• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    if anyone here has thought about trying the ozonics ozone machine but was skeptical/nervous about plunking down 4 bills on a 'magical' gadget, I am here to tell you it works.

I used one for the first time this season with great results. the deer, when entering your scent cone, will smell the ozone and react to it wit curiosity but will not smell you. I witnessed this time and again in the woods this year. on the last day of my 'season' this year, I had a group of seven does feed towards me as they were heading to their beds. the lead doe, matriarch, caught my movement at 12 yds. so she halted the group. they were directly down wind at 12 yds! she looked, stared, sniffed for 15 minutes but, could not pick me up. eventually, they fed off in a different direction but stayed in the area and bedded not far from me.

will deer eventually be educated to the ozone? possibly. do you need to continue you other scent control tactics? absolutely.

the big draw back, cost. they start at $400 but, I found mine on ebay for$350. don't waste the extra dough on the camo version. the rechargeable battery will last five or so hours. good enough for a morning hunt. they also sell an extended life battery that will last all day for around $120

it's a lot to throw down on a gadget, but to some of us sick deer hunters, it's just the cost of doing business.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    I have been wondering about those things for some time now and if they were a joke or not. Just can't get myself to pay that much for something like that.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have been wondering about those things for some time now and if they were a joke or not. Just can't get myself to pay that much for something like that.

that's why there're for the hunter who has just about everything. it was a big help to me because the farm I hunt is almost unhuntable with an east wind. the most dominant wind there? east.
    the whole reason for this post was to relate my experience with the product, good or bad, for the betterment of the other hunters who follow this forum. that last day's encounter with the does confirmed to me that this product has won its place in my deer hunting arsenal. and BTW, it's light as a feather.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    Eh, I dont see the need to drop 4 bills and have something else to lug into the stand every time. I've killed deer at 8 yards before on the ground. Wash my clothes in scent free detergent and thats all I ever do.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Ive considered trying it...since they are real edgy around where I hunt. I may try one next year. Thanks for unbiased review though!

glad to see your voice again. if you got the scratch, it's well worth it...and it's light as a feather.:thumbsup:

MeatGrinder

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2013
    MoCo, Eastern edge
    That is a good review. It looks gimmicky to me and I am leery of all the product placement junk I see on the assorted hunting shows.

Someone without a vested interest has a lot more credibility.

MG

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Eh, I dont see the need to drop 4 bills and have something else to lug into the stand every time. I've killed deer at 8 yards before on the ground. Wash my clothes in scent free detergent and thats all I ever do.

never heard a deer hunter say they were scent-free enough....

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Think it'll work with coyotes too?

I, personally, don't have any yote experience. from what I've seen on TV, they seem to react to sound(calling) in more of a direct line of sight/sound fashion. but, that probably all depends on pressure, topography etc. couldn't hurt, though.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I, personally, don't have any yote experience. from what I've seen on TV, they seem to react to sound(calling) in more of a direct line of sight/sound fashion. but, that probably all depends on pressure, topography etc. couldn't hurt, though.

I tried out a RuffiDog Coaxer call this Fall and followed up with a scratching turkey call. Coyotes came running close behind me in the woods. I was hunting deer though and my ground blind was facing towards an open pathway towards an open field. The coyotes were probably about 20 yards from me. I haven't been back there again.
    In this situation I think the Ozonics might help.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Must have started this thread just after shoulder surgery(lack of caps, typing one handed).

One thing you will notice with these ozonics thingies is when deer get real close, they do smell the ozone itself. They sometimes react negatively to it. Some deer will sniff for a while, trying to figure out what the hell they're smelling. Sometimes they turn and walk away. Other times they flick their tail and keep walking. Generally speaking, this will occur well within bow range.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I had the opportunity to get one this season, just got it a couple of weeks ago and I'm anxious to get some time in the stand (bowhunting) to test it out. Been a crazy week or two, so I'm slacking, but I'll let you know how it works for me.

I have a couple of stands that I like to hunt where the deer can appear from any direction, so the wind can be an issue often times. I can't wait to see how it may affect them.

I am also going to set it up to 'wash' my clothes before I pack them up to head out to hunt. Basically, treat them briefly with ozone to remove scents, instead of washing them every time I wear them hunting. I'll then pack em in a scent-proof bag til I get to my property and get dressed.

I know that ozone will remove odors, but I'm anxious to test it on our deer that I have a lot of experience with. I hunt stands and ground blinds in all kinds of weather, curious to see how it works. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom