• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    I am considering purchasing a fishing kayak, first purchase of such a thing and I am a bit lazy with searching lol

I am a larger person, 6ft and 280ish (hover around there, down 8 or so up 5 or so sometimes) I figure extra gear and fishing tackle and such are another 30ish pounds.

Would a 9.5ft Kayak with a 325pound "rated" capacity be cutting it too close? Or is there some overhead there in the capacity rating usually?

Where can I get info on what lakes/etc I would be allowed to use them in if I dont see anything posted at the lakes/etc nor on thier websites (mncppc/pgparks/etc)?

Any state/etc regulations on required gear or any kind of license/"courses" needed? I have a good life vest already. I know I need a paddle.

Any suggestions on where to shop for one? I have looked at Dicks (and plan to check BassPro and Cabelas), but prefer not to buy at Dicks if I have another viable option somewhat local (MD/VA/DE/Southern-PA)

Suggestions for any extra gear?

Thanks for any suggestions/etc

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    First question: Sit ON or Sit IN?

My opinion, Sit on's are easier to get in and out of, sit ins are easier to control in rapids/moving water. For fishing on lakes or ponds I'd go for a sit on model.

There's no registration or training coursed needed to operate a kayak.
    In PA if you use a PA Fisheries boat ramp you have to buy a sticker/permit. I just drop mine in along the bank.

I saw some for sale at Tractor Supply of all places!

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Get at least a 12’ kayak.

Also when JohnMD responds to this thread do whatever he says.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    9.5 ft can be handy in certain situations but is really too short if you plan on covering any water.

Buy used.

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    From everything I read, and people I know that got 10’, go longer. The shorter ones don’t track as well.

I watched online for a used one for about a year, and did a bunch of research. Ended up finding an Ocean Kayak Big Game2 sit on top kayak this spring. I really like it for several reasons. It’s over 12’, has a good weight capacity, and is wide, so it’s stable. It’s also not 100+lbs, at about 83lbs with no gear.

Transport is a big issue. I got the Boondox hitch extender last year for my truck, but also got the Thule bed racks used online for taking it on camping trips when the bed is full of gear. I can get this kayak on and off of the high racks myself, but I’m very thankful it’s not any heavier. Don’t use ratcheting straps as you can damage the kayak if you crank it down too hard.

It also came with the rudder, and I find that is a huge help trying to steer it. Also has the anchor, and that’s very helpful for fishing. Just splurged and got the Garmin Echomap 73 fishfinder and it’s really a game changer for fishing. I know the bottom on the rivers I fish, but I’ve learned so much fishing lakes in just a few trips so far.

Now as the water and air cool, I’m learning what’s the best way to dress. Was out last week till after dark and got a little chilly, noticed the water temp felt warm at 71, didn’t realize till I got back to the truck the air temp was 55. Being wet from paddling wasn’t helping.

Would love to get a yak with pedals for out on the lake, or if I ever get it in saltwater, but for now this one is great.

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    A great thing about kayaking is that I can load up everything in a couple minutes, going and coming home. Fishing is basically a matter of what's close to where ever you are. And for longer trips there is so much less to haul than a boat, and still be able to get on the water.

For your size, I would definitely go bigger. Longer and wider will provide more stability and load capability.

With being under 16', and non powered, there are not a lot of rules of regs. You should always have a vest, and in PA I have to have a whistle, and some sort of hand light if I'm out after dark. And a launch permit.

As to extra gear, a milk crate to put gear in, a dry bag is nice to keep extra clothes dry, I keep any loose gear on a carabiner leash or rope in case of flipping, and you have to be a little selective with tackle. I have a few small carriers, instead of taking big tackle boxes. You can search YouTube on how to make a lid for on top of the crate so you don't loose things. I also take a high strength magnet in case I would drop something metal.

Getting out on the water is a big learning experience, of how to set things up for how you like it, and are most comfortable. Good luck!

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    I am considering purchasing a fishing kayak, first purchase of such a thing and I am a bit lazy with searching lol

I am a larger person, 6ft and 280ish (hover around there, down 8 or so up 5 or so sometimes) I figure extra gear and fishing tackle and such are another 30ish pounds.

Would a 9.5ft Kayak with a 325pound "rated" capacity be cutting it too close? Or is there some overhead there in the capacity rating usually?

Where can I get info on what lakes/etc I would be allowed to use them in if I dont see anything posted at the lakes/etc nor on thier websites (mncppc/pgparks/etc)?

Any state/etc regulations on required gear or any kind of license/"courses" needed? I have a good life vest already. I know I need a paddle.

Any suggestions on where to shop for one? I have looked at Dicks (and plan to check BassPro and Cabelas), but prefer not to buy at Dicks if I have another viable option somewhat local (MD/VA/DE/Southern-PA)

Suggestions for any extra gear?

Thanks for any suggestions/etc

Depending on your budget, check this out

https://www.seaeagle.com/InflatableFishingSkiffs/FSK16

Might be going overboard if you are just doing small lakesand ponds but to venture out a little further and portability you cant beat this.

Nay_sayer

May 30, 2013
    Lothian, MD
    Go with a 12’. You’ll be much happier. The shorter the yak the worse they track. And yes, 325 lb rating is cutting it too close. Your gunwales will be almost at the waters surface and maneuvering and stability will suck. You’ll wear yourself out trying to paddle anywhere. Most 12’ kayaks have at least a 350 lb capacity or look at Jackson Kayaks or the Native Slayer series as they have some of the highest weight capacities.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    If you are 280 I would go for a kayak that is about 400 - 450# or so. You never stated how much you plan to spend. If you are looking at a 9.5' kayak, I am thinking you are trying to stay cheap. Cheap normally doesn't have a good seat and is going to hurt you a couple of hours out fishing.

On a paddle, a $50 dicks paddle will work. IMO, once you learn how to paddle and do torso rotation you strain the aluminum shafts. One with a fiberglass shaft if the best long term value. ABS blades are toughest and fiberglass lightest. I have a Bending branches Angler classic that is my favorite. I can use it as a push pole and it is tough for loading while paddling. I have a fancy carbon shaft fiberglass paddle I won and a 10mph wind will try and blow it off the kayak on the chesapeake. It can be too light sometimes.

I would recommend something at least the size of the Pescador Pro 12. It has a capacity of 375 and I would say that is close. Water will start coming up through the scupper holes and such. It has a nice seat. I am under 210 and use a Ride 135 as too much capacity is not bad!! To understand capacity, you can use a kayak that is under capacity. It will float, but water will displace higher, you'll get wet AND the chines are underwater. The chines affect stability and you will lose most of this stability by exceeding the capacity. That is how you'll be affected by not getting a kayak with enough capacity.

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    Thanks for all the info above, I am taking it all in.

Forgot about budget, would like to stay under $500 or so, but can stretch to $1000 or so. I dont plan to use it a lot, but would like to have it for those times when bank fishing is annoying or impossible (weeded over edges or no real bank access and such)

I drive (most of the time) a 2014 Ford Escape and plan to use a roof rack to haul it around. Its not the longest car out there is the main reason I was looking at a 9.5ft one, a 12 ft should fit but definately overhang the front/back more.

Was/am seriously considering an inflatable one (for storage sake) but am wary of them as a lot of places I fish have a lot trees/branches underwater. No idea how tough they are against that kind of situation.

I will probably buy one early in 2020 but if I can get a deal before then I will get one.

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    Thanks for all the info above, I am taking it all in.

Forgot about budget, would like to stay under $500 or so, but can stretch to $1000 or so.

Mine had been listed at $1000 before I saw it, then it was relisted at 900, so I offered 800 and got it for that. Watch Facebook marketplace and use Search Tempest to browse Craiglist. With not being in a hurry, you should find something nice in your price range. A lot of them have a paddle and vest included.

One thing that's been touched on is the seat. The metal frame/cloth mesh seats are so much more comfortable than the molded in seats. Spending hours in the better seat isn't bad. I really wouldn't want to spend that time on one of those hard molded in seats. The metal frame seats are usually adjustable height wise, and removable too if you want to use them along the riverbank.

Good luck, and happy fishing!

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Field and stream shadow caster in Winchester VA $600 on FB market place.

Not sure how to link it here.
    70830478_10156469813355924_8503907221694840832_n.jpg

Jackson Kraken up west of Phili for $500 and that is a steal. With a rudder!!
    70702407_10157236193215196_224375486749343744_n.jpg

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    Finally took the plunge, got a 12' Ascend H12 "Hybrid" at Bass Pro Shops, has a small bend in one of the cross supports that just visual, they took 10% off for that on top of the "sale" price.

Now to get all the necessary accessories and get it on the water someplace to try it out. Probably at Myrtle Grove its a shallow lake with decent boat ramp style access. Should be a good calm spot to get the feel of it.

A bit late but Thanks everyone who replied with info above.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    The water is warm but the air is getting cold right now. If you plan on spring fishing you better start looking for deals on protective gear. Cold water is no joke! I have been swimming twice while hunting and shocking is not the proper word for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom