• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joma352

Jan 4, 2018
    Lower Eastern Shore
    With the upcoming muzzleloader and firearms season I have started prepping my hunting spot. I hunt out of a typical ground box blind and the other day I went to set off a bug bomb in it and had a small snake hiding in the insulation. I am not terrified of snakes but would prefer I be hunting alone so does anyone have any tips to keep snakes out of a blind?
    I've seen that snake repellent pellets but not sure the legitimacy of them and not sure how the deer would react to it

Thanks,
    Joe

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Right so deer are going to smell the moth balls and bug bomb.

99% of snakes you see are completely harmless. Most likely a rat snake and it will fend off other critters. Like the bugs. It will probably leave when you take up residence or eliminate its food (again, the bugs).

Personally I'd leave the bugs, the snake, and ensure the blind smelled "natural".

If you dont like bugs or snakes, might I suggest Giant or Safeway?

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    I've never had a snake in the blind, but several years ago I was up in Maine, black bear hunting when a big beautiful jet black and snow white skunk came ambling by the bait barrel. He moved on, out of sight and a minute or two later, I hear him (or something!) crunching towards the blind. Then I see his shadow. Then I see the tent edge (with no floor, of course) pushing in. Then he leaves (I thought). Then I look down, and I see a little black button nose poking in at the bottom edge of the blind zipper!!!!!!!!

He leaves without coming in, most likely because I was hyperventilating in fear/dread, of what my crummy options were about to be. The raspy, wheezing noise coming from me probably scared him off just enough.
    Yeah, I could cap his butt, what's the last thing a skunk does in his death spasm?? I didn't see a bear that evening...

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Haha ! Them suckers will wonder right in your house if you get in the habit of leaving the door open. That’s funny.
    Last year I was walking out and bumped into one coming out of the beans. Luckily he was preoccupied or had other things on his mind, or maybe just had a little mercy on me.

joma352

Jan 4, 2018
    Lower Eastern Shore
    The bug bombs never seem to bother the deer. I set one off the other day and have pictures on my game camera of deer 10 yards in front of the blind just hours later

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom