• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Trying to decide between these for a trunk gun.

I have both- here is my opinion:

MRO is much lighter and more compact, but with a similar field of view to the PRO. It's built to the same standards as the ACOG's and so is practically bombproof.

The PRO is much better in transitioning from low to high light situations...The MRO on setting 3 is great inside but if I transition to outside I can no longer see the reticle, and need to up it by 1 setting. When I come back inside I need to turn it down because it's too bright. This is just my personal experience and I am also colorblind, so YMMV. I've tried both the Green and Red dot MRO and had the same experience with each.

The PRO is visible between low and high light at almost all settings. My conclusion is that the dot on the PRO is superior by a pretty wide margin. PRO battery life is also about 3x better at comparable settings.

The MRO i bought for a light home defense build, so weight and size has taken priority.

Another thing to consider is the PRO comes with flip up dust covers, which will help keep everything clean while in the trunk.

If it were me I would choose the PRO for a trunk gun.

Last edited:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Hvae had similar experiences, the MRO is smaller, but the PRO has a better dot, and IMO better glass. The MRO has a more distinct bluish tint to it, where the PRO is almost clear. Only gripe with the PRO is the giant knob on the mount, put a QD lever mounton mine.

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    I have both but I would pick the MRO. The MRO has better mounting options, thinner silhouette, uses a more common battery, it's lighter, has better battery life and it has a wider FOV. Both are good I just prefer the MRO.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I have both but I would pick the MRO. The MRO has better mounting options, thinner silhouette, uses a more common battery, it's lighter, has better battery life and it has a wider FOV. Both are good I just prefer the MRO.

I too prefer the MRO in every way, however I can't get over that I can't see the dot optimally in both low and high light situations. I just don't have that issue with the PRO. This is just my personal experience though.

Also, the bluish tint experienced in the MRO's is gone as a part of a silent upgrade. Serial numbers 90K plus are the new and improved ones. Any one that you find at a retailer will be the newer serial numbers.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I have used both and prefer the red dot version of the MRO over the aimpoint pro. I have astigmatism though, and none of the aimpoint red dots look as good to me as the comparable trijicon products look. I don't have any problems transitioning from light to dark or vice versa on setting 3 or 4 on the MRO. 2 and 5 don't work for that though.

That said, either would suit your needs just fine as long as you keep a stock of the batteries they use handy. My recommended setup for a truck rifle/trunk gun is preferred optic with a QD mount and decent BUIS. That way if the optic gets so messy or broken that you can't even look through it, you can pull it off and still use irons.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Hvae had similar experiences, the MRO is smaller, but the PRO has a better dot, and IMO better glass. The MRO has a more distinct bluish tint to it, where the PRO is almost clear. Only gripe with the PRO is the giant knob on the mount, put a QD lever mounton mine.

How did you do that? I have a few of them and hate that damn knob.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I too prefer the MRO in every way, however I can't get over that I can't see the dot optimally in both low and high light situations. I just don't have that issue with the PRO. This is just my personal experience though.

Also, the bluish tint experienced in the MRO's is gone as a part of a silent upgrade. Serial numbers 90K plus are the new and improved ones. Any one that you find at a retailer will be the newer serial numbers.

Good to know, my experience is with the older MROs, really blue tint, a bit more paralax/shift when moving your head around, and the dot seemed to have a softer color, wasn't really impressed. I really like a clear and flat image in red dots, the PRO, and in fact most Aimpoints seem to be the best of the reflex sights, almost like EoTechs having the distortion free "clear piece of glass" look. Might have to give the MROs another look if they have improved.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'm picking between these two as the prices are similar and have good reputations. I used to own an aimpoint and I liked the battery life. I'm going to try to fondle the MRO and check it out.

I do have astigmatism, but it didn't bother me with the aimpoint. This is a tough decision.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    One thing I'm concerned about is how good the batteries will be after being in the cold over the winter and the heat over the summer.

Why use such expensive optics on something you are going to toss in your trunk? How about a Vortex or even a Holosun?

Because I want it to work when I need it. I've had Vortex crap out on me during a match, and I have no faith in Holosun or any other cheap Chinese optics to work when I need it to. Aimpoint and Trijicon have earned reputations from Military use.

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    Because I want it to work when I need it. I've had Vortex crap out on me during a match, and I have no faith in Holosun or any other cheap Chinese optics to work when I need it to. Aimpoint and Trijicon have earned reputations from Military use.

I hear ya, I guess I've just never needed military grade optics since I retired from the military. Never tried a Holosun just heard they were pretty good for civilian levels abuse. I do have a Vortex Spitfire Prism that has an etched dot on the lens so in case the electronics fail you can still run your gun.

Anyways, I wasn't bad mouthing Aimpoint or Trijicon they're both great just out of my price range. I hope you enjoy whichever one you choose.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I have a few aimpoint Pros.....and I havent read thru all the other posts....but my experience is the aimpoint pro is a great optic EXCEPT it doesn't have the battery life claimed....they seem to go dead after being on for 6 to 8 months where you can leave an aimpoint comp m4 on for years....just me 2 cents

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    I know tons of folks who have started to defect from either of these 2, and move over to a sig romeo 5 for less than half the cost on an XDR model and with 2 mounts and a 1/3 of the cost when going with a standard romeo 5 :)

I like my MRO ALOT- but its certainly not 3 times as a romeo 5, or twice the XDR Model.

Random thoughts :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom