• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EVOIXGSR

Straight Baller Status
    Mar 13, 2008
    Baltimore Co.
    Synopsis: Making it a misdemeanor to possess or use specified firearm ammunition during and in relation to the commission of a crime; and establishing penalties. Sponsored by Frosh and the other usual suspects. Apparently had it's 3rd reading on 3/20, but I haven't heard anything about it until just now while reading today's schedule.

Can anyone shed some light on any potential negative implications (assuming they exist) for your average law-abiding citizen?

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMain.aspx?pid=billpage&stab=01&id=SB0420&tab=subject3&ys=2013rs

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    it bans shotgun shells because they contain plastic

it bans steel bird shot because they aren't lead

it bans powdercoated cast lead bullets

it makes crime double illegal with an add on charge that will get dropped or nolle prosse'd

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    This is the bill some retard introduced banning "Teflon coated armor piercing cop-killer" bullets. The only thing I can see is it may ban possession of steel core ammo.

Fireball

Mar 5, 2013
    Rising Sun, md
    This is the bill some retard introduced banning "Teflon coated armor piercing cop-killer" bullets. The only thing I can see is it may ban possession of steel core ammo.

Only while possessing or using during a related crime, i.e. having some in your pocket while robbing the neighborhood liquor store.

I don't interpret it as restricted ammo being banned for lawful purposes.

EVOIXGSR

Straight Baller Status
    Mar 13, 2008
    Baltimore Co.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the law would only apply if you are in possession of the specified ammo during AND in relation to the commission of a crime. The way I read, it seems to only apply to those already committing a crime; but wouldn't this also be an add-on penalty IF SB281 goes through and IF you were to decide on non-compliance with the required registration?

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the law would only apply if you are in possession of the specified ammo during AND in relation to the commission of a crime. The way I read, it seems to only apply to those already committing a crime; but wouldn't this also be an add-on penalty IF SB281 goes through and IF you were to decide on non-compliance with the required registration?

Reads that way to me. Piling on effect. "Crime" is a mighty big net, especially in light of SB281.

** Moms 4 2A **

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville

What crime? Shooting ducks after hours is an offense. Is this enough of a crime?
    I am sorry, but I can't recall if this is cross filed in the house.

Texas2012

Jan 25, 2013
    Olney
    If I'm not mistaken, the original black talons were coated with molybdenum disulfide...not Teflon or plastic. Just an observation...

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    i hear one of the favorite crimes of the dnr is to charge hunters that lean a loaded gun against a car or truck with having a loaded firearm in a vehicle.

if that loaded firearm is a 12 gauge with a plastic shell... bam, extra charge.

I thought that email from omalley said he wasn't going after hunters?

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Just thinking if it is more important for our cause to be in house with our resources or in a hearing on the senate side being run by Frosh. Wondering if this thing (SB420) is actually going anywhere.?

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Just thinking if it is more important for our cause to be in house with our resources or in a hearing on the senate side being run by Frosh. Wondering if this thing (SB420) is actually going anywhere.?

We need eyes everywhere. My question still stands, since many of these offshoot bills didn't make Crossover, are they still in play?

** Moms 4 2A **

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    (I) COATED WITH OR CONTAINING, IN WHOLE OR IN PART, 2 POLYTETRAFLUORETHYLENE OR A SIMILAR PRODUCT;

well that could lead to anything. No definition of "similar".

(II) COATED WITH A PLASTIC SUBSTANCE AND CONTAINING A CORE OTHER THAN LEAD OR LEAD ALLOY;

That's any steel shot shotgun shell.

BUT....

(B) A PERSON MAY NOT POSSESS OR USE RESTRICTED FIREARM AMMUNITION DURING AND IN RELATION TO THE COMMISSION OF A CRIME.

It adds a crime ONLY if you commit a crime so it should not effect us if we are good. :D

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD

INAL, but aren't they already committing a crime for a person to be charges in relation to this crime?

For supposedly smart people, Lawyers can be complete idiots with no common sense at all, yet they lecture us on "common sense solutions."

Hey Maryland, get a clue. Restrictive gun laws haven't worked ANYWHERE in the US. We aren't an island nation the size of Virginia. You will never get rid of all the guns here.

Here is a law I propose: enact a Constitutional Carry law, and just to set your mind at ease out a 10 year subset in it. If violent crime doesn't drop by 20% in that 10 years, the law expires. If it does decrease state-wide by 20% or more, it is automatically made permanent. That way, if our idea doesn't work, you don't have to go they the mess to repeal it. If it does, we get a safer state and don't have to worry about you taking CC away from us.

Elliotte

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2011
    Loudoun County VA
    i hear one of the favorite crimes of the dnr is to charge hunters that lean a loaded gun against a car or truck with having a loaded firearm in a vehicle.

if that loaded firearm is a 12 gauge with a plastic shell... bam, extra charge.

I thought that email from omalley said he wasn't going after hunters?

It doesn't even have to be loaded in the gun, just in your possession at the time you commit the "crime".

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    We need eyes everywhere. My question still stands, since many of these offshoot bills didn't make Crossover, are they still in play?

** Moms 4 2A **

If they didn't make the crossover, then they are dead. They need to be passed by both legislative bodies in order to make it to the governor to be signed into law.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom