own nonscientific experiment. I found no definite evidence that it worked.

YMMV

I'm not a freakin' scientist so I can't tell everybody exactly what's happening but I have some real experiences that make me think that the suit does work.

Today I got a nice doe for the freezer.

I'm not doing any video to prove it.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I have an advantage because I am able to hunt on an indian reservation as a tribal member.

I can extensively experiment with different methods more than ordinary hunters.

They let me hunt with rifles until the end of the year because a lot of residents on the reservation should take advantage of this due to the low unemployment but they don't.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay

YMMV

This thread started cordial, you posted about it and stated what you thought and we listened. Many people thought it would not work, but listened to you. They was some joking and such as is the case on here. I went back and read the first 4 pages. You have come the closest to giving reasons why it could work and so on. You even said the one time That you thought it works, but the jury is still out. I would enjoy to hear more from you, but I am about done with striper.

Striper has turned this thread sideways with his inability to converse with people as equals. He makes simple posts that explain nothing and then talk as if we are uneducated children that couldn't possible understand.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    Outrider, in response to the OP, I'd vote No - not cheating. However, I'm still wearing pre-millennial tech gear and don't feel handicapped at all.

Some years back I was hunting in the tug hill region after a late work night that ended a few hours before daylight. Drove to a state park still in uniform and hopped into an old MOPP suit and mukluks, hiked to a spot I knew well, and took a seat against an old stump. No blind, but was wearing a head net. Had a large herd walk past (from head-on) just before daybreak. I was completely exposed. Could have reached out to either side and touched a few of them. With snow on the ground, I could make them out pretty well. Was careful not to move, tried not to even blink and when I did, I did so very slowly. They never alerted (no stops, stomps, vocalizations, nothing) and bedded down nearby. MOPP gear definitely helped reduce scent, though the gear I was wearing was long past its expiration. Any IR treatment was long gone too, as this gear had been gassed and laundered. My contrast with the snowy background could not have been higher (od vs white background).

Convinced after many similar encounters that controlling scent, sound, and movement are the most critical factors in remaining stealthy in the deer woods ... unless of course you happen to be hiding from a drone in the deer woods. :)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    This thread started cordial, you posted about it and stated what you thought and we listened. Many people thought it would not work, but listened to you. They was some joking and such as is the case on here. I went back and read the first 4 pages. You have come the closest to giving reasons why it could work and so on. You even said the one time That you thought it works, but the jury is still out. I would enjoy to hear more from you, but I am about done with striper.

Striper has turned this thread sideways with his inability to converse with people as equals. He makes simple posts that explain nothing and then talk as if we are uneducated children that couldn't possible understand.

I appreciate your words Rob, but I also can appreciate striper's frustration:

Jeez! Some of the comments in this thread really amaze me. It's pathetic, as if some don't want it to work. They've already made up their minds. One of the main reasons I will not be back to MDS any time soon. Way too many armchair experts here. I've had my fill.

My own words.

Somewhere along the lines, this thread became a "Prove to me it works" thread, which was never my purpose for writing it. I still hold that the HECS does work to some extent, but more so on game that hasn't been 'urbanized'. A doe around here sees a big blob up in a tree doesn't need an electric impulse to tell her there's a hunter up there. Her educated eyes/brain will.

We should probably put this thread to rest, but that's not up to me. :)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Outrider, in response to the OP, I'd vote No - not cheating. However, I'm still wearing pre-millennial tech gear and don't feel handicapped at all.

Some years back I was hunting in the tug hill region after a late work night that ended a few hours before daylight. Drove to a state park still in uniform and hopped into an old MOPP suit and mukluks, hiked to a spot I knew well, and took a seat against an old stump. No blind, but was wearing a head net. Had a large herd walk past (from head-on) just before daybreak. I was completely exposed. Could have reached out to either side and touched a few of them. With snow on the ground, I could make them out pretty well. Was careful not to move, tried not to even blink and when I did, I did so very slowly. They never alerted (no stops, stomps, vocalizations, nothing) and bedded down nearby. MOPP gear definitely helped reduce scent, though the gear I was wearing was long past its expiration. Any IR treatment was long gone too, as this gear had been gassed and laundered. My contrast with the snowy background could not have been higher (od vs white background).

Convinced after many similar encounters that controlling scent, sound, and movement are the most critical factors in remaining stealthy in the deer woods ... unless of course you happen to be hiding from a drone in the deer woods. :)

I had a very similar experience about 25 years ago in Garrett County.
    Sitting on a stump on a narrow ridge. Opening morning, dressed head to toe in a blaze orange cammo coverall. Snow on the ground. First hint of light, a fat doe comes strolling up the trail right to me. She notices me, walks over and gives me a sniff. Jumps back, bobs her head, stares, then just continues on by me, straight up the train.

BTW, my scent control techniques were more less very basic back then.

Encounters like that are what keeps returning to the deer woods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom