• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    I have two younger boys 3 and 5. My 5 year old is excited to get into the woods this year so I want to get him some hunting gear but also don't want to spend top dollar as he will only wear it for 1 maybe 2 years. I will get a second use with the 3 year old once he grows into it as well.

I looked at Wal-Mart to find a top layer camo pants and jacket but they didn't have anything. I checked amazon and ebay but everything looks really cheap price and quality or the nice stuff is expensive. I plan on taking them to Bass Pro tomorrow to look for some things. I also checked facebook and craigslist with not much luck on his size.

He will be hunting with me in a ground blind or my tree stand which is an elevated box blind (no top). So he may not need too much actual camo so I may be able to double some snow suit/snow boots as hunting gear.

Right now all he has camo wise is a ball cap and long sleeve shirt. Just looking to see what you guys have used in the past.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    My kids get hand me downs and Walmart hunting clothes until they slow down their growing.

If you are in a ground blind anything black or brown would work. When I hunt out of my ground blind everything I wear is black.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I’d just find some cheap camo. Plenty of guys hunted with jeans and flannel shirts and do just fine for decades...

Camo I am sure does help (and I wear it). With my kids...meh. And used army camo jackets and pants from goodwill or wherever. The kind of stuff you would find at Walmart originally.

If they are hunting with me it’s sitting in a ground blind right now.

weeman

Oct 2, 2009
    Walmart has walls brand bibs and coats. They have a stitch you can cut out to expand pants or sleeves.

We got camo for my boy because he loves it. He also wears them for farm work and in the snow.

We bought bigger. Between that and the built in expansion, they have lasted a couple of seasons.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    It all depends on the weather. My kids went dove hunting with me the first week and they had a camo t-shirt, pants, and whatever shoes they wanted to wear. We did just fine. When my then 8 year old, now 10 year old, started coming waterfowling with me, I went out and spent $200 clothing for him. Got him a Drake combo jacket and pants for something like $150 brand new on e-bay. Got him some Rocky insulated boots. Got him some super duper long john set from Walmart that I forget the name of it because my wife is the one that knew about it and ordered it. All in all, I think I spent $200 total and he was out there hunting with me in November and December without any complaints whatsoever about being cold. Oh yeah, also got some of the Zippo hand warmers and we both used one in our pocket. My now 6 year old will probably use that camo. In fact, I am pretty certain that she will. She is already shooting my Beretta A400 Action 28 gauge by herself and bugging me about going waterfowling, deer hunting, and taking the hunter safety course.

Attachments

• MdShooters152.jpg
      MdShooters152.jpg
      68.1 KB · Views: 164
    • MdShooters153.jpg
      MdShooters153.jpg
      129.7 KB · Views: 161

Veblen

Feb 16, 2018
    MoCo
    Unless your kids have unusual self-control / restraint, I recommend waiting a few seasons. As we all know, hunting requires silence. In my experience, children are incapable of being quiet for more than two minutes, if you are lucky, and less if motionlessness is required. I re-learned this lesson the hard way, a few weeks ago.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Unless your kids have unusual self-control / restraint, I recommend waiting a few seasons. As we all know, hunting requires silence. In my experience, children are incapable of being quiet for more than two minutes, if you are lucky, and less if motionlessness is required. I re-learned this lesson the hard way, a few weeks ago.

Took my 10 year old and 6 year old dove hunting, somewhat spur of the moment on Saturday from 4 to 6. 10 year old killed his first bird and my 6 year old is going nuts about getting her hunting license.

Yes, not a good idea to take them out on a deer stand bow hunting for 8 hours at a time, but there are plenty of ways to take kids hunting. I would prefer to go hunting with my kids every day of the week and twice on Sunday, versus sitting in a tree stand all day by myself. Before kids, the peace and quiet of the tree stand was great.

Edit to add: I knocked down 6 birds that afternoon and found 5. My daughter was on one side of me and my son on the other side. Should have had 10+ in the bag, but my shooting left a lot to be desired. Was just exhausted from coaching and watching soccer games that morning/afternoon.

Attachments

• MdShooters216.jpg
      MdShooters216.jpg
      87.3 KB · Views: 137

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    I went to bass pro on Friday and did not find anything that would fit them properly and they were priced higher than I was looking to pay, I did pick them up a hunting pack for cheap that they can keep their stuff in. I stopped at the wally world on quarterfield on the way home because my local walmart doesnt carry much and was able to find a pair of camo pants for my oldest that were adjustable and reasonable. I ended up picking up two pair of army style camo pants in the kids section that will fit better and give them the hunting look which is more what I am going for since its more for them to get excited about it. I likely wont take my youngest and with the oldest we will be in a ground blind for an hour or two most likely with no expectations. It is more to just get them in the woods because they are excited. If by some change we see anything, it will be a bonus. They have shown an interest and I am willing to give it a try. Worst case I spend a few hours with my excited 5 year old, he is very calm for a 5 year old and has picked up a lot about hunting by just asking me questions, He found a rub on his own last year in the woods that I missed when I had him and his brother out just walking the woods looking for deer. Best case it helps him learn and become a better hunter in the long run.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I went to bass pro on Friday and did not find anything that would fit them properly and they were priced higher than I was looking to pay, I did pick them up a hunting pack for cheap that they can keep their stuff in. I stopped at the wally world on quarterfield on the way home because my local walmart doesnt carry much and was able to find a pair of camo pants for my oldest that were adjustable and reasonable. I ended up picking up two pair of army style camo pants in the kids section that will fit better and give them the hunting look which is more what I am going for since its more for them to get excited about it. I likely wont take my youngest and with the oldest we will be in a ground blind for an hour or two most likely with no expectations. It is more to just get them in the woods because they are excited. If by some change we see anything, it will be a bonus. They have shown an interest and I am willing to give it a try. Worst case I spend a few hours with my excited 5 year old, he is very calm for a 5 year old and has picked up a lot about hunting by just asking me questions, He found a rub on his own last year in the woods that I missed when I had him and his brother out just walking the woods looking for deer. Best case it helps him learn and become a better hunter in the long run.

Those t-shirts they are were wearing the other day to dove hunt are t-shirts that I used to wear when I was smaller/thinner. The boots I bought for my son at the Gainesville Cabela's. As I already mentioned, I bought his Drake waterfowl gear off of e-bay because 1) the selection at Bass Pro was ZERO for kids waterfowl gear and the selection at Cabela's in Gainesville was only barely above ZERO. I could have mail ordered the stuff from Cabela's, but e-bay was a lot cheaper for new with tags.

Like your 5 year old, my 10 year old and 6 year old have shown an interest in hunting since they were about 3, maybe 4. The twelve year old, barely at all, and she never comes along hunting or shooting, but she does like fishing and crabbing. Here are some pics of my 10 year old when he was 4. My wife would drive him to the field when we were close to being finished for the morning and he would stay in the blind with me for 10 to 15 minutes, shoot the gun a little, and then help me pick up decoys. You are on the right track. Make the duration short and the time exciting at this age, and they will be out hunting with you for a long time. I was 5 the first time I went dove hunting with my dad as a "retriever".

Attachments

• MdShooters32.jpg
      MdShooters32.jpg
      91.2 KB · Views: 90
    • MdShooters33.jpg
      MdShooters33.jpg
      83.5 KB · Views: 94

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Eldersburg Wal Mart has two brand new pair of frog togg hip waders size 8 in the clearance section. $29.99 normally $60

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Movement is your give away. Don't worry about camo if the youngster can't sit still.
    I came here to say something similar. Clothing in solid grey, brown, or dark tan would help conceal movement better than camo.

And as SummitCnty said, black if in a hub blind.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom