• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    its hypothetical anyway. Senate does not have 60 votes for this, let alone the House version.

Chris Cox on Cam and Company(12/7) stated they think there are 7 of the 8 Democrat votes needed to pass.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    With the 3 senators that have resigned, will 59 make the 2 thirds that are needed?

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I think that is right. They have 59 votes, one shy.

There are a number of Dem Senators that can be "worked on", the polls suggest Nelson in FL and McCaskill in MO are showing tossup races without a clear challenger; they were no votes last time and are in pro-gun states.
    If the GOP can start getting stuff done before the elections, then Schumer will be put in a box. Either let this through or risk several senate seats in a year where you're defending over 20 seats while the GOP is defending less than 10. Remember Kennedy is rumored to be retiring this year and Ginsburg is on borrowed time.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Which 3 have resigned? Franken did not actually resign. He said he would resign at a date to be named later. I think hes the only one. I think two house or maybe three members resigned.

He's up in 2018 and not very popular right now. I'd like him to stay ;)

You can see now why the Dems are so eager to get rid of him. He's likely to lose the seat.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Which would be irrelevant if states like VA stop issuing NR permits. VA and PA will absolutely use any excuse to stop issuing NR permits, the gov and AG are as anti-gun as Frosh. If people can get a permit in their home state and its valid everywhere, there is no longer any real reason for issuing NR permits (just like there is no reason to issue NR drivers licenses). Utah is not going to feel compelled to help out New Yorkers.

Perhaps Maine will decide to step in and fill the gap for NR permits, they are making a killing on NR trailer licenses.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    There are a number of Dem Senators that can be "worked on", the polls suggest Nelson in FL and McCaskill in MO are showing tossup races without a clear challenger; they were no votes last time and are in pro-gun states.
    If the GOP can start getting stuff done before the elections, then Schumer will be put in a box. Either let this through or risk several senate seats in a year where you're defending over 20 seats while the GOP is defending less than 10. Remember Kennedy is rumored to be retiring this year and Ginsburg is on borrowed time.

McCaskill and Nelson are a hard no. I am surprised about McCaskill, I thought she would soften on a number of issues like taxes ... but she is showing no sign of being interested in re-election. Missouri went +19% for Trump, but she seems to be voting like she is more concerned about getting primaried from the left. I think either way she is done. Either she moves to the right, but gets primaried by a leftist (who loses the general election), or stays the course and she herself loses the general election. There may be no way for her to thread the needle.

Vetted84

Nov 8, 2016
    If the Senate version passes I think states like VA will stop issuing NR permits. There is no point to them.

I either want the house version, or nothing.

I agree with you. Have posted the same thoughts in the other thread on the House bill. Any final bill that should pass is going to be tied to home state issued permits. NR permits will serve no purpose.

Unlike many here I am a realist, not a hopist.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    Think the Fix Nics and the Reciprocity bill need to be married. Before Trump would finishing signing this law CA , HI , MD or any of the infringing states will file a lawsuit to stop that but still keep what they want.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Think the Fix Nics and the Reciprocity bill need to be married. Before Trump would finishing signing this law CA , HI , MD or any of the infringing states will file a lawsuit to stop that but still keep what they want.

The bills are merged as passed by the House

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    The bills are merged as passed by the House

Not merged but if one part is ruled against the other part goes away. The Dems will vote for it otherwise knowing the liberal courts will kill the reciprocity part and leave the infringements in

GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016
    I agree with you. Have posted the same thoughts in the other thread on the House bill. Any final bill that should pass is going to be tied to home state issued permits. NR permits will serve no purpose.

Unlike many here I am a realist, not a hopist.

I don't think so. I think the final bill will just not allow carry in your own state with a NR permit from another state.

Peaceful John

May 31, 2011
    Any final bill that should pass is going to be tied to home state issued permits. NR permits will serve no purpose.

It's unclear to me how tying Reciprocity to home-state permits changes much. There is already state-to-state reciprocity, and with the careful addition of one or two NR licenses the licensee can carry (nearly) nationwide.

If the House version does not prevail, it seems an awful lot of political capital from normally sophisticated players is being wasted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom