How to Buy an AR at Chantilly Gun Show and bring home?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    RE the mags... If the dealer at the VA gun show knows you are a MD resident, and sells you a long gun with a mag >10, I think that's looking for a fight. The MSP recently had that memo out saying they object to selling to MD resident in MD and then shipping the mags over the state line for pickup. This is basically the same thing. Because the dealer knows he's basically shipping a mag to MD when he gives the MD resident the mag with the the gun.
    I'm being a little extreme with this, but I don't think it's ridiculous.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Not the same. Sale is in VA with a VA dealer. VA law applies. Sale in MD is different.

Shooter_Drew

Feb 2, 2018
    Well I had a great time at the show, spent almost 6 hours there. I ended up not buying a rifle but picked up some goodies and learned alo.

I found out the Ruger AR-556 MPR is not MD compliant.

Long story short I'm going to end up building an AR because I won't find a MD compliant AR with the parts or upgrades I want.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    RE the mags... If the dealer at the VA gun show knows you are a MD resident, and sells you a long gun with a mag >10, I think that's looking for a fight. The MSP recently had that memo out saying they object to selling to MD resident in MD and then shipping the mags over the state line for pickup. This is basically the same thing. Because the dealer knows he's basically shipping a mag to MD when he gives the MD resident the mag with the the gun.

So you make two separate transactions, each with their own receipt; one that clearly states rifle w/o mag, the other is a separate mag purchase. Legal and done.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Right idea, wrong law. VA dealers are federally prohibited from selling you banned rifles, and selling you a gun with a > 10rd mag is selling you a banned rifle (as it's considered part of the gun). It's not MD law somehow applying in VA.

You are correct that they should be able to take it out and sell it to you at a steep discount.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Right idea, wrong law. VA dealers are federally prohibited from selling you banned rifles, and selling you a gun with a > 10rd mag is selling you a banned rifle (as it's considered part of the gun). It's not MD law somehow applying in VA.

You are correct that they should be able to take it out and sell it to you at a steep discount.

Care to explain how a magazine is part of a banned rifle, if it is detachable? Realistically, the magazine is an accessory.

sleev-les

Gata Needs His Gat
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Care to explain how a magazine is part of a banned rifle, if it is detachable? Realistically, the magazine is an accessory.

Thats how I read it..

OP, glad you had a good time. I went Saturday and grabbed a Trijicon Accupoint TR25. Plus some mags for the ARs and a few for my MPX and a drum for my VEPR 12. Plus some pickles and jerky :D

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Here is the MSP advisory.

Based on this, IMO the decision to proceed is between the FFL and the buyer.

Attachments

• 10-16-2017+LD-FRU-17-010+High+Capacity+Mags+%281%29.pdf
      134.2 KB · Views: 79

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    So you make two separate transactions, each with their own receipt; one that clearly states rifle w/o mag, the other is a separate mag purchase. Legal and done.

No need.

VA dealer can sell you rifle with standard mags.

Only Cabela's thinks they cannot do this.

Feb 28, 2013
    What does or is that supposed to mean? Am I not allowed to ask or discuss Guns and how to purchase my first AR on a gun forum?

That’s called “battered gun owners’ syndrome”. New members are treated like shit as a general rule, usually by those who have to compensate fer undersized genitalia.

Basically, you’re a libtard troll until the group think decides otherwise.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    What does or is that supposed to mean? Am I not allowed to ask or discuss Guns and how to purchase my first AR on a gun forum?

That’s called “battered gun owners’ syndrome”. New members are treated like shit as a general rule, usually by those who have to compensate fer undersized genitalia.

Basically, you’re a libtard troll until the group think decides otherwise.

Actually, it's just an inside joke. Hard to be sarcastic nowadays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom