• rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Interview Info From A Very Close Friend

His e-mail to me:

Don-

I got a call a few weeks ago and a Trooper spoke with (wife's name) and one of her character references, asked me a few simple questions about her personally.

Was she mentally and emotionally stable, did she know how to safely handle a firearm, etc. She also heard from our neighbors listed as references that they were contacted.

Nothing was asked of me about my application.

Today, I received a call from a Trooper Yates asking me to come to the Glen Burnie Barracks for an “interview”. She asked if I had had the MD State Safety Training.

My answer was NO, I had met the qualification as a Veteran with combat action and also had a Utah Carry Permit. I had been an “Expert” NRA ranked Bullseye shooter. (I did not mention my IPSC competition experience.)

She asked if I was familiar with MD Gun Laws. I answered that I was familiar with transporting both firearm and ammo, etc.

My interview is next Wednesday at 10AM. She indicated that I needed to know the gun laws.

My friend and wife submitted their application February on 6th.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    His e-mail to me:

Don-

I got a call a few weeks ago and a Trooper spoke with (wife's name) and one of her character references, asked me a few simple questions about her personally.

Was she mentally and emotionally stable, did she know how to safely handle a firearm, etc. She also heard from our neighbors listed as references that they were contacted.

Today, I received a call from a Trooper Yates asking me to come to the Glen Burnie Barracks for an “interview”. She asked if I had had the MD State Safety Training.

My answer was NO, I had met the qualification as a Veteran with combat action and also had a Utah Carry Permit. I had been an “Expert” NRA ranked Bullseye shooter. (I did not mention my IPSC competition experience.)

She asked if I was familiar with MD Gun Laws. I answered that I was familiar with transporting both firearm and ammo, etc.

My interview is next Wednesday at 10AM. She indicated that I needed to know the gun laws.

Interesting information.. Thanks.:thumbsup:

RobSky

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Anne Arundel
    His e-mail to me:

Don-

I guess I better brush up on MD gun laws, especially since I am applying for a permit and have an interview scheduled for Weds.

Just trying to be free
    Jan 21, 2012
    It appears from those of us who have been interviewed, there are the basic questions and then there are some the interviewers are adding in, like the "Do you know the MD gun laws", or "how many guns do you own"

Since some of us have been interviewed by troopers from the same barracks but by different troopers, there doesn't seem to be a set or script of questions other than the ones related to what is on Page 7 of the app. Seems weird to me---

I was re-asked about my answers on all questions on Page 7
    I was asked about any training I have had
    I was asked about my employment (how long I have been there)
    I was asked to show my DL to prove I was me
    I was asked if I was married, when I said no, that was it. Did not care that I had a GF
    I was asked if I drink and to what level (none, social, heavy)
    I was asked if I do illegal drugs
    I was asked about my Military service

I was NOT asked about guns, or ownership (how many, kind etc.)
    I was NOT asked about knowing laws
    I was NOT asked about my GF contact info
    I was NOT asked about my employer contact info

So my point is, it appears it is left up to the trooper doing the interview and they are either given the latitude to add in questions or are just doing it.

Mr H

Banana'd
    At least two of my references were called today (one of them is also my boss)... basic summary seems to be...

How long I have know you,
    answer 12-13 years

Asked if you had any drug or alcohol problems that I am aware of
    answer, No

Asked if you ever had any been arrested that I'm aware of,
    answer, No

Asked if you have had any domestic problems that I'm aware of,
    answer, No

Asked if you had a temper problem that I'm aware of,
    answer, No

Asked if there was any reason why you should not carry a gun that I'm aware of,
    answer, No.

The two folks I talked to said the Trooper was polite, businesslike, yet pleasant. My boss said she sounded cute (but I think he was still a touch hung over from anesthesia!!)

No muss, no fuss, I suppose.

m0bas

Feb 26, 2012
    Interview setup at Glen Burnie Barracks for Tuesday the 17th, ref's contacted shortly after setting up the interview, pretty much the same questions were asked as stated here and in other threads.

MDSP received my app 3/13.

Atlasarmory

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    Trooper M did my interview today at Aviation boulevard barracks. Theses are the questions I can remember.

QUESTION Answer
    Do you drink alcohol ----------------------Yes Rarely
    Do you use drugs--------------------------No
    What firearm do you plan to carry-------Kahr cw45
    Do you have any training-----------------No, I belong to an indoor range I reload and
    regularly fire 300-500 rounds a month.
    Are you married----------------------------No
    Do you have a girl friend you live with--Yes

My Girlfriend came with me to the interview and the Trooper asked to speak to her for a few minuets before we left. Also in regards to how frequently I went to the range the Trooper looked mildly interested perhaps at a personal level but did not comment further. He then stated he processes the app checks the references then packs it up and sends it on down the line "I'm paraphrasing" And his involvement in the process ends at that point. When I told him what firearm I would carry he told me they would be switching over to Glock from Bretta soon. The trooper was very professional and I in no way felt pressured or intimidated by the questioning or interview process in general. Overall a very pleasant experience I felt as if I was being taken seriously and treated respectfully.:thumbsup:

gfmgp

Oct 19, 2010
    I had my interview today in Cumberland/Lavale. The trooper was very respectful . Ask what gun I plan to Cary if I get a permit. and ask every question that was on the app. Said that she would have my app sent down state for follow up. She didn't know how the apps are going to be handled from there. She called and talked to my wife and 2 of my refercenes later in the afternoon . ask what training I had with fire arms.

LongTom

Jan 13, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    I was thinking I would turn on my phone and record the interview when I go as well. Just make sure you ask permission first as it is is illegal in MD to record a conversation unless both parties agree. Make sure you get them to agree a second time once you start the recording to get it on record.

Not true. That was also over-ruled by a federal judge. The boy who was facing 16 years for accidentally recording a traffic stop won his case. You may record the police ANYWHERE that they do not have a "reasonable expectation of privacy," for example: a busy road, police department, or the grocery store. You may not record someone in their private home in a way that is covert (unless you are the government, in which case you can record whatever you want, steal emails, redirect text messages, spy on private phone calls, track cell phones, and x-ray your car from the highway, all without a warrant)

ECPDefense

Jun 30, 2010
    Cecil-Tucky
    16-Apr-12: Had my FTF interview with MSP trooper this morning at my house. The trooper arrived promptly and was very nice and respectful.

He basically went back over each of the answers on my application with the following additional questions.

Do I have training. I answered military, hunter safety course, and my own range time each month.

Do I have any specific threats right now against me. I answered no specific threats.

Have I applied for any other permits. Yes, and showed him my Florida permit which he wrote down the information off of it.

Do I have a handgun I plan to carry. Glock 23
    What caliber is that? .40

Did I have to take training to purchase the handgun? No, because I am former military with a DD214 stating I am honorably discharged. He then stated he didn’t know that. He said he thought you had to take some online course.

He asked if I had any questions and that he would be sending everything back down to licensing this week. Other than that he said it was pleasure meeting me, played with my dog on the way out of the house, and said “have a great day”.

csanc123

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Hi, folks, I am new here. I am wondering if most of members in this forum are former military or law enforcement personnel?

Welcome aboard...

Are you asking this relative to the handgun permit process or in general? There are all manner of folks on this board...some leo's, some not. Some former military..some not. Some current military....some not...

pooh67br

Mar 29, 2012
    Cecil County
    Welcome aboard...

Are you asking this relative to the handgun permit process or in general? There are all manner of folks on this board...some leo's, some not. Some former military..some not. Some current military....some not...

I am just curious.
    Actuall, I even don't have my own gun yet. I would like buy a Glock G-17 recently. I am doing some research now. any advice on this gun? Is Gen4 better than Gen3?, Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom